Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What with the 68 PSA 10's

These cards seem to be bringing high dollars. Anywhere between 400 and 700 dollars. It seems three bidders are having at each other on these auctions. I have over 50 of these in my set and am wondering if I should downgrade to 9's. Anybody have any insight into this.

Dave
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Stump-

My only suggestion would be to find out what cards the other big players need in PSA 10. I believe their sets may be hidden so you might want to consider the option of working out a private deal through email. It could save them some money and you could still make a healthy profit.

John
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Stump,

I've been agonizing with this too. The bidding wars on these cards of late have been amazing. I have quite a few '68 PSA 10's myself and it's extremely tempting to unload some if I can get $700+ for a common. About 40% of mine were direct submissions to PSA, so that's a huge return on investment. Most of the others were also bought relatively cheap over the past 4 years. There are only about six or seven that I really paid big money for and that was only because they were tough to find in 8 and 9, so it seemed like a wise thing to do at the time. I've taken a bath on a few, but for the most part I've done well.

The negative side for me is that I'm 99.5% complete on the set in 8 or better, and to come this close and then to step backwards seems like a major downer. In the past, I've sold cards out of my collection when there were collectors willing to pay big bucks for cards that weren't that difficult. But when I did that I was less than 60% complete on my sets, but those were 8's and 9's and I knew that I would eventually find replacements and I did except for just a few 9's. You can't count on replacing 10's with other 10's down the road. Also, I'm not desperate for the money. If I sold them, what would I buy with the extra money? More 8's and 9's from other years? I may regret that down the road.

On the positive side, I've always prided myself in keeping my out of pocket costs for my collections relatively low, so this would certainly help out that cause. There's a lot of personal satisfaction in having a nice collection and knowing that I didn't obtain it simply by exemptying my bank account.

I recall chatting with Ron Ritt recently at the National and he told me that for every 10 he has, he has a 9 as a backup. If I had been doing that, this would be a much easier decision and I probably would sell off a few 10's if the 9 looked as nice as the 10 to the naked eye.

I guess for now I'll just sit back and enjoy that my 10's are worth a whole lot more than what I paid for them. In the meantime I may start picking some nice 9's as backups for my 10's.
  • Options
    Dude

I am looking right now to have backups for some of my tes. The last I looked I had 7 1of 1's. Ron told me also he had backups on his tens. I know I can't reach him but I have been activly trying to get to 9.00 I am close with what I have coming I think 8.97 or 8.98 so I also would not like to go backwords. I think maybe I will wait till I get to 9.00 before I make any moves. I noticed the ones that closed last night were low but they are high pop 10's

Dave
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Someone anonymous (I really don't know who it was) sent me an email inquiring if I wanted to buy any 10's. I am not--certainly none that go for more than $75. I'm satisfied with the 9's (and don't have the bank account (yet) for the 10's. So, it's not me driving the prices up. Sorry guys.

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    If I were the owner of the tens, I'd take a shot at getting the bidding war. You will get a chance to either replace it with a nine or buy another ten at a lower cost.
  • Options
    With a staggering 882 PSA 10 cards in the 1968 set it is hard to imagine these cards being too hard to find.

There are almost as many PSA 9 1968 Topps cards as in the prior 5 yrs combined.

There are 4.25x as many PSA 10 1968 Topps cards as in the prior 5 yrs combined.
    There are 882 PSA 10's in 1968. There are only 701 PSA 10's combined for the yrs 1959-1971 inclusive (excluding 1968).

I vote sell with my brain. I do love the set though.

Sandy

Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    Sandy

Great info I think I will email these guys and see what they have to say or offer.

Dave
  • Options
    With a staggering 882 PSA 10 cards in the 1968 set it is hard to imagine these cards being too hard to find.

That seems like a lot, but those numbers are actually skewed. For some reason there were at least six vending cases of 6th Series cards (#458-533) found in the past 4 years. If you select 13 players from that series, they make up 223 PSA 10s and the total of all cards from that series approaches 350. As for the rest of the set, the numbers are pretty tame with the overwhelming majority being only 0, 1 or 2 in population. If you can get decent money for some of the high pop 6th Series cards, then that makes sense. But it appears that from Monday night's results that those cards have already hit a saturation point with these collectors. I may put up a few myself in the next several weeks, but I'll put them on eBay and give everyone a chance. But like I said before, I really have no inclination to go backwards in my set. Same goes with my '67's set. I could make a killing if I broke up my set, but I have no interest in doing that right now.
  • Options
    Dude

Thanks for that info that sheds a light on why the 6th series in the 68.s are so slow. I wonder how that effects the rest of the 68 set. I know the 6th series was the first I finished in my set and I think I did in 8 and above in less than a month. As far as putting 6th series tens up I would just hild mine and concentrate on the low pop tens and replace them with 9's. I am still considering this and will send probes to the people in the bidding wars. There seems to be three guys going at each other in a big way.

Dave
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <Same goes with my '67's set. I could make a killing if I broke up my set, but I have no interest in doing that right now. >

Dan,

What's really odd is that the stuff moves in cycles. These issues go hot and cold so fast that it makes your head swim. As with stocks, if you can ride the waves out...there's money to be made in buying low and selling high.

Alan
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>These issues go hot and cold so fast that it makes your head swim. As with stocks, if you can ride the waves out...there's money to be made in buying low and selling high. >>

I do not see a problem with buying/selling when the time is right with the 60's issues. You will always be able to pick those cards up again in the future (okay 99% of them). Often when the guy who bought it off you originally gives up on that huge 598 card set.

John
  • Options
    Alan,

Very true and you make a great point from a collecting aspect. When a set gets hot, I try to restrain myself from getting caught up in the frenzy and paying big bucks for cards. I haven't picked up hardly any 9's in '67 in a while except for some really high pop 9's. After Sky sold his set, the '67 PSA 8's and 9's on eBay were in a Bear Market and I bought all that I could find that I needed. Now it's in a Bull Market and I'm just going to wait it out. 1968 PSA 9s are really soft right now and I've picked up a lot of those lately. Even though a lot of '68s were dumped on the market this past summer, at some point new collectors will jump in simply because they can buy quite a few nice vintage 9's for $20-$30 and then at some point the market will pick up again. I thought for sure '72 Topps Baseball were dead in the water and I was picking up some nice 9's for $20-25 last Spring and now they go over $50 all day long -- even the high pop cards. I'll just have to wait out these collectors who in my opinion are overpaying for those cards.

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Buy low and sell high. 50 X $400-$700 a card, I would take the money and run. Rebuy them at a later date.
  • Options
    Dude makes a good point as usual. I looked at the numbers more closely.
    Below is listed the card #, the number of cards in PSA 10 and the percent of graded cards that are PSA 10.

001-099......86.....0.82%
    100-199.....100....0.85%
    200-299......72.....0.61%
    300-399.....122....1.45%
    400-499.....305....3.31%
    500-598.....206....2.60%

Obviously the lower numbered cards are significantly harder to find slabbed in a 10

Sandy

Edited to make this appear to make sense.
    Buying 1964 PSA 9 Baseball
  • Options
    Well folks, it appears those recent blockbuster sales of high dollar 1968 PSA 10 commons on eBay are now just a fond memory.

A 1968 PSA 10 Reds Team went for a relatively low price and this isn't a common, but more like a minor star. It's not one of the huge populaton 10's either and by viewing the bidding history the top bid was also the winning bidder's maximum bid.

1968 Topps Red Team PSA 10 for $264.49

Insane bidding rarely goes on indefinitely. Needless to say, I won't be "parting out" my 10's from my set for that price.

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    And remember almost 200 of those 10's reside in 1 set.
  • Options
    Dan,
    Do you think the 68 PSA 9's are really soft? I am trying to complete my set; missing mostly 7th series commons, and I keep getting outbid on Ebay. Perhaps I just need a reality check. Appreciate your insight.
    Thanks,
    Michael

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    mykabota,
    Email me at rjc012661@aol.com

I have thousands of hi# 1968's. I can either sell you 8's or raw and you can submit yourself. You could get 9's or 10's.

gaspipe
  • Options
    Sell the 10's and replace them with 9's. Or buy the 10's as their will be more graded. Either way you will not be paying todays prices next year.
  • Options
    Mykabota -- Yes, in general '68's are soft, but like anything, the price is driven by the supply. The 7th Series is the scarcest of the set. Just be patient, they will all turn up eventually.
  • Options
    Dude

These guys shifted to the 69 low pop 9's and the 10's. I believe a number 4 psa 10 went for over a thousand and now a Rico Carty psa 9 1of1 in closing in on 500. These bidding wars seen to be the same two guys.

Dave
  • Options
    I will email and thanks for the responses.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE-- I CAN'T SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY IN A PSA9 OR PSA10 TO JUSTIFY THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE. TOO MANY NEW COLLECTORS ARE BUYING SLABS AND NOT THE CARDS. RON HOBBS
    TWINRON
  • Options
    This is a great topic. I think the answer depends on what your true objectives are. If you're money conscious and love to cash in on a great deal without sacrificing much in Registry points then go ahead and sell them with a high opening bid price. Understand that you may never see the card again as long as you live because it is a 10, and if you're ok with that then sell it. If on the other hand you're a Registry maniac who cherishes every last .01 of Set Grade (like me because I'm stupid) then hold on to that little jewel and take your chances!
  • Options
    Regarding the 1968 PSA 10's...

Some of these cards have incredibly high numbers of PSA 10's. Here are the highest populations in PSA 10 (in card order):

#145 Don Drysdale -- 33
    #401 Mets Team -- 23
    #450 Jim Kaat -- 14
    #460 Jim Lonborg -- 13
    #467 Dick Howser -- 21
    #474 Paul Schaal -- 21
    #492 Jeff Torborg -- 35
    #493 Jim McGlothlin -- 13
    #511 Bill Kelso -- 38
    #512 Grant Jackson -- 13
    #522 Wayne Causey-- 14
    #530 Bird Belters -- 15

All but the first three cards are from the 6th series. If I collected PSA 10's from this set, I certainly wouldn't pay outrageous prices for any of these cards.

Skycap