Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1887-P Rotated Die Morgan

I have been offered an 1887-P Morgan with a 135 degree rotation (CW - Vam 1) in AU55 condition with SPL surfaces. Can anyone please give me an idea of what a good price for this would be. I have no idea of what this variety is worth, but it is listed on the VAM links as "Rare". I don't want to pay too much for the coin and need some idea of what a respectable price for this variety would be.

I sent an email to the VAM site, but they never responded, so ANY help would be greatly appreciated, I have to make a decision by this weekend.

Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    Good question - I'd be interested in knowing what kind of price range such a thing would be in - Maybe Gilbert or Dog97 will pop in with a response.
  • Options
    I was watching this auction to see what it would end at Ebay:3046042893
    It was a 78CC in xf45. I have the same year coin with almost the same rotation.
    This one sold for $242. I bought mine earlier this year with a BIN for $90 but it's not graded yet.
    Tom

78cc rotated
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Fey issued a special "Top 100 Insights" article on rotated die Morgans this spring, discussing much basic information and commentary. He also offered a price guide (perhaps the first ever) for rotated die coins.

A 135-degree rotate is a big one, and is very desireable as such. Fey classifies rotations of 80 to 160 degrees as being "Region 2" coins, which are more valuable than Region 1 rotates. His value estimate for an 1887 in AU is $300 for Region 1 and $350 for Region 2. He lists MS60 at $100 more for each. (1887 is apparently a scarcer rotated date, as some AU rotated dates are $200 or less.)

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trooper and DennisH: Very Interesting. I purchased one of a hoard of 1878-CC's to come out a few years ago. I got mine about a year ago, PCGS certified MS-63 w ~75 degree CCW rotation -- and got a good deal on it -- paid $200.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Dennis H. beat me to it. I would agree and add that in my opinion, rotated die collecting will become very hot at some point.
  • Options
    Stuart -- Fey says your '78-CC rotate in MS63 is worth $400, so you made a great buy! (Personally, I think $500 is more like it now.)

Wolf359 -- I totally agree with you! (I just wish the silly things weren't so hard to find, so I could get some more!)

Here's a scan of my best one... maybe it came out of the same horde that Stuart's coin did:

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The holder says rotated rev. How bout a pic of the rev please?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Here's a web site for more info. I belive it's a members here.
    Tom
    Rotated Web Site
  • Options
    stman -- Here you go! (Looks like more than 75 degrees, doesn't it?

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    This is what 75 degrees looks like (assuming north is 0, to approximate where 0 would be on the image)

• Options
    stman -- Here you go! (Looks like more than 75 degrees, doesn't it?

After measuring your coin with the Rota-Flip it is accurately labeled as 75°, as for the value of the 1887 there really is no true value guide available just rough estimates based on what some coins have sold for in the past. My 1887 $1 NGC AU50 rotated 142°cw that I purchased from Leroy Van Allen cost me $145 but prices are routinely all over the map. Earlier this year a 1923 Peace $1 NGC AU55 rotated about 90° sold for $290 on Ebay and about a month later I purchased a raw UNC piece on Ebay (actually turned out to be a true no rub MS coin) rotated 93°cw for $250 and it now resides in a NGC MS61. In the end it is worth what you are willing to pay for it, just for the record I will never give an estimate (price) for a rotated die coin because the limited collector interest (past sales records). Many coin prices will depend on the series as sometimes collectors of a certain series will have an interest in owning an error coin as an oddity to their regular set so that can add to the interest and some coins will only appeal to error collectors. For Morgan dollars the interest goes beyond error collectors so expect to pay a little more then a series who's main interest is by error only buyers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file