Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Long time lurker, second time poster... A friendly hello!

To All:

I've lurked on this board for around a year now, and posted once a few months ago (long enough ago that I don't even remember WHAT I posted). Anyway, I really enjoy this message board, and have learned a lot just by reading some of the posts here.

I've been collecting since 1983, with an extended break in the early 90's while in college. I've never been much of a "vintage" collector, so this board has taught me considerably on some of the older issues.

I've decided to do a 1973 Topps set, as that is my birth year, and I've always for some strange reason liked the 73's. I've been working on it for three months or so, and I'm at about 10% complete. I'm working with a pretty limited budget (as I'm working on some other sets -- see below), so I'm looking to do the set in mostly PSA 8, but I'm okay taking commons in PSA 7 if they look good. I certainly won't compete for a top spot with the likes of Wetzel, Castaldi, and others, but I'll have fun with my set and will enjoy showing it off to others. Despite that, I had some fun competing with Castaldi on a few PSA 8 commons a couple of Sundays ago!

As part of my desire to continue collecting some of the more current issues, I'm doing refractor sets in 2002 Bowman Chrome (football and baseball) and 2002 Topps Pristine (football and baseball), in addition to the 2002 Bowman Chrome Xfractor set. I've always liked the looks of the refractors and xfractors, and I think they look even better in PSA holders! I haven't submitted much out of these sets, but I'll be doing so in the next few months.

Also in the next few months, I'm hoping to start a 1983 Topps set in PSA 9 or better. That set is very special to me as it is the first set I collected as a child. Unlike my 1973 venture, I'll be submitting nearly everything for my 1983 set myself. It should be a lot of fun! Perhaps one day, I might be seen as the "Dean of the 83's"!

Thanks for reading -- I look forward to trying to contribute positively to this board for years to come!

Chad

Comments

• Options
    Welcome!

You're collecting history sounds a bit like mine. Welcome to the boards and I look forward to hearing more about your collection over time.

Cheers
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards - good luck on your sets!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Welcome Chad!!!

And you should probably stay away from those Castaldi and Wetzel characters... baaaaaddd influence.....image Best of luck on the 73 set!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Coucher73, it's nice to have you here image.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Chad,

Welcome to the boards..Im just 2 years older than you...but can really appreicate the early 80's when we collected as kids....best of luck with the 1983's.

John
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Chad , Glad you're not collecting my set ! Welcome to the Board ! I'm fairly new myself , so it's nice to see more new people join in ! Robby
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Chad,

Welcome and best of luck on those 73's.

I have a PSA 9 1983 Topps Fisk on ebay ending in the next couple of days.
    Check out seller ID aja4rayb. Should go pretty cheap.

Regards
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Most of these people here are crazy, so you should try to restrict your reading to just my posts and maybe those of a few others.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Chad welcome and good luck on the 73's always a favorite set of mine