Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970 small date lincoln proof - just a die change, or?

Is the 1970 small date lincoln considered a mint error or was it just something the mint changed at some point? Also which came first, the large date lincoln, or the small date??

I have always wondered this because why would the mint make such a change if thats the case? Because realistcally, does it matter where the 7 lines up in the date on the Lincoln? Obviously someone thought that it was important since the change occured.

thanks
michelle

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    damn good question.

same question could apply to the `60 small and large date Lincolns.

I dont think one or the other is any kind of error though. pretty sure of that.
  • Options
    I don't know either, but it's funny you mention this. I just picked one up.

imageimage
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The small date cent is a variety. It was made early in 1970 in both proof and unc.
    There are numerous differences between the lg and sm date '70-S cents though
    most are quite subtle. This coin probably only became so popular because it remind-
    ed people of the '60 sm dates. It is much scarcer than the earlier coins but appears
    in mint sets. It is becoming difficult to find these unattributed in mint sets, however.

Many collectors seek ways to spot differences between individual dies or an example
    of each variety of die used in a given year.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thanks for the information.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file