Home PSA Set Registry Forum

My Collection has been decimated ...

... on ebay. image

Although I had no intention of selling, I listed several of my sets on ebay just to see what happened. It all started with this thread.

Early last week, my '69 set sold, and today my '70 set received a bid from the same bidder. He has already added a few cards to the set as well as some upgrades inluding a PSA 10. Look out Chris Renaud!

I have been closely communicating with the buyer of both of these sets and he is top notch. Check out some of the stuff he has bid on lately.

In any case, it's nice to bring in $18,000 or so in one week! image If only I could do this every week. image

I guess I'm an "Ebay Powerseller" now. image

JEB.

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - Congrats! Anytime you sell your items at your price, ya did good. And if I remember your initial thread you stated if you sell the sets you will now assemble them again at a better $ level. Most of the fun is the hunt to acquire the cards, so it looks like you got some fun ahead of you image ...jay
  • VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Thanks Jay.

I don't know about "better $ level". I'm thinking about trying again in PSA 9 or better. I should be in the top 5 by 2010! image

JEB.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Jeb-

With all this money you now have to reinvest in the registry...let me know when you are done buying Stargells.

John
    John,

Will do! I bought the '63 Rookie tonight. image

This is one reason that I'm not terribly upset about "losing" the sets. I have grown very fond of the oddball issues, as well as some prewar cards. I can now throw some cash in that direction.

JEB.
    John,

Another point after reading your other thread - timing is everything. I was in the right place at the right time. It rarely happens in my favor, but this time it did (twice, actually). image

JEB.
  • Jeb, Congrats on your sales. I put them both on my ebay watch list to see if they would sell. I was lusting after your 1970 set. That was my first year I ever opened a pack. I would love to put that set together sometime. I just didn't have the $$ to drop on your set. Best wishes in your new ventures.

David
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JEB - Timing landed you that 1/1 Stargell as well, plus the almost high grade PSA T218 card too!
    How are you making out in that set? ...jay

Will you guys please elaborate on this 1 of 1 Stargell......I need to know!!!

John

Jeb-

Lets just say...I was well aware that you won the Stargell auction tonight....

lets leave it at that...image

John

<< <i>Will you guys please elaborate on this 1 of 1 Stargell......I need to know!!!

John >>

Have you checked out my Stargell Master set? It's in there. image

JEB.
    BTW, I've got another 1/1 Stargell on the way...

Stay Tuned.

JEB.
    John,

Did you know that I grew up outside of Pittsburgh? I was a die-hard Pirates fan throughout the '70s and '80's. I attended many games during the '79 championship season. Willie Stargell was my idol.

It's hard to support the Pirates these days, but I do still follow them. I even travelled 1100 miles to see a game with my father last month. I love the new stadium. This was the third game I have attended in PNC Park.

Here are two photos I took in July 2001:

JEB.

• Jeb,
    Congrats on a cople of great sales I know the feeling selling my 34 Goudey set was tough but the $ sure helped.... Most of the fun for me is the chase and not the completion of a set... (although if I finished my 1914 POlo Grounds set in PSA 8 or better I might feel differently)... Look at it this way I sent you 3 69 PSA 8 commons after you sold your 1969 Set so now you have a start on a new 1969 set.... Now repeat after me take most of the money and go on a shopping spree for new cards that is the real fun of selling a set ...Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Jeff,

Actually, I included those 3 cards in the set and made a deal with the buyer to keep the PSA 9 Stargell (sorry to disappoint you John image ).

JEB.

Oh yes..the 1967 Stickers....

how much is the 1974 Deckle Edge PSA 9 Stargell worth to you (grade weight of 10)

John
    Jeff,

I forgot to mention - I already started the shopping spree! image

JEB.

<< <i>Oh yes..the 1967 Stickers....

how much is the 1974 Deckle Edge PSA 9 Stargell worth to you (grade weight of 10)

John >>

Do you have one available? If so, make me an offer. I would be interested in that card for sure. image

I have failed on at least one PSA 8 attempt in the past year.

JEB.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Nice going JEB.
    Guess if we have that Pepe's Pizza party you'll be able to spring for a couple pints. imageimage

<< <i>Nice going JEB.
    Guess if we have that Pepe's Pizza party you'll be able to spring for a couple pints. imageimage >>

I guess I could spring for a Keg, now! image

JEB.

Jeb-

I sent you a PM.

John
  • TipemTipem Posts: 881

Jeb,

Congratulations!!!

If you can figure out a way to make that kind of money every week,don't keep it a secret.image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Jeb-
    I was just curious, how did you come up with a price for those sets? Did you use SMR?

Michael
  • Michael,

I made a spreadsheet that calculates Total SMR value and came up with $13,721. I really didn't expect (or necessarily want) to sell the set, so I upped it to $14,500 w/ a BIN of $15,500. I figured, if someone was willing to pay that, good for them (and me! image). Again, I got lucky and listed it at the right time. I will miss the graded set, but hey, I've still got about 8,000 poor - mint raw 1970 cards to look at as well as a stack of PSA 5s, 6s, 7s, and cards with qualifiers! image Maybe I'll put these on the registry and start a low grade set.

JEB.

• Did you figure in your price the total amount you paid for the cards + the grading??

I'm just curious.

• Michael,

I have bought, sold, upgraded, traded, and graded so many cards from this set, it would be hard to figure what I paid for raw cards + grading costs + cost of buying graded cards - profit from selling graded cards.

If what you're getting at is whether I made money or lost money, I probably just about broke even. Personally, I would consider it a profit because of all of the enjoyment I've had with the set over the past 2 years as well as meeting everyone here on the message boards and through sales and trades for cards. Others may consider it a huge financial loss, considering the time, effort, and money I had "invested" in the set.

All in all, I think selling this set for over SMR was quite lucky. I'm not sure if the cards would have sold individually for the same total amount on ebay - although I still believe this is the best way to sell a set. Of course, some of the low pops would have sold high, but a lot of the cards that were low pops when I purchased them are no longer low pops and sell for a fraction of what I paid for them.

I hope that answers your question.

JEB.
  • Yes, thanks for the reply.

I was just curious.

I have thought about selling some of my sets that are near complete (one being a raw 1970 and one being a raw 1960). I was just kicking around some stuff in my head.

After doing my 1954 Topps set (that I am still not at 100%), and moving on to the much more expensive and harder T-205s, I decided to keep a log of how much I spent on each card and how much SMR is for each. That way if I ever do decide to sell it than I can tell whether I made a profit on it.

Have you decided on what you spend all that 'new' found money on....which set will it be???

• << <i>...Have you decided on what you spend all that 'new' found money on....which set will it be??? >>

I'm just going to take the money and run!

Actually, I'll continue working on the 1960 and 1975 sets as well as player sets - mainly Willie Stargell and Rod Carew. I am also slowly collecting the T218 Champions set. I have about 10 raw cards from the set and two PSA graded cards - I got my first PSA 7 yesterday! And thanks again to Jay for the first graded card in this set.

JEB.
  • I can't stop - I just searched ebay for cards from the '70 set. I guess old habits die hard. I'd be interested to hear what others who have sold complete graded sets have to say. Carlos, Jay, Vargha, Castaldi, anyone else I forgot?

I'm in withdrawal. It was very hard to not place a snipe on that #9 checklist last night. I can't believe it went so low. Look out for the buyer of my '69 and '70 sets. He's currently assembling every set from 1952 to the present in PSA high grade. If anyone's interested, he needs a ton of cards from '62 to '68. Now might be the time to put them up on ebay if you have ever thought about doing so. He tells me he already has high grade raw cards from '52-'61. Good luck to anyone daring to list their sets on ebay. image

JEB.
  • Congrats (and Condolences) on selling your sets. I have been outbid by the bidder on a regular basis lately. He certainly is a "whale in the pond".

Taz
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Virtualizard, great sale on the 1970s! Awesome price! Best of luck on your next acquisition!
  • Taz & Waitil..

Thanks!

JEB.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    JEB,

When your penchant for selling hits your Rod Carew master set, let me know first! image

R

Loves me some shiny!
  • JEB -

Congratulations on the eminent sale of your 1970 set. I know it won’t be long before you are back at the top of the list again. image

Chris
  • Randall,

The Carew set will remain a focus of mine. Sorry, but it will not be for sale any time soon.

Chris,

Thanks. I doubt I will be back at the top of the list any time soon, but I will begin bottom feeding for the PSA 9's from the set. Your set is actually one of the reasons that I will not regret my decision to sell the set. I would like to attempt the set in PSA 9 Mint grade as well. Now I have a clean slate. With the first card I upload on my new set, I will have a higher GPA than you do. image

BTW, have you bumped heads yet with the buyer of my set? I believe he outsniped Chris Renaud on a PSA 10 the other night - Chris is back in business on his sets and he needed that card, so I assume he had a snipe registered.

JEB.
  • you may have a higher GPA but i'll have to scroll all they way down to find you. image

i know it should not take you long to 'catch up' and be in the top 20. about collecting the 1970 set all in 9's .... run the numbers ....

63 cards do not have any 9's (two have a 10 but no 9's)
    110 cards are 1 of 1 in the 9's (most are in chris's or my collection)
    112 cards have 2 9's
    86 have a pop of 3 cards in 9 condition
    223 have a pop between 4 and 9
    126 have a pop grater than 10

it will not be easy especially since there are five or more collecting the 9's (including your self)

submitting new cards will be the key to success in this set.

here are some don'ts for finding new cards:
    - wax packs - never, never, never use. in my travels, you will pay more that what you will get out of a pack.
    - cello - be careful, the cards are packed sequentially. take the top card and the bottom card and you will pull the cards (numerically) between them. if there is to great of a difference between the top and bottom card then it has, most likely, been opened. i have had better luck with these than the wax.

best bet is to inspect each card before you purchase them.

good luck and let me know if you find a good source of raw material image

chris k