Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who says you can't learn somethin' from CoinVault? - Coin Trivia

Okay, I admit it. I watch it. Hey it's on @ 2am here, nothing else on.

So last night I finally learned something from it.

See if you know ---

Where's does the term "joshing ya" come from? (Be specific!)

First one to post the right answer gets a NGC Sample Slab, or I can donate to Barney Fife in your name.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    " joshing ya" is a term that should come out of the coinvault demon's mouth after every lie they spew.

Brian
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes from the 1883 No Cent nickel- A deaf/mute man gold plated them and passed them as $5 Liberty pieces. When he was given $4.95 change, he took it... if not, no complaints. When he was arrested, he said that he couldn't tell anyone that they gave him the wrong change, and coined the term that he was just "Joshing" them- his name being Joshua.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Josh adj 1. unfriendly; UNCOOL. Notes: used to refer to a person. Opposite of "Dave". ("He's pretty Josh.") - v 1. to kid, to joke with. ("I'm just joshing you!")
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    `josh`, to banter or kid (1845) from Josh Billings who was a humorist at the time.

also attributed to one Josh Tatum as for his passing out gold-plated 5c coins.
  • Options
    It comes from the deaf/ mute Josh Tatum who passed gold plated 1883 no cents nickels and would receive change for a half eagle. When caught he could not be prosecuted as there was no evidence that he had knowingly attempted to defraud. It's a very well known numismatic story that has been oft repeated.
  • Options
    Any winners yet?
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    Hey, it looks like Jeremy won! Maybe we just coined a new term: "jereming". It means to quickly win a forum contest. I hope that I can Jerm a contest soon. Or, "hey Jeremy, stop jereming us!".
  • Options
    Jeremy did win! I'll get your slab out ASAP. PM me your address Katz!

Michael
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool image and thanks! I didn't even realize this was a contest image

Jereming? Well, Josh is my brother, so it would only be right image

Thanks again!

Jeremy image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    Jadecoins you ain't a Josh Tatum image

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>`josh`, to banter or kid (1845) from Josh Billings who was a humorist at the time.

also attributed to one Josh Tatum as for his passing out gold-plated 5c coins. >>

That is what I have heard too...that it pre-dates the 1883 Lib Nicks.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file