Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What do you other 1964 Topps Giant collectors think about this?

There is a NEW "vintage" version of the
classic 1964 Topps Giant cards, but they
are Not from Topps? How did UD get the
rights to do this? Why would Topps not do this
themselves?

imageimageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Jeff-

I believe there are no longer any copyright laws in effect regarding set design for the older topps issues. UpperDeck vitnage has used the set designs for 1971 and 1965 Topps as well. The funny thing is that if you go to a card shop and talk to modern collectors...most have no idea that the design is modeled after 1964 giants. Those cards were offered as "box toppers" in 2003 UD Vintage.

John
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Looking at that Sosa card, it just doesn't have the charm of its original counterpart. The real 64's had beautiful portraits of the stars of the early '60's. That Sosa just looks like a standard shot w/ no flair or quality....jay
  • Options
    BigKid, very interesting!

You know they just don't look as cool as the '64 Topps Giants for some reason. Do you have a scan of the back of one? I'd like to see if it's the same design too.
  • Options
    I do not care for them they lack the quality photo's of the 64 's My vote is image
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    They dont do much for me either. I would like to see the back of one also.

It doesnt surprise me that the design was copied though as its a great set.

And at the risk of sounding old, what is a box-topper?
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I am not sure on this one, but sometimes larger cards are placed on top of packs in boxes and called boxtoppers.

Is that close?
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ST - That is correct.
    Its a bonus the card co's give so you would buy the full box, its also a bone for the card dealers who pack out product. This gives them a short printed item to sell as well...jay
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a scan of the back of one? I'd like to see if it's the same design too. >>

I am working on getting one...
    I will Post it when it arrives.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I will post one some time today...I have a Lance Berkman one here in my office.

John
  • Options
    Thanks BigKid and Basilone image.
  • Options
    here is the back of the Nomar on Ebay right now.
    ~jeff

imageimage
  • Options

Thanks Jeff for the post. You saved me from having to scan and upload that Giants ripoff Berkman to my webpage.

You never know though....the new release could spark interest in the originals..and as we all know it only takes two new collectors to hit the market for prices to skyrocket.

John
  • Options
    Well what do you know! They really did try to copy the original 1964 Topps Giants, front and back. I mean why not, it's just as famous and popular as the 1952 Topps issue image.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Bigkid! image
  • Options
    Upper Deck has been recycling old Topps designs for their UD Vintage sets since 2001 with the '63 design, '71 in 2002, and '65 in 2003. For the most part they do a decent job with the whole thing, especially compared to the one set from 2001 or 2002 where they tried to use the '75 design on glossy cheap card stock. I believe that for the most recent hockey Vintage set they used the 1955 design, though it seemed lacking for that issue. I think that it was Upper Deck that has also used the '40 Play Ball design recently depicting modern players.

Topps is really to blame for all of this as well, first making the '53 and '54 Topps Archives sets in the early '90s and later using the '53 design for an insert set in the 1999 Topps Gallery set. It went over so well that the created Heritage, using '52 and '53 (again!) designs over a two year period featuring modern players. And lest we not forget the Topps T-206 cards, talk about ugly and not worthy.

What is old is new again, when you can't create something new, dredge up old fads and trends. Look no further than VH1's I Love The 70's and I Love The 80's shows, the "new" Ford Thunderbird, and the resurgence of every retired toy line you can think of. Walk in the toy aisle and all you'll see is Star Wars, Spiderman, Incredible Hulk, Power Rangers, Mutant Turtles, Care Bears, etc. Recycle your culture, it's the way of the world in the New Millenium.

Kevin aka Russian Communist Dictater aka JoeStalin once alluded to the idea that the vintage market needs the modern market. While "needs" is a strong sentiment, one has to hope that sets like Vintage, Heritage, 2003 Play Ball, and Topps T-206 can encourage a good enough number of collectors to find out what real vintage is. I know my interest in vintage and players of yore was started with those cheesy All-Time Greats cards in the Hygrade binders and plastic sheets my grandmother got me when I first started collecting in 1984 and was further supported by finding mom's '65s and reading about Herb Score's unfortunate incident. Everyone has to start somewhere, modern cards are the gateway drug.

Soap box? Soap box? Anyone? I think I'm done with it for now........
  • Options
    I will also give them credit for a nice attempt at copying the back of the card.

Does anyone know how many there are to a set?

Im still not sold on the fronts as I saw some on ebay where the poses are studio type poses, which doesnt match the charm of the original Topps Giants.

But, then again, there isnt much that can match the charm of the originals.