Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question about centering.

Could someone help me out with a way to determine the centering of a raw card. The guide lines talk about 70/30, 80/20, 90/10, etc...., and I was wondering how you guys can tell if the card meets these standards on front and back. Is there any type of device that can be used to help in this process. Hope this does not sound like a dumb question. I get confused when I see an o/c qualifier on one card and another looks similiar in centering but has no qualifier. Thanks for any information. Really enjoy the knowledge that I get from reading your posts.

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a dumb question at all. I use a caliper to measure the centering. You can pick them up at any office supply store for a few bucks. There are also graduated cards which have a scale on them. I've never used them but some people like them. I think you can pick them up on eBay. Perhaps someone will provide a link to an auction as an example.

Two things to keep in mind on centering:

1) It's always measured at the worst point on the card. If a card has a diamond cut, it may be more off center than it looks.

2) Some cards, like 1963 rookie stars combo cards, are normally OC top to bottom. The top-to-bottom centering of those cards is measured by comparing the left and right margins with the bottom margin.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    BoilerJake - As far as the terms 80/20 0r 70/30 or 40/60 go, the fraction is always used as a left to right side centering designation. For instance with 80/20, 80% of the border of the card resides on the left side and 20% of the border resides on the right. With 40/60 the reverse is true. 40% resides on the left and 60% resides on the right.
    You will also sometimes see the statement when a seller advertises a raw card: 60/40 T/B. This means that when measuring a card for centering based on its top and bottom borders, 60% resides on the top and 40% resides on the bottom.

You are right when you say cards that seem awfully similar in regards to centering sometimes one receives the OC and the other doesnt. Sometimes cards fall right on the cusp of two different grades based on centering falling right at the break point. The grader must, at that point make a very discriminating call. Most times they get it right.
    When you see PSA cards be aware of one thing. Collectors and dealers can now request of PSA that cards be graded without qualifiers. So a card that is clearly a 9OC by PSA standards might be found residing in a PSA 8, PSA 7, or PSA 6 holder without a qualifier attached. It would all depend on which grading standard then requalified the card in question for a holdered grade without a "qualifier".
    I hope that was not too much of an over-simplification.

Also, hede gemint's advise.

Best of luck in your future grading and may we ask "what set are you working on?"
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Boilerjake

Pay attention to both posts but especially the comment made by Gemint. I know you like the 69's and they are famous for the diamond cut. This might explain why your seeing a big dif in the centering as these 69's can be accross the board. As far as being a dumb question that should never be the case. Ask away its the only way to learn.

Daveimage
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I find it nice to use a computer photo and corresponding software to measure centering. Greatly enlarge the card and the border's pixels (boxes or squares) can be counted from each side of the picture and then calculated out to give the ratio.

Since the topic is centering.....

Assuming one has mastered the concept of approx. comparison of the borders relation to each other, does the T-B and L-R centering have the same influence ?? For example a card with 50/50 L-R and 35-65 T-B has an "average" centering of 42.5/57.5, a different card can have 40/60 L-R and 45/55 T-B resulting in a same average of 42.5/57.5 centering ratio. To me the fisrt card is more "well centered" even though it compares math-wise with the other. Is a card with 50/50 T-B and 90/10 L-R the same quality as one with 90/10 T-B and 50/50 L-R ??, how does it compare to a same "average"one 70/30 both ways ?? Don't most agree L-R is more vital to overall appeal than T-B ??

Centering is one part of grading which is almost completely objective. Concepts and ideas like slight, barely, brightness, gloss, focus, touched, and so on, are all subject to the viewers' interpretation and frame of reference. Centering and our own taste of a "picture frame" suitable for the player's picture, is probably the only factor with minimal need for a grader's input.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Jaxxr

I am with you on the the left to right. I feel this is more eye appealing also. It seems the top to bottom gets lost in the card at times.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com