Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some free-submission Nickel grades.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
These must have posted late Monday. Overall the grades aren't bad and the coins all have nice eye appeal. The 1928-D was discussed some in this light-hearted thread and I also took it and the 1927 to Baltimore where HomeRunHall and most others pegged them at MS63/64. The two Jeffersons were NGC crackouts from PF68CAM holders. I honestly thought the 1955 had a shot at DCAM and expected them to both grade 68, though the 1953 has somewhat weak contrast. The mirrors on both are exceptional and no doubt carried them for the Cameo designation in the eyes of the graders.

All the coins will fill holes in my collection and I managed to avoid the AU58 demon grade that had plagued some earlier submissions. I have the forum to thank in part for that. Sorry to say I have no pictures of the Jeffersons, perhaps when they arrive home.

Al H.

1 21342102 1927 5C MS64
2 21342103 1928-D 5C MS63
3 21342104 1953 5C PR67CA
4 21342105 1955 5C PR67CA

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Nice grades, great score on the proofs!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Sounds like you did really well on this lot Al.
    WTG.
    Cant wait to see pics.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    YOU GOT SCREWED ON THE 28-D!!!! Oh well, whatcha gonna do.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I think the 27 is a 64.9. A little weakness in the braid killed it.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Shamika and Jonesy

these two were my first Buffalo submissions and they should serve well as "teachers" for me in the future. i guess it's a natural progession backward in the nickel five-cent denomination for me. the strike characteristics of the different mints will probably be the biggest challenge to learning to grade the series.

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file