Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern Football PSA 10 rarities

Just read this article by Joe O in the new smr. Talks about 80-86 topps football and just how tough 10's are to get. I've been picking away at couple of these sets, mainly 83-86 topps sets in psa 9 or 10's. I hope this article generates some more submissions from these sets, would like to see some 10's come up. Just saw Louis Lipps psa 10 1985 go for about $150, and I was thinking i could bring it home for $70 range, you never see 85 or 86 topps come up in psa 10. I can't recall any 86 topps in a 10 on ebay for last 6 months i've been looking. Will be curious if interest picks up in 80's football. I really like this period for football cards. The 89 score set is really picking up interest in the registry. I even seen where Chris R is in the mix for 1985 topps football. Right now there is both a 82 and 83 topps Montana PSA 10 on ebay, both could end up in the $300 to $500 is my guess............ NHLfightguy

Comments

• Options
    $400 to $500 for the 82 Montana, maybe a little more if we see the right players.
    Some people were down on the SMR this month about that artilce, I was very glad to see it.
    It's good to look into the future of those years. That Lipps RC was nice - but a Steeler RC like that will consistently sell for $100+.

I had some common 10 last year I sold in the $70 range. But reguardless of how mnay people are on the registry right now, these sets will pick up a lot of interest in the next couple of years. I will be submitting large amounts of 85 and 87 before the end of the year. Best of Luck!

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Just checked ebay and now see a psa 10 1986 topps bears/payton team card out there. Will be curious how this one does, just wish it didn't have such big opening bid......
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I think it will be years before we can understand the 80's graded football market. There just has not been enough graded, and although the thin market produces results like the Louis Lipps card, what would happen if 10,000 more were submitted? Maybe only 10 would come back 10's and Steelers collectors would clamor to get them, or maybe 200 would and the market would be saturated. We just don't know yet how much high-grade 80's football the market can bear, and more importantly, how much is out there raw. I suspect there is a ton out there raw and the market will never be all that strong. That said, I love these sets and will continue to build them in high grade.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I'm doing the 89 Score set myself. I've said that this set is a labor of love. Condition sensitive years such as 85 and 86 are going to be extremely tough to do in 10. AlanAllen is right though. It all depends on how much raw still exists, and more importantly how much gets submitted.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion