Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ethical question again

Hello.
Now it is my turn to ask the ethical question.
There is a coin shop at the flee market in our city.
I have sold some coins to the owner and bought some coins from
him. His store located inside the building. Now I am thinking to start selling
coins outside of this building .
My question is : what I should do with the prices on the same coins what a have sold
to him?
For example: I sold the 2000 PR69 PCGS Kennedy 50c for $19.00 to the owner
of the coin shop. He put the $60.00 sticker price on the coin, but I will be
happy to sell this coin at the flee market for $19.00
What I should do, offer to buy back my coins ?
What is your opinion?

Thank you very much for your response.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Price your coins at a little more than what you are willing to sell them for as people like to feel like they are getting a bargain by not paying the marked price. Like if you want a min of $19.00 mark them $25.00 so you have some bargaining room.

You sold the coins to the dealer so he can sell them for whatever he wants. If you want to buy them back I doubt he will sell them to you for the same price he paid you as someone won't make a living doing that.

• Options
    If you think you have some obligation to the dealer, you don't! image

• Options
    When a customer asks why the guys coin inside is so high just tell them your overhead is lower out side!
    OR Price the same coin at $60 and 70% off sale! Just joking but good luck and have fun.
    Regards, MapMaker.
  • Options
    MIKFLOMIKFLO Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your help
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    When you sell to a dealer, you don't sell at retail. When you sell to the public, you sell at retail. I don't see any problem. Dealers always pay on a different scale than the public.
  • Options
    Don't worry about the dealer. He can take care of himself.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you set up and are a legitimate outdoor seller, then sell the coins at the level you need. If you are able to sell them cheaper than he can, then you will either force him to drop his prices, or take away all of his business. Also, if you can steer more customers your way that are selling, you will also do much better getting material for re-sale.

The rules are slightly different here for flea market vendors selling collectibles. The flea markets in this area protect thier inside sellers (lease type vendors who have inside shops) by not allowing outside vendors (folks who sell outside on a week to week basis ) to sell collectibles and such. If the flea market has a leased vendor inside with say a coin shop, or racing memorbilia, then outside sellers cannont sell this same type merchandise. Also, they limit the number of inside vendors selling the same type of collectibles. So only a a couple of folks could actually sell coins at any given time.
  • Options
    Remember, just because he puts a $60 sticker on it doesn't mean that there is
    a buyer at the $60 level. (Or that he isn't planning on telling someone that he
    will let them have it for less to make them think that they have a bargin.)

If you want to sell coins at a flea market, do it because you want to sell coins.
    Don't do it because you think that you can under-sell a dealer nearby.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price your coins, not his coins. Offer your coins at a level that you feel is appropriate. Regardless of what you do, the guy inside will not be happy as you are now the competition.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    This all depends on what type of relationship you want to have with this dealer. Think about the working relationship you want to have (or NOT have). craig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file