Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

semi-OT: would this image on an eBay listing offend you?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
Until recently, to get the little "picture" icon on an eBay listing, you had to host one picture with them, even if you had pics in your HTML (which I usually do). Some folks would use a one-pixel blank gif or a little image logo, but I tried to be more creative and used this image:

The brief story behind the picture: a good friend of mine runs a couple of humor websites, one of which he parlayed into a book deal. He also hosts my little-used, little read vanity domain. When his book came out I sent him my copy for an inscription with a note asking him to "please make it interesting, as boring inscriptions have a poor resale value on eBay." The picture above, featuring the author's cartoon alter-ego, is what came back on the inside of my book.

Do you think I end up driving away potential bidders by referring to them, even facetiously, as "drones", or am I way overthinking this one? I haven't used it since eBay added a switch to add the picture icon, but I honestly wouldn't mind using it again - I enjoy having a little levity in my listings.

Any and all opinions welcome,

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't put it in my listing to begin with but anyone that is seriously offended with that needs to get out of the house more often.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Depends what you were selling. If you are selling bee keeping supplies I would think it was funny.
    Otherwise I would just think you were strange.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    not me

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    nope. it looks just like me.

on 2d thought, others might be offended by how i look...

K S
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't offend me, I think it's funny as hell. image But, I'm sure there are plenty of wienies who would be offended.

(Note to any wienies who are about to respond to thread: Get over it).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me, but I'd go with an even funnier pic. image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Yes, there may be some offended weenies. Problem is, weenies have money too...

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    I don't think you'll offend anyone. However, I think people buying coins may worry about your professionalism if they don't know who you are. In other words, they won't be offended but might say to themselves:

"That's a little strange....I better make sure this guy is legit."

Best of luck.
    Go well.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would make a point of not bidding. I would email all his bidders and point out that this seller thinks we are "drones." and recommend they cancel their bids. The following week I would place outrageous snipe bids to win all his remaining items and then not pay. I would immediately leave all negatives for the feedbacks. I would keep replying to his auction emails by saying only DRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONEDRONE
    I would call the ANA and report that he disrespected me, and call Coin World to do an expose. Then it would be time to start making the personal visits to his residence.

just kidding. I'd probably smile and move on.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just spent about twenty minutes browsing through his ratings of various and sundry items, and LMAO.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone who replied so far. My whole intention with the pic (aside from getting my little camera icon) was to inject a bit of levity into the listing, and maybe send my friend a few readers as thanks for his webhosting. That seems to be what you all took from it as well - lordmarcovan, thanks for showing me the referral concept is sound image .

I'm a little concerned (as someone said) that I might be considered unprofessional, but I would hope my feedback would speak louder than the image. I don't mind at all (I'd be proud, really) if I'm thought to be strange.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file