Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is a SBA dollar 1979-P "Near Date"?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Looking at some leftovers here that include some SBAs, and a couple of the '79-P's are labeled "Near Date". What the heck is that?

Oh, and why does the pop report for this coin say this?

<< <i>Susan B. Anthony Dollars (1971-Present) >>

When they weren't minted until 1979?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Near date = Wide rim
    Far date = Narrow rim
    Matt
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I did notice a Wide Rim listed in the pop report.

Russ, NCNE
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    They're illustrated on page 193 of the 2003 redbook.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The near date '79-P's were stuck early in the year and account for a small fraction
    of the mintage. These do not appear in the regular mint set or the regular souvenir
    mint set. They are occasionally seen in the 3-Pc SBA souvenir mint set of 1979.

They were discovered early on so there were adequate numbers saved, but they can
    be tough in choice condition.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ-

Will the Near Date/Wide Rims be your next coin to conquer? imageimageimage

Richard.
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Click here for pictures, etc.

WH
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Wayne,

Cool page, thanks. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Everything I've read about them says that they were struck late in 1979, rather than early in the year. That would make more sense because all 1980's and 1981's are near dates. Did some new information come to light that I don't know about? image
  • It was also my impression that the near-date/wide-rim coins were struck later, not earlier.

But there isn't (to my knowledge) a definitive work on the series yet, and some of the information out there is wrong... for example, Breen's mintage figures on near-date/wide-rim coins is way too high in my opinion.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everything I've read about them says that they were struck late in 1979, rather than early in the year. That would make more sense because all 1980's and 1981's are near dates. Did some new information come to light that I don't know about? image >>

I could be wrong as I'm going primarily from memory rather than first hand information.

Your point certainly makes sense.
    Tempus fugit.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    the near date wide rim is pretty common you can pick one up at almost any coin shop for about $10.00 for a BU
    I think supercoin is right the early coin was a narrow rim, in 99 the rim was modified even wider.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • MacCoin, it wasnt that long ago that you could get one for $5, they seem to be doubling in price everytime I turn around! I bought a bunch of these at $3.50 each a few years ago, one of the best investments Ive ever made!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I was going to ask this very question tonjght but found it already when I did a search

thanks Russ and Wayne for your link to your web site showing very good pictures and descriptions
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to know is why does Coin Values magazine list a MS-65 as $100 when most other sources list it as worth about $10?
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I'd like to know is why does Coin Values magazine list a MS-65 as $100 when most other sources list it as worth about $10? >>

I have not seen any sources listing the Wide Rim at $10.00 in MS65. What sources are you using? The Coin Values magazine is about right, although I sold my last five on eBay for BINs of $85.00 each. All were sold the first time listed.

I have seen MS65s sell for up to $150.00 and for as litle as $50.00. They are kind of hit and miss. I suspect the actual value to be somewhere in the middle, or $100.00.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so the Coin Values price for a MS65 is accurate and not a Typo like I thought it might be. I saw raw ones on E-bay that looked like MS63's or so going for about $10. Also, the redbook lists a MS63 as being worth $11. I guess there is a really big jump between the price of a 63 and a 65 for these.

I was looking them up because my Mother-in-law brought down a bunch of interesting coins for me when she came to visit last week. She owns a bakery and put interesting coins aside for me and MrsSpud when she found out we were collecting. She brought a bunch of SBA's and there were 2 near dates that look to be low grade Uncirculated. She got all excited when I showed her the Coin Values price image.

By the way, she also brought down an uncirculated roll of 1964 Quarters that someone bought some baked goods with, several other circulated silver Washingtons and a couple of Mercury dimes, almost a roll of Buffalo nickels, a couple of 40% Kennedys, some Atheist $1 bills and some Silver Certificates, $2 bills and a 1934 $20 bill. It was lots of fun going through them image
  • 1979-P Wide and Narrow Rim: These varieties are sometimes refered to as "Far Date" and "Near Date". This is actually inaccurate as the date was not moved, but instead the border was widened. The Mint began striking the 1979-P SBA Dollars with the "narrow rim". Late in 1979 the border was widened to give the coin a more aesthetic appearance. The "narrow rim" variety is found on all 1979 dollars from all of the mints. The 1979 "wide rim" variety can only be found on the "P" mint issues. The "wide rim" variety was used for the remainder of the series. The Wide Rim variety is pricy in higher grades because most of them were released into circulation prior to recognition. According to information provided by George E. Hunter, the Assistant Director of Technology for the U.S. Mint at the time, there were 643 "wide rim" dies used at the Philadelphia Mint in 1979. With an estimated 250,000 strikes per die, that would give a mintage of 160,750,000 1979-P "Wide Rim" Susan B. Anthony Dollars, or nearly 45% of all 1979-P Anthony Dollars minted. <> Hope this helps, Russ!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Zachary Scott <>
    Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>1979-P Wide and Narrow Rim: These varieties are sometimes refered to as "Far Date" and "Near Date". This is actually inaccurate as the date was not moved, but instead the border was widened. >>

But near and far date are better descriptive terms becaus on the near date the date is actually nearer to the rim. Calling them wide and narrow rim is a problem because the width of the rim is not a good tool to identify the variety. The width of the rim is also a function of the alignment of the obverse die. If the die is not centered in the collar and is placed too far "south" the rim below the date will be narrow. I have seen "wide" rim coins with rims that were narrower than the "narrow" rim coins.
  • No one knows the actual mintage of the "Near Date" 1979 P SBA coins. It may be that the vast majority were sent to South America (where reportedly SBA’s actually circulate and have been forged). It may be that they are still at the mint (although the mint had to make more SBA's in 1999 because they had run out and were not yet ready to make the Sac's).

One thing is for sure, the vast majority of 1979 P SBA's that are found are the Far Date/Narrow Rim variety.

I have never found an original bag or roll of all Wide Rim coins. They have always been mixed in with their Narrow Rim counterparts. This is interesting in that it has always been reported that the mint changed at some point and started making Wide Rim coins. If that were the case you would expect to find some pure rolls and bags.

In the bags of 2,000 and 100 that the mint used to sell there would occasionally be one or two Wide Rims, but I never found more then a couple at a time. The best I ever did was with a bank bag of $1,000, about 300 were WR's!!! Not bad for $1,600!

The point is that they seem to show up like other variety coins were a couple of dies were used at the same time as the regular die so that the coins come from the mint mixed together.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file