Home U.S. Coin Forum

71 Proof Rosy with doubled torch?

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
I'm getting ready a submission, and Roosies require a loupe, so this is kind of an accidental find. I believe it's true doubling instead of MDD, because the only device affected on the coin is the torch. The effect diminishes toward the bottom of the torch, but is not visible on the leaves or letters. I thought it was worth a few pics.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Great eyes and great pictures Don - it certainly looks like you have a unique find there - keep us less keeneyed folks posted! image

Frank
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Nice find, check all the 71s I have and I don;t have any with doubling!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Unless you an show me the equivalent of split serifs, I think it's MDD. No splits on the flames or corners.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Marty, Your back....... image
  • Good eye!.....but I think you will find it is MDD..The doubled part sure looks flat and shelf like....
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The same thing worried me about the coin that worried Mgoodm3. There is no other evidence of doubling. The part that gets me is that none of the other devices or lettering appear to have hung during ejection. Weird. Thanks for the comments guys. Millenium, you and Mgoodm are probably right, but I am still scratching my head wht it would be so localized.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Although it is a master die, the fact that you noticed tells me that you care about detail and that makes the hobby all the more enjoyable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file