Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dansco or Whitman?

Which folder will tone a coin better?

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Wayte Raymond image

Wayte Raymond Albums
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, actually, Dansco is the only one I've had experience with. The fact of the matter is that coin holders are a crapshoot. Some tone, some don't. I might have something to do where you store the holder OR what state you live in (humidity and the like). I bought some Raymonds that did NOTHING for me. I also have some Ikes in Dansco that have done NOTHING. BUT take a look at my website and go to the Kennedy's. That tone came from my Dansco's (not the 64-D, the 72-D or the 74-P, those I bought slabbed). Those holders are stored in the same place as the Ikes and the silver coins I have in the Raymonds. BTW, the "silver" Kennedys did NOTHING also...only the CN Kennedy's did.

jom
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Interesting jom. So the Wayte Raymond thing is a myth or are they so old now the sulphur has all leeched out of them?
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how much the slide has to do with the toning?

Larry

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have a green Wayte Raymond Roosevelt folder that has 1 side slides and the back a green paper similar to the Whitman folders without slides

this was purchased by me but it was of Roosevelt dimes with preprinting to 1953-S - whoever had it filled the last 2/3rds with uncurculated coins and I do not think it has been touched in the last 40 years

beautiful colors on the coins that where uncirculated with LOTS of luster - the early 40's are XF coins and they have a golden ring but nothing spectaculer

what I found though was the UP side next to the slide had the GOOD colors and the down side just had some black splotches with varying levels - so much so on a couple I think they would get bodybagged for environmental damage. The person that put these coins in the album had roughly half obverse up and half reverse up - showing the mintmarks

the corner coins next to 2 cut sides/edges had the most intense colors with dark purples/greens/yellows/reds

I also have a very nice uncirculated1950-D Jefferson that I purchased and put into a Whitman open air (no slides - back solid) and when I popped it out recently to check for full steps was happy to find the reverse with orange/green rainbow colors - the rest of the book has nothing fancy because they were all circulation finds except for the purchased 50-D

I have a Whitman classic album with 2 sided slides and the proof coins are starting to form a nice purple/yellow periperal tone but the uncirculated coins doing nothing.

I have no experience with Dansco albums - what I have seen shows me you need to start with VERY nice uncirculated coins with lots of luster and you will get the best results
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting jom. So the Wayte Raymond thing is a myth or are they so old now the sulphur has all leeched out of them? >>

Maybe but all I DO know is that mine have done little. But, remember, it took my Kennedys 10 years to tone...I've only had my coins in the Raymond folder maybe 7 years or so. But I don't see any progress at this time. image

My streak continues, I've never had a silver coin tone while I've owned it. Copper/Nickel coins however are another matter. image

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file