Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

dipping a coin / washing a car: it's a stupid analogy

a coin's patinated surface is inherent to the coin. dipping it strips off that patination, removes part of the coin.

the analogy that "if i wash my car, it's still the same car, it's still original" fails because it misses the point. a better analogy would be stripping the clear-coat off your car, which is like dipping the protective patina off a coin.

car A & car B are both identical rolls royces w/ identical factory wax jobs. moron A uses dishwashing liquid & strips all the factory wax off his car A, billy-bob B doesn't. they both drive their cars around for a year. whose car is gonna be the worse off after that?

i think the plasticizing of our hobby/industry has gotten so rampant & omnipresent that most coin collector-wannabe's are completely clueless - they really do believe the FALSE statement that a "proper dipping is harmless" to a coin. it's not.

note that i am not referring to conservation, which does not change the inherent patina of the coin, but to "dipping" as in dipping in an acidic solution to "brighten" the coin.

K S

Comments

• Options
    Have you run out of other people to disagree with, so you're proposing your own stupid analogies and counterarguments?? image

Slabs are also like a garage. So there.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    If we dip you would you become brighter? image

Sorry couldn't resist.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Slabs are also like a garage. So there. >>

when was the last time you opened up your garage & actually enjoyed driving your car?

oops that's right, can't open your slabs & enjoy the coins, can you.

K S
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    DOG PILE!!!!

You finally realized the cleaning cars vs cleaning coins analogy was wack and you,re just now posting this revelation?

I was hoping someone would. I figured it,d be you. I just didnt count on it coming so late. image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My jeep has a nice patina on it. I haven't "dipped" it in a while. Personally the thought of dipping coins scares me a bit. It's changing the surface on a microscopic scale which is damage of a sort. It is commonly attractive damage, but still damage.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure you can!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i><< Slabs are also like a garage. So there. >>

when was the last time you opened up your garage & actually enjoyed driving your car?

<<Sure you can!>> >>

hey baley, just tried it out. no matter how many time i press the garage door button, danged slab just won' open!!!

K S
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A rare car can be repainted. A rare coin can't be replated, although some have tried! Sticking a coin in a sulphurous tonebox for a couple of months is no substitute for original toning. Once the luster is thinned by acid dipping, the coin is damaged forever. The "grey dirt" patina formed over the years on silver coins provides protection for the coin.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    With classic cars the question is not whether they have been conserved but how well, coins should be the same.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a member of classic car clubs for 20 years. Try to find a Duesenberg that has not been repainted. Cars and coins are apples and oranges. No similarity.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Those last two posts reminded me of an event we had here two years ago. Had about 24 Duesenbergs in town stopping by on their way up to Auburn. There was one that was really nice that had a little metal plate that indicated that it had won an award at a classic car event for its originallity. The metal plate was riveted to the body of the car!!! Ok, I know it was off topic, but it shows we don't have a monopoly on stupidity.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The Body of this baby had a acid bath prior to restoration...

Notice the Red Patina toning it currently has..... maybe a little at but who cares!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorkkarl:

I agree with you on this one. There is a difference between restoring a classic car and keeping a coin original... washing cars and coins are different. Unfortunately some coins need help because they were improperly stored and have pvc issues or even other problems that require conservation to prevent further damage.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    your right coinkat. the problem is w/ newbies or coin-collector-wannabes who are clueless as to how CONSERVING vs DIPPING are 2 completely, totally different things.

K S
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The patina (and that's a very kind word for it when it is ugly) is not comparable to a factory wax job. The patina is comparable to what happens after it leaves the factory.

Driving a car with it's wax stripped might relate to circulating a coin, but I don't choose to circulate my choice coins.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file