Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Insane Non Sports Card

I guess I learned something new about Wacky Packages cards. Check out this auction:

Link

I figured some of you guys might be interested in these.

Does anybody know a story behind this card to make it so sought after? I'm curious.

Comments

• Options
    According to the Aug. '02 Mastro catalogue: "It is the undisputed key single card in the entire Wacky Packages genre ......The reason for the card's withdrawal from printing early in the issue, is apparent. Nabisco took exception to the insalibrous (?) image of a big hairy rat's incisors chomping on one of their foodstuffs, no matter how well intentioned the parody."

Another Wacky Pack the got the axe was "Cracked Animals" another Nabisco product (animal crackers). Same series, not quite as rare.

Wacky Packs rock! My dresser drawer was covered with them when I was a kid. (Mom was thrilled). I still have the dresser in my basement, the stickers are getting a little crusty on the edges, I was thinking about laquering the whole thing to preserve it's beauty. image
  • Options
    So this is the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan of Non-Sportscards.... Wow...
  • Options
    I know little about non-sports, but this is really an eye opener...

What really amazed me is the bid is up to $1600.00 for a sticker and still has 8 days to go...

I'm humbled by this deal...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Holy hole in the doughnut, Batman. That is more expensive than most Kellogg's cards put together!!!

• Options
    MBT...

Hmmmmmm....I guess you could look at it that way...That's fair...

On the other hand...I probably wouldn't sell my K cards to buy a sticker....'though it's a nice one..

$.02

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Larry,

Was just busting your oogg's.

I would not either and that is my $1,600.

MBT.
  • Options
    Great post. It's hard to believe the things we can learn everyday about collectibles. People collect everything under the sun and are willing to pay just about anything.

This particular card is funny as hell. I bet the people that buys these cards laugh at the prices we pay too.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    I'm very familiar with Topps Wacky Packs die cuts and stickers and own quite a number of raw. They first appeared in 1967 as die cuts and met with limited success. Topps then decided in 1973 to issue most of the same cards from 1967 again, but this time they were issued as stickers. A monster phenomenon took place after that. and what was born was the most successful non sports cards issue ever which ran on for a number of years.

The "Ratz Crackers" is just as rare as another 1967 issued called "Cracked Animals" (Animal Crackers). It is estimated that there are 50 of each in circulation. To Wacky Pack enthusiasts these are like the Honus Wagners of Wacky Pack collecting. There is one other 1967 die cut which is supposedly even rarer called "Jolly Mean Giant" yet for some reason it doesn't carry the same premium as the other two cards do.

Mastro just sold a "Cracked Animals" PSA 7 (highest grade available, I think 1 of 1) which sold for $1,909. Here is the link...

1967 Topps Wacky Pack Die Cut of Cracked Animals PSA 7
  • Options
    The non-sport market has been hot for over a year now. The Mastro auction last month had a 1962 Mars Attacks set that sold for $35,000, and it's only a 55 card set.
    For anyone looking for more information on Wacky Packages, www.nonsportupdate.com has a 48 page book on them for $9.95.

Richard

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Gemmintman gets gold star image
    edited to add: thanks for sharing with the class
  • Options
    Thanks Cheese Man image.