Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2 Huge 1953 Bowman Color Snipes

Wow...

That 2nd snipe with 2 seconds left really hurt.

1953 Bowman Color Cloyd Boyer PSA 8 POP 17

John

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    John,

All in all, I'm betting that Chris is just happy to have the card. He'd be a complete masochist if he enjoyed that $1000 wedgie. He's blasting through the 53 Bowman Color like no one that I've ever seen.

The set has to be a beauty - but its still his 71 set that makes me drool.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

SMR on a 9 is $1,200. Maybe he thought he could crack it out?image
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    That looks like a manual snipe too which is semi risky to do with 2 seconds left. Phone rings, you get startled, and auction ends. Oops
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Toppsgun-I believe you are joking around...that card is not a 9 (per the scan).

John
  • Options

<< <i>That looks like a manual snipe too which is semi risky to do with 2 seconds left. Phone rings, you get startled, and auction ends. Oops >>

If you are a serious and practiced sniper, familiar with the speed of the computer you are on, and get a rush from three seconds or less snipes, than it isn't that risky at all, it's an acceptable part of the game. No phones or anything else within reason can break the concentration needed to pull it off, I've perfected my sniping to the three to six second range and frequently pull off one and two second snipes. I can only imagine the surprise of the second highest bidder though upon seeing that they had been outbid.

Speaking of last minute action, check out this Wilson Franks Erskine that BOTN had go off last night.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    At those prices, I'll be looking to make my set in about a PSA 5...
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    brumbach -

I was just looking at that auction. Never seen the bidder pierredubied. In his bidder history he mainly collects PSA 7 & 8 1971 Topps. Seemed a bit strange to have a high snipe on a Wilson Franks card, especially since there have been other Erskines (not as nice) on eBay in the last 6 months. Any thoughts?

------------------------

need Wilson Franks
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    Live by the snipe, die (or pay out the a**) by the snipe. I saw the
    same thing happen to a PSA 10 from the '55 All-American set a couple
    months ago. The top two bidders sniped it up to $2300, and everyone
    else on the bidders list was below $1600. Still, the buyer, who I
    emailed to offer congrats, was happier than a woodpecker in a lumberyard
    to have that card in their set. Pretty crazy, but I guess I've been
    there, too (just not at those dollar levels).

still recovering from last nights Chili Peppers concert (no spring
    chicken here),

Chuck
  • Options

<< <i>brumbach -

I was just looking at that auction. Never seen the bidder pierredubied. In his bidder history he mainly collects PSA 7 & 8 1971 Topps. Seemed a bit strange to have a high snipe on a Wilson Franks card, especially since there have been other Erskines (not as nice) on eBay in the last 6 months. Any thoughts? >>

dstudeba

I don't collect Wilsons myself, I sort of stumbled upon that one on a random search. I don't have any and thought it would be cool to pick one up. I have seen pierredubied has a 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set registered, perhaps murcerfan can shed more light on him.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    dstudeba - The Erskine card was described as having sharp corners. I know they usually are off centered but would those corners qualify as sharp even for a Wilson Franks card?
  • Options
    aro13 -

It is funny that you mention that because when I read the description, I didn't agree with BOTN. It is a nice card, but in my humble opinion I don't think it was a 5 because of the centering. Maybe if it were 50/50 it would have gotten a 6 (because of the fantastic eye appeal a 50/50 centered Wilson Franks card has) but those corners definitely aren't 7 corners maybe 6 corners but doubtful. Look at the registry and you will see some corners that would take an eye out. mercerfan has a couple pictures up and so does Levi. Here is a 6 with better corners Feller PSA 6.

So I guess my answer to your question is that though I may have to give up a lot in condition (and cash) to get cards for my Hot Dog collection, I (and definitely all the guys ahead of me on the registry) still know what a sharp corner is, and those weren't.

However it is still a nice card, and BOTN got good money for it.

Did you get Sox tickets? I spent 20 minutes in the Virtual Waiting Room and gave up.

-------------------------

need Wilson Franks
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    eBay is all about timing. Seems to be really high for the Erskine in that grade. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, except in Vargha's case.