Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Interesting Grading Results to Share

Last month I received a card back from PSA which was ungraded because of evidence of trimmimng. For those who care the card is a 1933 Ice Kings Ace Bailey. I examined the card in ever conceivable manner and just couldn't figure out what the hell PSA saw that I could not. The card looks fine accept for some normal wear. It certainly measures the same as my other Ice Kings.

So last Monday I sent the card to SGC. Of course, the card came back to me from SGC this morning graded the equivalent of VG-EX 4.

Have others had similar issues? What's the deal here with PSA?

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I've had that happen to me on a card I pulled straight from the pack. Who knows what the deal is, but I'm glad they generally err on the side of caution.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Tom,

I have had a fair number of cards--maybe 12-15-- that PSA has called trimmed that SGC graded. I have also had a fair number of cards that PSA called trimmed that graded the next time I sent them in to PSA.

If you really want to know, one of the best card graders in the country(he is a major dealer and submitter to psa) could give you his opinion--he lives near you.

Davalillo

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I had a card that was GRADED a PSA 7. I popped it to get regraded, because I thought it had a good chance at grading an 8. It came back un-gradeable/evidence of trimming. How is THAT possible???lol

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

If you really want to know, one of the best card graders in the country(he is a major dealer and submitter to psa) could give you his opinion--he lives near you.

Davalillo >>

Who might that be?
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Tom,

I will tell you privately--he is one of my two guys that I give raw cards to submit

1)He gets a cheap price from PSA
    2)He can go through the cards carefully and take out the one he thinks are unlikely to get an 8.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>one of the best card graders in the country(he is a major dealer and submitter to psa)
    could give you his opinion--he lives near you. >>

You brought it up here, may as well spill the beans. It is one a few guys and I know that you are not referring to VSI.

<< <i>1)He gets a cheap price from PSA >>

Oh so that game is still being played? Hmmm. No wonder PSA is having trouble making a profit. They keep giving sweetheart deals for $3 a slab to the "big" guys.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1)He gets a cheap price from PSA >>

Oh so that game is still being played? Hmmm. No wonder PSA is having trouble making a profit. They keep giving sweetheart deals for $3 a slab to the "big" guys. >>

They charge that much? I thought slabbing was in the $.50-1.00 range. Why would it be more than what a screwdown costs?
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    secret handshakes
    special favoritism
    extra special early show admission
    only rubbed with the hobby luminaries
    private whispers

welcome back
  • Options
    MyBig Toe,

Based on what they are charging me, I am guessing big submitters can submit at $4 per card excluding stars.

Would rather not announce guys name on this board but it would not take a genius to figure it out.

Davalillo
  • Options

A couple of years ago, CrazySC was one of the biggest, if not THE biggest submitter to PSA in the country. I've heard over 25,000 per year (cards, not $$).

Now that he no longer posts, there's no chance of that number being confirmed, is there?
  • Options
    Toppsgun,

Solomon is still a huge submitter. Not the guy I was referring to but undoubtedly he gets a great deal.

Davalillo
  • Options
    TG

25,000 a year? Try that number every month at one point. I'm sure he's cut back as a result of the economy etc., but it's a safe bet that the numbers are still mind boggling.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    And psa still goes through his submissions with a fine tooth comb to make sure he does not sneak a star in there--if they would focus on how to get Solomon's submissions up to 30,000 from 25,000 rather than worrying if he is sneaking a star or two in there they would be better off.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh so that game is still being played? Hmmm. No wonder PSA is having trouble making a profit. They keep giving sweetheart deals for $3 a slab to the "big" guys >>

All grading companies utilize a discount program for the big submitters, its not favortism its just business sense. If a submitter meets a pre-determined criteria, say 25,000 cards a year why should he get the same price that i do for 500+ submissions a year? In the PSA submission form there is a price break when you hit 100 cards of the same classification, so you better believe if I had 1,000 or 10,000 to submit I would ask for a better break. I'm sure ALL grading companies do this, and likewise with any other business. If a guy buys a $30 card with me should he warrant the same price break with a customer that will spend $5000? I am a small submitter, and have no problem w/ big submitters (dealers or collectors) getting a better break, as long as I know that I too can get that % off if I met the amount required...jay