Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need a Little Help w/ a 1883 LHN

I was at a local coin shop yesterday to pick up a few more IHC's for my album. While I was digging around I came across a very nice 1883 No Cents Liberty Head Nickel that was marked Proof. I don't collect these at all and, in fact, know nothing about them. But, the coin was in super condition, was very sharply struck, and definately has a proof-like appearance so I bought it. image After looking through my Red Book and a few places online I quickly realized that there is a significant difference in value b/w the different strikes. I love proof coins and am convinced that this nickel is a proof, but I would really like some opinions on this from you folks who are more definately more knowledgable than I.

I can't post the pics here in the format I wanted, so I threw up a quick webpage last night. Unfortunately, the website has a forbidden word in the url(according to the forum) so I had to create another site and link to that page.(Sheesh!) I apologize for the trouble, but if some of you wouldn't mind taking a look and giving me your thoughts on this, I would really appreciate it!

Go here and click on the link.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, you gotta get a better hosting site than friggin' @#%&* Geocities!
    I had TEN OR TWELVE popups in such rapid succession that I had to reboot! imageimage

(I'm at work and the settings on this puter are not mine to tinker with, so don't y'all start telling me about popup blockers and all that.) Plus, a banner ad obscured the reverse pic of your coin. Geocities SUCKS! (And Tripod, too, for that matter.)

OK, rant over.

I did manage to get a fast look at your coin in between the spammy bombardments, and I do not think it is a proof (though I could be wrong).

Those were often prooflike. In fact, I once had this one in my old type set. It had mirrors and a light cameo contrast, and was designated "PL" on the ANACS label.

Anyway, from what I saw of yours, it looked nice and prooflike. Even if it isn't a proof like you hoped, you got a nice example.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It looks polished to me but the pictures are hard to judge. I hope it's just the picture that makes it look this way. mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file