Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

72 Frank Baker 9 - Ebay

Crazy price but this card is friggin impossible so I couldnt resist...

EO

Comments

• Options
    WOW
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    no Stahl for you !
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Yeah FB picked up the Stahl, very nice card, somehow I missed the listing...but I did snag the Holtzman.

EO
  • Options
    Hey EO, Do you now have a PSA 8 version for sale? Let me know at nbdowney@msn.com
  • Options
    Eric> Considering what the PSA8 Bakers have gone for, the hammer on the 9 wasn't out of line. It's one of the toughest cards in the set in PSA8, so 9s will be even tougher. Considering what I know I'd pay for a PSA8 Schaal IA, I shudder to think what it will take to get the first PSA9 of that card. The Holtzman is also a very tough 8 and an extremely tough 9. If you picked those two up, you had a good day.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Hi Neil,

No, dont have that card in an 8.

Eric
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    EO,

Nicely played. I wasn't sure if you were going to throw down the hammer that hard or not. You got a winner.

And I have to tell you... I was figuring and hoping that you had missed the Stahl listing. Its not quite as hard as the Baker, but PSUINNYC put down a stiffer bid than I was expecting for someone so new to the set.

So now you and Erik Jarvi have the only Baker 9's - this one was a 1 of 1 before DSL's got graded.
    And you and I have the only Holtzman 9's - same deal - now 1 of 2.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    PSU may be new to the set but he's probably had a faster ramp than anyone esp w the buyout of Montero's cards...he is clearly serious about making a run, and I wouldnt be surprised to see his set in the top 5 by next October's awards.

Eric
  • Options
    Agreed that PSU has started out very seriously by picking up Andy Montero's set and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down by adding 10%+ already on his own since then.

I'm not sure about him reaching that top 5 position by next October. Assuming you're still ahead of him and you've made the top 5 - he'll have to top Neil Downey's 8.01 set rating which means that he'll have to be 91+% complete in PSA 9. Thats a lot of harder to find 9's to add in 12 months. I won't say that he can't do it - but it will take a little bit of luck and more money than I'd want to spend to get there....
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    by next year Chris might make a serious play on the top spot.

with his kind of coin if he were to focus on just one set there would be no stopping him
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    As I'm sure Frank and Eric will attest, the more 9s you accumulate in a given set the harder the remaining ones are to find. Also, if a card has a PSA9 pop of only 2 then someone is getting left out.

Mike
  • Options
    I am hoping these high prices will attract more dealers to submit 72s so we can get some more 9s listed on Ebay...it's been somewhat sparse lately.

EO
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Eric> It seems DSL still seems to be submitting a decent number of 72s and seems to have good success getting 9s. However, my impression is that he's only submitting stuff he feels to be 9-quality. The 8s I've gotten from him the last couple months have been very nice. I'm hesitant to use the term "9s in 8 holders", but they have been very nice. But otherwise, the supply isn't nearly as consistent as it was say 12-18 months ago. Getting more people interested in building the set (at any grade) can only be good for all of us.

Mike
  • Options
    And now the Norm Cash as well...SWEET!

EO
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    if you guys just took turns you'ld save a fortune.
    these $400 commons will be $50 in a year or two.
    you'll never be whole on the set and if you sell
    the set in the near future you will have wasted
    more than just money.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    i doubt money is an objective in the 72 world. eric i would love to see some pictures in your 72 set.
    to clarify things did you guys say that andy montero sold his set to psuinnyc?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jackstraw,

Yes - a deal was struck. So, Andy has taken a pretty dramatic drop in the rankings but is working his way back up through his own submissions and low cost pickups on eBay. He's at #24 right now, but I'm sure that we'll see him back in the top 20 before the end of the year.

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!