Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

While we are on the topic of great guys...

I noticed the post listing a few of the moments that stood out in a couple of the minds of the members of this board. I would like to add a fellow collector who recently just traded me one heck of a deal when he could have easily had leverage in his corner. Dave Jacobs is a stand up guy. Upon grading out the 1968 Wert in 9, I made a post saying that I would entertain any offers. Needless to say, Dave is one of the top '68 guys and had interest in this card. Being of a younger age, Dave could have easily low balled me or convinced me to send first or what not. It's tough trying to illustrate this picture for you all, but try and play along. I'm sure when you guys were younger there was an older kid down the street who had an idea of what he wanted and tried to get it from you for less than desireable offers. Being the first time I've traded card for card on this board, or any place for that matter, I was a little skeptical. Not because of Dave, or any other bad experience with any other member on this board, but because of experiences with delears trying to lowball me in trades in my very younger days at mall shows. Needless to say, Dave made me a good offer, a very professional offer for my Wert card. I thought it might be worth maybe $25-$35 more in book value, not necessairly retail value, so I asked for a tiny bit more considering Wert is a 1/2 (none higher) and he's a Tiger. Dave not only gave me that extra $35 in book, but also an amout in cards that I will not disclose. Dave made an incredible offer to me that I could not turn down. I shipped out my rinky dink bubble package and sent it out insured. Dave's package has since arrived to me and it was the safest box I've ever opened. He must have taken atleast 20 minutes to make sure the cards did not move and were as secure as possible. Dave's package was sent UPS if I can recall correctly and arrived at my doorstep within 3 days of our final e-Mail. I feel incredibly bad for just placing the Wert in a simple bubble package after Dave not only made me a professional offer, but was professional in his care and delivery of his package. I've definately learned something and time and time again you guys continue to prove me right. From Frank, to Larry, all the others, and now Dave, this board definately is the greatest.

Thanks again Dave, I hope you are enjoying your Wert,

-Ian

Comments

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Ian--How quickly you forget those who left the 9 there for you to scoop up in the first place!image

Without a doubt, of all the set registrants I haven't met yet (that I want to), STUMP is head and shoulders above them all.

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Without a doubt, of all the set registrants I haven't met yet (that I want to), STUMP is head and shoulders above them all.

How could this possibly be true of someone named "STUMP"?
  • Options
    Ian

Thanks for the kind words. I will tell a little story to help everyone understand. When I was your age I was taken advantage of by a high profile dealer when I was giving him my Rookies from the late 60's and early 70's and he was giving me garbage back. It stuck in my mind and made me beware of everyone. I told myself I would never do that to anyone ever. I am glad you enjoyed the cards I wanted to make sure you got enough to know you hit a win with the wert. I am happy with the deal and when both ends are happy it makes it a win win. The wert arrived safe and has been registered in my set.

Ejguru

Thanks to you and your kindness in welcoming me a few years back we will meet soon.

David

Thats funny now I know about the sense of humor everyone talks about. As far as head and shoulders I utilize ladders a little more than most.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com