Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here is a simple method of cracking slabs - Pictures

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over the course of about 16 months or so, I can recall many requests for information about how to crack slabs.

I saw someone do this in a very elegant manner at a coin store a few months ago, and thought I might be able to
drop a little science on for posterity.

Just a little care is required so as not to injure the intended coin to be freed.

The pictures below show the process:

Using a pair of $14.00 bolt cutters and nothing else (except the coin of course)

I'm not really sure which one is the tool, the bolt cutters or the
jamoach holding them.

This is a bit of a close-up of the cutters

The cutters, jaws agape

This was the coin I chose to sacrifice for this educational post

This is the intended victim, in the jaws of ... (well, you get the picture)

Just make sure that the jaws of the cutters are well short of the coin
to be emancipated, otherwise, this will be a disaster.

Ever closer to the end

Done

Here is the results of the operation

Here is the remains to be disposed of as you wish.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Do you make house calls?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Tom

a definite improvement. thanks for sharing.

al h.image

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    too dangerous Daddy-o, you donot want to crack a slab with the crack running across the coin. This could damage the coin..
    Simply beat it along the edge with a hammer, it will crack, then pry it open with a screwdriver.... The Russ method, works like a champ...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>too dangerous Daddy-o, you donot want to crack a slab with the crack running across the coin. This could damage the coin.. Simply beat it along the edge with a hammer, it will crack, then pry it open with a screwdriver.... The Russ method, works like a champ... >>

No danger at all, as the jaws of the cutters close, the slab splits to the north and south along the same plane as the coin, it doesn't scratch or even come close to scratching the coin being liberated. 2 seconds, no flying plastic.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you make house calls? >>

I can but you pay shippingimage

Should I consider setting up a booth at the upcoming shows?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Can you fit in a crate and use ups?
  • Options
    I use a hand held pair of wire cutters, same method otherwise, and it works great for me. It cracks and breaks no different than the bolt cutters.
  • Options

<< <i>Can you fit in a crate and use ups? >>

As long as a sofa can fit in there too!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those three Beanie Babies on the TV set behind you have frightened looks on their faces!

peacockcoins

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    No matter what the method, I'd be too scared of damaging the coin. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Oh, and don't forget to return the certs to keep the population report accurate.

Yea, right.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>Those three Beanie Babies on the TV set behind you have frightened looks on their faces! >>

Maybe they're coin collectors.

I must admit, seeing that bolt cutter so close to the coin makes me a little nervous.
    Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Those three Beanie Babies on the TV set behind you have frightened looks on their faces! >>

While there is a possibility that they may be next, I'd have one hell of a ticked off wifey to deal with if that happened. No worries.
  • Options
  • Options
    I prefer my Craftsman benchvise with the soft jaw insert! Bolt cutters are for fingers of people who tick me off!!!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I hammer the edges enough to be able to pry with my fingers. The most important thing of all is common sense. The problem I see with your method is, what if the plastic twists?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    A small jig saw works as well.

That hammer looks like one from Obryckis.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Gee, and I've been wasting time and ammo using the AR15....Ken
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I disagree with using bolt cutters. The easiest and safest method is a large "C" clamp. It allows you to use just the right pressure to crack a slab.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    I used to put them in a bench vise and tighten it just enough to squeeze the slab a bit. You can hear the seam cracking slowly around the slab if you get it set just right. I wear eye protection since the day one blew apart and a chip put a nice cut on my forehead.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Two words ... band saw.

(sorry, no photos - maybe some other time)
  • Options
    WOW! Looks perrrrrrrrrrrty easy! Beats those 4ft bolt, chain or lock cutter I was using...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Does this work on SEGS slabs?
  • Options
    2 Words !

Bench Vise !
  • Options

<< <i>Does this work on SEGS slabs? >>

I don't have enough SEGS to know, my only one is a 1916d dime and I have no desire to crack it. If you send me one I'll give it a shot.
  • Options
    Thanks Tom for the Upgrade I've got the bigger cutter but always used a small version a lot harder on the hands with the smaller cutter, but did the job. image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS. Liberty on the reverse of the coin must of been really scared from seeing that bolt cutter coming at her.image

Hey, whatever works for you to crack a slab then do it.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Why is everyone using things that cause pieces to fly. Just melt the thing with a torch and the whole thing will melt and/or burn away with no pieces flying. Soaking in acid will also get rid of all that plastic stuff and no scratches on coins. Actually, I to use the bench vice method.
    Carl
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I've used bolt cutters, a hammer, tile cutters, a vise, a vise and a hacksaw or a coping saw and I've used a jigsaw. I've even used a table saw and that's the least work of all.

Whatever is handy and you feel comfortable with is kewl. In my case it's whichever tool I haven't misplaced or buried under other stuff in the garage.

I haven't tried a cutting torch yet, but with the right tip, that would be a piece of cake too. Might be fun to try that out.

What does burning slab plastic smell like, anyone know?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does burning slab plastic smell like, anyone know? >>

Yuck!! Its obnoxious.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i use this

• Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374

<< <i>Gee, and I've been wasting time and ammo using the AR15....Ken >>

ya need to put that Mattel toy away... either a LAW or M60 some of those slabs are monsters.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>i use this

image >>

That can't be your garage. It's way too clean. Garages are made for clutter ya know. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does this work on SEGS slabs? >>

I don't have enough SEGS to know, my only one is a 1916d dime and I have no desire to crack it. If you send me one I'll give it a shot. >>

Don't have any more. I opened one with a saw and the other one is at ANACS being reholdered. Probably won't buy any more coins in them.
  • Options
    Burglary Tools, TTT. image
    Just Learning!
    Thank You
    SilverDollar
  • Options

<< <i>too dangerous Daddy-o, you donot want to crack a slab with the crack running across the coin. This could damage the coin..
    Simply beat it along the edge with a hammer, it will crack, then pry it open with a screwdriver.... The KnowItAllRuss method, works like a champ... >>

[quote edited by MBT]

I agree wholehartedly!
  • Options
    Throw it up in the air and shoot the dam thing with a 45
  • Options
    I USE C-4 AND A 10 SECOND FUSE. YA'LL BETTER RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!!!
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file