Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sorry, but I gotta say this about that Hibernia.........

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
..........am I the only one who thinks the woman on that coin is about as dog-butt-ugly as any on a U.S. issue!!??? I've linked to the much maligned SBA for a comparison, and while Susan B. may in fact look a tad bit masculine, that Hibernia woman has a honker that would rival, well, Jimmy Durante!! Geez, why all the fuss about a crap design anyway??

At least the SBA paid tribute to a leader for womens suffrage and the Shriver Dollar paid tribute to the cause of a champion for the handicapped, two often mentioned modern issues which depict not-so-attractive women. What is Ms. Hibernia noted for aside from being an ugly Brit??

Oh yeah, is this coin worth as much out of the holder as in?? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hey, JMHO.

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets: Are you calling King George a woman?

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Yup, I think that is what he did. image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Waaaaaait a minute. Are you telling me that the obverse is a woman?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    That's a chick? EEWW! On the rev looks like freddy.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    hey Stuart

further proof of my point!!! i can't even tell the gender of the person on the coin. is it a man?? is it a woman?? is it a eunuch?? man, woman or eunuch that is an ugly person. i don't collect colonials so i wouldn't know, the thing has just been on the top of the page for so long in one form or another that it got under my skin. is it the good king?? either way, i pity whomever it was, is or should have been. i would hope that they were loved by their mother or perhaps the family pet!!

al h.image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Stuart, I think he is.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keets: Are you calling King George a woman? >>

Worse yet: Keet- are you calling SBA a woman?!image

peacockcoins

• Options
    in hindsight, i guess i'm impuning the design as much as anything. but i did at first believe it to be a woman.

al h.image
  • Options
    I think he means in drag!!! That is basically the way blue bloods or members of the royal family looked. You never know till the wig is off and the gown on the floor!!
    Vice is nice, Incest is best but if we want an heir, let's keep it in the family!!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    hey Pat

you got a problem with my gramma??

al h.image
  • Options
    Hibernia is to Ireland what Miss Liberty is to the US. She is on the back while King George on the obverse has the snoz to rival Durante's.

I prefer this version of Hibernia

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>What is Ms. Hibernia noted for aside from being an ugly Brit??

>>

One just might want to make at least a slight effort to study a series before they open their mouth. I would recommend at least reading Breen's introductions to his sections on both Woods' Rosa and Hibernia coinages
  • Options
    You are too nice for me to torture over this one..... much. image

The word "Rex" on the coin gives it all away.

Before we go any further..... I am male too.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is Ms. Hibernia noted for aside from being an ugly Brit??

>>

A great personality.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    hey lay off my new icon!

K S
  • Options
    Rex = King
    Regina = Queen
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl: Keets has a point. I think that your old icon was more attractive than the image on the obverse of your new one!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Abuell, quickly reading my Breens', I am now intriqued on who the Kings' whore is and more reading is slated for later! Those issues and dates are a little confusing, but America traded in almost worthless coinage. It would be interesting for the weight to be posted on the slab! Might end the confusion on what is what!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options

<< <i> It would be interesting for the weight to be posted on the slab! Might end the confusion on what is what! >>

The study and analysis of coin weights (metrology) is a vital component of the overall study of American colonial and confederation coinage. One particular aspect of this is that a coin's weight is like a fingerprint as an identifier. This is one of the reasons that most auction catalogues give the weights of colonial coins. As you aptly point out, the failure of slabbing services to list a coin's weight before encapsulating it does present a major problem for researchers of colonial coinage.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Ugly must of happened from all that royal inbreeding.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a beautiful coin minus that ugly droopy the dog nose, cheeks, jowels and chin. What ever happened to a little creative license? I mean look at the modern jefferson on the nickel or George on the quarter. Those dudes look like GQ Models, with steel jaws, perfectly coiffed hair and that regal, noble look.

Tyler

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Maybe that was creative license. Looked even worse than the coin would suggest.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    GEORGIUS DEI is the tip on his sex, folks.
    DSW
  • Options
    Actually, that was the standard for beauty in those days. Whatever the king looked like. Didn't have to worry about what Madonna or Brittney was wearing.
    DSW
  • Options
    I say it looks as nice as any US made coin in 1723. Oh, wait!! There are none!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

Hey, that woman just flipped me the bird!image
  • Options
    Here Keets. George I
  • Options
    One just might want to make at least a slight effort to study a series before they open their mouth.

hey abuell

oh, might one?? that would certainly cut down on almost the entire U.S. forum on some days!! i don't really think studying a series is a pre-requisite for commenting on it. image maybe it's a pre-requisite for commenting intelligently, but why should i stoop to that level?image and i must say, the longer i look at that coin the less it looks like a man and the more it looks like an extremely ugly woman!!

al h.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>man, woman or eunuch that is an ugly person >>

what would king george think of you?

K S
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who want to read more about Wood's Hibernia coins, here is a link to a long but very interesting article from the Colonial Newsletter. The article basically presents the position that these coins actually circulated in the U.S. colonies and so are a legitimate part of the U.S. colonial coinage. It also describes these coins' reception in Ireland.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    I gotta say this about this thread.

I havent laughed this good since the last Clankeye coin tale. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    bumped, just for the humor of it all. image
  • Options
    ttt - funny stuff!
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Keets.......Where's that paper bag........................?????????????
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    She may be ugly, but she's got a head full of cents...
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Be it a he or a she, not pleasent to gaze upon. BTW, dorkkarl, congratulations on 10,000 with your next post!
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>Be it a he or a she, not pleasent to gaze upon. BTW, dorkkarl, congratulations on 10,000 with your next post! >>

Dorkkarl has not posted since Thanksgiving, I think. I guess it's taking him this long to come up with a worthy post for number 10k!!
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Be it a he or a she, not pleasent to gaze upon. BTW, dorkkarl, congratulations on 10,000 with your next post! >>

I was thinking the exact same thing

congrats image

<<Dorkkarl has not posted since Thanksgiving, I think. I guess it's taking him this long to come up with a worthy post for number 10k!! >>

wait..what? darn you old thread... I take that back karl image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file