Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It's time to change the Hobby Protection Act!

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are just too many coin "copies" on the market. Some comply with the Hobby Protection Act, such as those produced by the Gallery Mint or the Royal Oak Mint but many don't. The flood of Chinese counterfeits should be sounding alarm bells throughout numismatics. How long before they decide that your collecting specialty needs to see some of their work?

I feel that is now time to change the Hobby Protection Act to prohibit the manufacture of any further "copies", whether marked or not. This would apply to coins from all countries and eras.

Numismatics doesn't need any more fakes whether marked or not. (Yes, I do own some of the Gallery Mint and Royal Oak Mint pieces. No, I don't own any of the Chinese counterfeits.)

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I agree it needs changing, so who is going to contact their congressional reps first?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest change I would implement first is enforcement- give it some teeth!

When an arm of US gov't is selling unmarked cast copies at absurd markups, how can there be any hope?

I'm referring to the Fort Frederica National Monument here on St. Simons Island. In their museum gift shop, they sell replicas of 1730's King George halfpennies like the real ones found on the site. Also a variety of replicas of early 18th century silver and gold coins. I'm certain a local jeweler does the casting, with molds made from the originals, because they were also advertising the "coins". (I sent them a very official-sounding growl via email, in my ANA-member righteous tone.)

What is funny is that these copies, which are only semi-deceptive, but better than a lot of cast stuff, often cost more than what a genuine example of the original coin would!! They were askin' twelve or thirteen bucks for their "halfpennies"! I could buy any number of average circulated George II British halfpennies from the 1730's-50's era for as little as three or four bucks apiece! Sheesh! image

They never claimed the Frederica replicas were genuine, but like a lot of these scammy companies, they sure weren't out front about them being fake, either. And as I said, there was NO copy stamp on these "coins", which were being sold by the National Park Service!

The jeweler was Chadwick's. I just checked their website and did not see the replicas offered anymore, but there is a presently-empty category on their website called "Frederica Fines", which I believe is the title these "coins" were marketed under. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I think the "coins" were popular in the jewelry they made, too. I haven't been out to the gift shop at Frederica in a good while. For all I know, they still sell those damn things.

The Frederica gift shop IS a great place to pick up historical books about the period, and I bought my Artifacts of Colonial America by Ivor Noel Hume out there. Great book and a very useful reference for the detectorist. (Hume is not only the best archaeological author around, but he also knows his numismatics, unlike many in his field. His Martin's Hundred reads like a novel!) I heartily recommend a visit to The Fort Frederica National Monument if you are ever down this way.

I have seen other replica coins at forts and museums down here, most notably the set of Confederate coin copies, but those comply with the Hobby Protection Act and are marked COPY on the reverse. (Though I think the Confederate "gold" designs in the set are pure fantasies rather than copies).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I don't see any need to change the HPA. The copies that comply by the HPA are not a problem. The countereit trade and seated dollars coming from China are already in violation of the HPA and the counterfeiting laws. Do you think they will stop ust because you change the HPA?

<< <i>When an arm of US gov't is selling unmarked cast copies at absurd markups, how can there be any hope? >>

It is probably like the gift shop at the US Mint. The shop at the national monument is probably privately owned and the government has nothing to do with the sale of unmarked copies. A complaint to the proper departmant pointing out the violation would probaby get them pulled or modified. Another option is to set up just off the monument property and start selling GENUINE halfpence for less than they charge for fakes. And make that point clear in your advertising.

And yes the "confederate gold" pieces are complete fantasies.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    we me a hero like maybe Dave Hall to lobby congress for more and stiffer counterfeit laws

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file