Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$22,000 for a 1940 Lincoln Cent !!!!

I've heard a rumor that the highest graded 1940 Lincoln Cent was recently sold for $22,000.This must be a record price for a 1940 Lincoln Cent.Has anyone else heard about this wonder coin?I'll bet it is REALLY SPECIAL.

Stewart

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That's a really old coin!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Was it a proof, because proofs seem to sell for a lot more especially when they are the highest graded, for example a 1937:

Link
  • Options
    Actually saw the coin in a PCGS MS68 RED at Alexandria Coin Club show several months ago owned by Andy of Angel Dees Coins. My understanding was that it had a new owner for 25K. Ron
  • Options
    Well, that's more reasonable than that modern cent that went for like $36k awhile back. I don't get it though, to tell you the truth. A morgan dollar in MS68 MIGHT be worth $36k but a cent? A modern cent? And now a 1940, common cent, for $25k? Well, I guess I can't complain. I'm glad the market is doing well.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

W-W-W-WOW!!!!!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it. Am I missing something?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I agree, it seems a bit much for a 1940 Lincoln. Several years ago, before the registry craze, it would have been ridiculous to even send late date Lincolns in for grading. The pops are low now because the coins just haven't been graded yet. It is my contention that these common coins will again become common in the pop reports and these insane prices will settle down.

After having written that, please don't copy it and show it to me in five years when I'm wrong!!!image
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I don't care if ms68 1940 Lincoln's are common or uncommon. I'm happy with my raw ms65/66 that cost $2.
  • Options
    This kind of thing is going to come back someday and bite this hobby square in the a$$.

If you don't think that 40 cent and the proof 70- 63dcam are going to loose at least 90 % of there value in the next 10 years then I wamt to have some of what your smoking [they call it mellow yellow!!!]

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Here are just a few things I have bought for about $20-22K each over the years (mostly between 1995 and 2000):

1796 25c rainbow toned AU58 ex marvin Taichert (looked better than most MS63's) $23K

1858 seated dollar (proof only date, about 180-200 minted) NGC PR65 with lilac, lavender & blue toning $18K

1877 gold $1 NGC PF66CAM (mintage of 20) $22K

1866 Rays 5c PCGS MS66 and 1867 Rays 5c PCGS MS67 both superb, original and probably finest known

1839 Gobrecht $1 NGC PF64 attractive and cameo $24K

1802 half dime raw XF $22.5K rare !!!

1808 $2.50 PCGS AU53 $24K rare !!!

Continental dollar, CURENCY, pewter, PCGS MS62

1795 50¢ PCGS MS63 rainbow color

Those are a few of the coins I have been privileged to own for a while ...
    You can draw your own conclusions about the 1940 Lincoln cent.

Sunnywood

• Options
    Sure, it sounds like alot, but what else can you get for 25K these days? Except maybe one of these:

Andy Lustig

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great if we can just enjoy our coins and not worry what someone who has all the money he'd ever need is willing to spend to get a pop top Lincoln cent. I for one, ENJOY my Lincolns for what they are, a nice group of mint state and proof coins which I acquired at a price that I could live with and at a condition I can enjoy owning. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Strangely enough there are some people who buy coins for pleasure, not for profit. Radical thought, isn't it?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be great if we can just enjoy our coins and not worry what someone who has all the money he'd ever need is willing to spend to get a pop top Lincoln cent.

I don't think anyone is worried. I do think that some of us are trying to provide guidance and insight to those among us that might benefit.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I got in (4) 1939(D) Lincolns in PCGS-MS68RD and was marketing them for around $2000 - $2500/coin. Most thought the price was absurd; only a couple guys ended up buying them with one collector taking multiple coins. Now, a few years later we see prices of $22,000 for these same type coins (mine was dated in the 1930's at least! image ). So, what can one possibly say?:

1. These MS Lincoln pop top modern coins over the past couple years appear to have outperformed nearly every numismatic collectible, classic or modern, in the marketplace. Some have even seen upwards of 1000% returns, give or take.

2. Past performance certainly does not guaranty future results image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Strangely enough there are some people who buy coins for pleasure, not for profit.

Russ - You of all people should know that coins are more pleasurable when they are profitable!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    So, what can one possibly say?

Mencken and Barnum probably said it best.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard a rumor that the highest graded 1940 Lincoln Cent was recently sold for $22,000.This must be a record price for a 1940 Lincoln Cent.Has anyone else heard about this wonder coin?I'll bet it is REALLY SPECIAL.

Stewart >>

There is no way any 1940 Lincoln Cent could be $22,000 special.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mencken and Barnum probably said it best."

That sums it up nicely! image

And, I do not miss those 39(d) MS68RD coins one bit, as I know, I would have sold them 100x over if I had held onto them, every time a new price level was established.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I would like to hear anyone say that any lincoln cent less then 70 years old is a good deal at 20-30 K, Speak up !!!!!

Does anyone think only rich people with money to burn buy expensive coins ???

Does anyone think that hyping coins that aren't normally worth alot doesn't affect other collectors ???

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options

<< <i>Russ - You of all people should know that coins are more pleasurable when they are profitable! >>

Andy,

Not true! I lose money on every coin I buy, but derive great pleasure from sending them out to good homes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ - You of all people

Not true! I lose money on every coin I buy, but derive great pleasure from sending them out to good homes.

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, I only have one thing to say about your last comment. image

Les
  • Options
    I'd be more than happy to sell my 1939 Lincoln Cent NGC MS67 RD for a fraction of the cost and you can take the chance on getting a 68 when you resubmit it. image
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would gladly pay $22,000 for a 1940 Lincoln - if it was a #2 condition 1940 Lincoln Zephyr V12.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1940....WOW.....Stewart, that's older than me.....how about you??image

Zephyr.....isn't that the same as passing gas??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    $22,000????? That's probably more than Stewart paid for his whole collection, and he's #1. image

• Options

Gerry do you have that 1940 hiding under your paper bag icon????

Stewart is too tight to spend that kind of money on just one coin ! image
    Doug
  • Options
    Here comes the chorus again. $22K is way too much for a modern coin. Don't be fooled. These will crash.

STOP IT!!

Whoever bought it is a lot bigger pisser than any of us chickens here. He or she certainly doesn't need or ask for our advice. Anyone with that kind of money to spend certainly knows the stakes. How do you know they aren't having fun?

I recently sold a low pop Lincoln to a collector to what for me seemed like a fortune. The person who bought it certainly seemed highly knowledgeable and skilled in collecting. The person certainly seemed to be having fun, and the person clearly knew what he was doing, and what was at stake.

None or us, or really anyone, has any idea what the market for low pop moderns (or classics) will do. All we know is that they have been phenomenal investments over the past few years. So, get off the pontificating and pretending you can see into the future.

Most of us don't play in these leagues, so let's not pretend we do. If you really think 22K in too high for a 1940 1c in PCGS MS68RD, then sell one there. Oh, you don't have one to sell. Surprise, case made.

Greg

• Options
    Why would everyone bash a copper coin is superb condition going for big money but not when a Franklin or Merc or Walker or St. goes for moon money What would a 45-P Merc in 68FB go for? Does the $3 in silver make it that much more valuable? Maybe the $250 in Gold would justify the $22K price. Copper coins from late dates are by and large crap. The mint took great care of coins in the early part of the century, 1909- VDB's are easy to find in GEM+. If a 1940 is so common that it should be easy to make one in 68rd then the market would generate them until eqilibrium was reached. However, the problem is that P mint Lincoln's are garbage. You could go through 50-100 rolls and never get a 66RD for many dates much less a 67RD.
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Nah....I've known Stewart for a great number of years and had the pleasure of selling him a coin 'er two 'er three and I know he's got a tad more than 22k in his fine set. Typed out that is....TWENTY TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS.......for a late date Lincoln!

Mike Printz
    Larry Whitlow, Ltd.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options

<< <i>What would a 45-P Merc in 68FB go for? >>

If Jason were anywhere near a computer, really stupid money. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What so many seem to forget is that the collectibles which do well are almost
    ALWAYS the ones that everyone overlooks. The limited edition, made for collectors
    super duper coins don't usually get hot because everyone who wanted one already
    has one. Those who didn't get one never see them so they're less likely to develop
    an interest. Being common when they are new is actually BENEFICIAL to the collect-
    ibility of things. Everyone is familiar with them. Many times EVERYONE is too busy
    with their coin collections for a few generations to even notice that no one is bother-
    ing to set aside coins for the future. Then when they go up in value they whine and
    wail about how it's all just common junk because they had tons of it when they were
    a kid. They fret that the new collectors are wasting their money on things which are
    poised to crash while they could be propping up or spurring the markets for real coins
    like those that they personnally collect.

Is this to say that all modern coins are rare? NO! OBVIOUSLY NOT. What it means is
    that for the first time there are people collecting many of these coins, for the first time
    there are people collecting some coins in high grade that were not usually collected
    this way in the past, and they are finding some surprising rarities. They are finding
    some coins which are easy enough in unc are virtually impossible in gem. They are find-
    ing coins made by the billions can be tough in unc. They are finding lots of great varie-
    ties and very little known rarities. They are finding that collecting these coins is a blast.
    And they are finding that many of those who didn't care about these coins when they
    were new are suddenly feverish about slamming them and those who collect them.

I don't need a crystal ball to see that the future for these is bright.

spelling
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay 20K for any modern. Not a lincoln, Franklin etc. Grade rarities just aren't worth it. Look at the coins previously listed that you can get for 20K those are true rarities that should hold value in the long run. If I can get a coin two points lower for 20 bucks, it's not worth the extra $19980 for two points higher.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    "Has anyone else heard about this wonder coin?I'll bet it is REALLY SPECIAL."

I posted a bunch of images from this collection in a recent Reg forum post -- you can take your tongue out of your cheek now Stewart. I know you've already seen the pics and you know it's really special.

• Options

<< <i>Here comes the chorus again. $22K is way too much for a modern coin. Don't be fooled. These will crash.

STOP IT!!

Whoever bought it is a lot bigger pisser than any of us chickens here. He or she certainly doesn't need or ask for our advice. Anyone with that kind of money to spend certainly knows the stakes. How do you know they aren't having fun?

I recently sold a low pop Lincoln to a collector to what for me seemed like a fortune. The person who bought it certainly seemed highly knowledgeable and skilled in collecting. The person certainly seemed to be having fun, and the person clearly knew what he was doing, and what was at stake.

None or us, or really anyone, has any idea what the market for low pop moderns (or classics) will do. All we know is that they have been phenomenal investments over the past few years. So, get off the pontificating and pretending you can see into the future.

Most of us don't play in these leagues, so let's not pretend we do. If you really think 22K in too high for a 1940 1c in PCGS MS68RD, then sell one there. Oh, you don't have one to sell. Surprise, case made.

Greg >>

Greg, I for one do not take back one word of what I said because it is heart felt.

I have no gripe with modern coin designs or people collecting them, but what makes you think that people paying this kind of money are knowledgable collectors ? Could they possibly be registry point chasers who might pay whatever they can afford to move up in the rankings ????

Cladking, due you assume that everyone who feels the way I do is trying to say modern coins are bad ?
    Or that collecting them is bad ? If barber coins would go up by a factor of 20 x or even 100 times between every grade point I would stay away from them to because to much of the value would be tide up in the grade on the slab, that has absolutly nothing to do with liking or not liking a certain coin or a certain coin series. I express my opionion on this issue because it's the way I feel, not to try to knock what someone else wants to collect.

However, those that want to collect at any price DO AFFECT OTHER COLLECTORS and I do consider that my buisness.

Les
  • Options
    The same old boring modern vs. classic debate disguised in a 1940 Lincoln cent. My answer is simple.

1. Collect what you enjoy.
    2. If your answer is that this or that will crash and this or that market will crash, then you are collecting for the wrong reason and are not a collector at all.
    3. If you collect both high grade Indian cents and high grade Modern Lincolns because its the best damn coin you have ever seen and have a discerning eye for quality and grade is secondary to price, then I salute you!! , regardless of the registry craze or anything else for that matter, I recommend serious collectors do a couple of things.

1. Understand that quality rules and that grade is secondary.
    2. Understand that a modern coin in high grade is also appreciated.
    3. Learn how to grade in the 68-70 spectrum, because its not going away,
    4. Think about the guy who paid thousands of dollars for a 1945 GEM full split band Merc , when people were laughing their heads off at him and called him an idiot.
    5. Think about the guy who cared about Full steps, full bell lines, and full heads, and so called "serious " collectors called him "fussy" and "uncouth".
    6. Have fun with the hobby!

Remember, quality coins are one of a kind and a sophisticated collector knows two things.

1. I may never see a coin representative of that type in this quality ever again,
    2. Todays 70 is tommorrow's 68, but great eye appeal today is great eye appeal tommorrow.

You can quote me on that!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭
    People shore is dumb.

Hey, I gotta banana around here somewhere. Biggest banana in the world. $11K and it can be YOURS!!!
  • Options
    Barberlover:

No one is asking you to take back anything. All I am saying is that those who play in that league are the ones who determine fair price. They buy for whatever reason they buy: registry points, coin beauty, condition rarity, ego, fun, investment or whatever. Future price will be determined by the demand of those same or similar people who buy for similar reasons. That future price could be higher or lower. I don't think we should pretend to know. All we do know is that low pop moderns and classics have done very well as an investment over the last few years.

What frankly annoys me is the pontificating by those who do not play in that game. If one doesn't collect low pop moderns, how can that person express an informed opinion. I have bought and sold low pop moderns and know very well the nature of the demand for those pieces. There is nothig simple, straight-forward, obvious, or easy about it.

Many who continue to claim that low pop moderns are over-priced do not usually have the ability to put their money behind their opinion. As such, the opinions are rather empty IMO. The way to put your money behind an over-priced view is to sell those pieces. Most talkers do not have pieces to sell. What that says to me is that those same people did not have the foresight to recognize these pieces as tremendous buy bargins a few years back. If you didn't see the value then (if you did you would now have pieces to sell), why would I believe you could see the value now.

The only value a coin really has is face, or melt value. Beyond that is collectible premium, which is always fickle and subject to change. That's what makes it fun.

Finally, Barberlover, consider mint state Barber coins (which I think are a pretty good deal). You probably believe they are well - priced and so you buy them. I happen to collect French Walkers. They are contemporary to Barber coinage, similar mintage, less-saved, lower pop, and equally or more beautiful. Yet they cost about 1/20th of the price of a similar Barber. Barber cost more because of demand factors. Those factors may not apply in the future. Low pop moderns trade based on unique demand factors, which may change either way in the future.

Greg
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to hear anyone say that any lincoln cent less then 70 years old is a good deal at 20-30 K, Speak up !!!!!

>>

What exactly are you attacking here then?

You're certainly free to express your opinion and many here are probably glad you did. This
    is hardly the point. While many of the attacks on moderns and their collectors are subtle or
    veiled there are many others which are mean spirited and unreasoning. I don't consider val-
    id criticism to be an attack at all. While your post too, is not really an attack it is wholly un-
    substantiated. It is mere opinion repeated enough times that some might attach meaning to
    it beyond mere opinion.

The prices for Barbers are set exactly the same way as 1940 cents; supply and demand. If
    they had the same supply and demand the price structure would be the same.

It should also be pointed out that the spreads between high grade coins do not always show
    all that much difference between the classics and the moderns. There are many classics which
    are worth multiples for each grade point difference. If this weren't true, it wouldn't be the ef-
    fect of hype or ego causing the difference, it would be supply and demand.

As for the effect of moderns on classic pricing it is a simple concept. Anything which helps one
    also helps the other. When a $10,000 classic suddenly becomes a $15,000 classic then every-
    one who owns this coin is $5000 richer. It is likely this money will spur further demand for coins.
    When a $10,000 modern becomes a $30,000 modern then the owner of this coin has just that
    much more money which can be spent on coins. How simple is that? It is the modern coins bring-
    ing collectors into the hobby. It is the modern coins which are getting a lot of attention and oc-
    casionally having huge gains. So why a chorus of "moderns are overpriced" everytime there is a
    post about one which sells for a new high price?

Sure a reasonable man can look at this situation and say that the market is ahead of itself or
    that the coins may not be scarce enough to warrant such prices, but one has to ask why there
    is a steady chorus with this message. Personally I think this market is actually subdued, that
    prices and interest could be far higher. Look at the facts. Equally scarce classics go for many
    times as much money as a modern. This is great I have no problem with it, but just ask why.
    Why does a modern with any population or mintage go for a small fraction of what it would go
    for if it were an older coin. Collectors understand that age of a coin doesn't determine value, so
    it must be demand. There just isn't much demand for moderns which sell at a premium and therein
    perhaps lies much of the reason they go for such "high" prices. People know that there are millions
    collecting these coins from circulation. People know that there will be a new generation of collectors
    coming around in the next twenty years. It's little wonder that some see not only the great fun in
    collecting these coins but also great opportunity if those circulation collectors decide that some nice
    gems would look nice in their collections at some point in the future.

This isn't hype. There isn't hype in the modern market nearly to the degree that there is a chorus
    for modern coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< I would like to hear anyone say that any lincoln cent less then 70 years old is a good deal at 20-30 K, Speak up !!!!!>>

The first one that comes to mind is a PCGS 1936 PR67Red.
    Doug
  • Options
    I guess if a person has 100 million dollars or so they can buy what they want
    price does not really matter. If I had that kind of money I would buy as I pleased
    and not care what anyone thought. this could be pocket change for this person
    this is still a free country so I say buy what you want if you have the money
    more power to you
    Tim
    oh and I imagine a 68fb 45-p merc would cost 50k or more
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    "I guess if a person has 100 million dollars or so they can buy what they want
    price does not really matter."

Thats it in a nut shell. Guys like that are alive and well and are blowing the lid of off the top end coin market.

Stewie: are you jealous that someone again is smater than you????? image
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - I think Stewart is enjoying himself very much as red Lincolns go higher and higher. image
  • Options
    $22K for a Lincoln.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Options
    Ebay Link to a 09-S VDB in 66RD for ~$10K

There are 137 of these in 66RD with 9 finer.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta admit, sure wish I'd had the forsight to be picking up Lincolns along the way. Beautiful coin...thanks Shylock for the pic.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

HELLO LAURA,

Yeahh ! I am jealous that someone is SMATTER than me. I always knew you were raised on the streets of New York. And is it not true that you previously asked me values for common date Lincoln cents in high grade?

Bruce,

Yes I am smiling all the way to the bank each and every time I sell a duplicate,triplicate or whatever Lincoln cent.
  • Options
    Laura,
    Just what did Stewart tell you about values of common date Lincolns in high grade?
  • Options
    Just thought I'd hop on the merry go round again. image

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to hear anyone say that any lincoln cent less then 70 years old is a good deal at 20-30 K, Speak up !!!!!>> >>

What about the 1955 DDO cent in MS-65RD? Easily worth that much, if not more?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file