Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for you 1969 Topps Experts ?

I was checking out the Population reports of the 1969 Topps Baseball , and was wondering why so few cards of # 582 - Checklist with Red circle on Back have been submitted ? Only two cards - one Nine and one Seven ? Is it difficult to find or no one wants to submit a lower grade card for submission ? Other than the Psa/Dna cards - this has to be the lowest card total of any card in the Pop . of 69,s ! What Gives and sorry if this has been asnwered before ! Robby
Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
1963 Fleer
Lou Brock Master Set

Comments

• Options
    PSA probably didn't differentiate the differences until more recently. So many of the non variations may in fact be variations.
  • Options
    ROBBY-
    THE POP REPORT SHOWS ONLY 4 CARDS GRADED AS RED OR WHITE CIRCLE. I HAVE ALL 4 OF THESE , AND ONLY RECENTLY (at NSCC ATL CITY) SUBMITTED THEM FOR THE CORRECT LABELING. THE OTHER 87 GRADED CARDS ARE VAR "NA", MEANING THEY COULD BE EITHER RED OR WHITE CIRCLES. RON HOBBS
    TWINRON
  • Options
    Robby

Twinron is right as I have two nines of each variation. In 69 alot of the pops are wrong.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave + Ron - didn't realize there was a problem with the Pop. reports for 69's ! You guys are great with coming up with the answers ! Robby
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white letter variations are way off as well. It appears some have the populations reversed between the 'YL' and 'WL' versions.
  • Options
    Not to mention numerous resubmits of PSA 8's in hopes of PSA 9s and 10s. The pop report for the 1969 issue is pretty useless. I am even seeing cards slabbed as "white letter variations" that are clearly not white letter variations, yet these same cards seem to warrant a premium on the auction circuit? Your best bet to gauge a sense of difficulty or rarity is to simply ask experienced collectors of the 1969 set here on these boards!

Dave's observations on the#582 checklist card are interesting. The red circle variation is plentiful in high grade, but I have had difficulty finding the white circle variation in PSA 9 or higher. Its commendable that he has 2 examples of the white letter variation in PSA 9.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    What about the diagonal cut 4 and the complete 4 on one of the checklists. Its in the variation book I gave you Ron. I've never seen a nice complete 4, just the VG one I have.

Bob
  • Options
    In regards to my previous message, I meant "white circle" variation for #582, not "white letter" variation.

Bob,

My experience with the 'clean and straight "4" ' on #314 is similar. I have seen plenty of diagonal cut "4", but not straight that could muster a definite PSA 7. I found a few in Atlantic City, but nothing worth purchasing in hopes of a PSA 8 or higher. On the same note, there are certainly cut off "L" variations ["L" of Boswell] on the Mantle checklist card (#412), but I did not find a well centered PSA 9. I don't know if there are PSA 9 cards of the 1969 #412 card with the "cut off L" variation. If the card is not well centered on the front for a PSA 9, then I don't bother looking at the back to see if it is the full "L" or cut off "L". The #412 on my set on the registry has an intact "L".

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Which 4 are you referring to on the checklist?

Dave
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    There are a few other not well known 1969 checklist variations that are really never mentioned. Checklist #314 , on the back the 4 in the card number usually has a diagonal cut to it rather than a clean 4. On CL #412 you have an issue with the L on Dave Boswell.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob

Thanks for the info my 412 9 has both L's in his name my 314 which is a 8 looks to be straight and full. Iguess I will look now on others to see the diagnal. How prevalent is the diagnal.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

I don't know how prevalent the "slanted" 4 is on #314. However, I find the "straight" four to be more difficult to find period regardless of grade. I believe the "Boswell" and "4" variations of #412 and #314, respectively, are a result of cropping differences that occurred when the checklists were printed with 2 different series, but I have no definite proof of this phenomenon.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Ron

Thanks for the info I will look a little more careful now.

Dave
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I've seen a few and owned one 1969 WL variation that was not properly noted on the flip as well (it was a PSA 6 Gaylord Perry). The store I bought it from didn't even recognize it until I pointed it out (then they made me pay $10 instead of $6 for it. Joke was on them, since I sold it for $85).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked my checklists and found the #314 to have the slanted 4 and the #412 to have the cutoff 'L'. Unfortunately it's only an 8 (high end). I'll have to keep my eye out for these subtle variations.