Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey Nick & Craig: The Game Is Just As Much Fun From The "Cheap Seats"

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just registered my silver Roosies. I'm on that "second page" with many board members - Hepkat Kitty, Marty- to name a few. The game is just as fun from these seats - and if I can make one of those "super low pop" FB coins, maybe I can trade you guys for EVERY coin I need image

Things should really "heat up" in Roosies later this year - YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT image

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mitch. its about time Mr. Roosevelt himself registered a set. I see the Roosie series as a fun and challenging set to complete in full bands. Nothing but Fun to come for us Roosie collectors.

Let the heat wave begin image

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Mitch, I'll speak for myself (and Nick would probably agree) that we're all having FUN - its a fun and relatively inexpensive series where its not uncommon to make pop-toppers, still find raw coins worthy of submitting and for a color lover - these little tiny disks just seem to tone very nicely. I will be sure to check out your set and I HOPEFULLY given you eye for exquisite toned wondercoins that you will be able to post pictures of each and every coin and Nick and I have done. And that same hope goes for any other Rosy set that you may one day Register to help heat up this series!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Craig, Outstanding Icon...image
  • Options
    Nick, really need to get a pic in the "right" holder and upload!
    Craig
  • Options
    MCR
    a 55s is a great coin I think in 66 FULL STRIKE is a money coin
    Bob

I have FOUND a 1943 (11-O-I) in a choice grade is $12 K to little or $3.500.00 enough
    please responed

NOW looking for Mike LEWIS and his brother also

A 1942 S DDO-001
    this 42s has in the date a really nice doubling on the 2 inside the upper loop

Back to great Roosevelts what great COLLECTORS

Z
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    Hey guys - any word on how PCGS intends to weigh the FB coins?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Hey!!! you just knocked me down a peg.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch,

Congrats on jumping in with both feet with your new set. Into an absolute hot bed of stiff competition (which I'm sure have the Merc guys heads turning 360) and some of the best guys assembling top notch sets. This sure is fun ! Happy hunting !

Ken image
  • Options
    Mitch, No word yet from the boss about FB bonus points. I would expect them to follow suit with the mercs.
    Arn't they due to come out this month.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Welcome to the Roosies.I find them fun and within a reasonable price range.
    I enjoy adding a new coin to my registry every few days or finding a coin to submit.
    Have fun.
    Tony
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Nice set Mitch! You'll probably complete your set in 67FB long before me but I promise not to hold it against you.image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aw C'mon Guys. If you want to collect FB coins you must go after the above pictured. These can be collected from the Cheap Seats also with a Lot of Fun tacked on.

imageimageimageimageimage

Ken

PS: Very Nice Icons. Even if one is in the wrong holder. image
  • Options

I'd rather have this one.....image
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! I like Ken's merc, but my vote goes to Nicks rainbow image
    Ken
  • Options
    One of these days I might bring my set from across the street over here - but until then I guess I'll have to play only in the National League image

• Options
    Frank: Since Nick, Craig and myself (and a couple others) live off the same street (the "5") out here in the West, expect a good ballgame when you bring your "players" out here from the National League image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    onlyroosies

If the obverse would even come close to the reverse on a roosie, appeal wise, I would be in the Ball Game also. Ok, I know you are going to ask what the appeal is having a woman with wings on her head. Hmmm......really have no answer for you.

Is that a FB coin you have shown ? I guess I will have to see one of them in person. The bands look weak to me. Maybe the way the picture shows up here on the forum.

Nice coin though.

Ken
  • Options
    Hey Fairlaneman
    Is that fish a sheepshead? It certainly doesn't look edible. If ya leave it out in the sun awhile, I'm sure it would tone up nicely.image
    BTW, Merc's are nice but Roosies rule!
  • Options
    Ken, heres the obverse of that coin. Its a 1952D MS67FB
  • Options
    Will either one of these do it for you. 53S 67FB & 49D 67FB
  • Options
    No, No..... not the Tone. I have always been let down a little with the design of the obverse. I do look for nicely toned Roosies at shops and shows but the supply has vanished around here.

Sheepshead fish.....what is that ? None in the Northwest that I know of.

The Fish is a 4 and 1/2 pound Small Mouth Bass caught yesterday on the Columbia River about 125 miles east of Portland. A life long friend and myself have fished the river for years. 50 + Small Mouth were caught yesterday. A couple of the others were in the 3 pound range. For sure a good day on the river bank. We just do our part to conserve the Salmon run on the Columbia which received so much attention in the National media a couple of years ago. These Small Mouth are voracious feeders on the Salmon Smolts trying to reach the ocean. The limit is 5 fish so a whole bunch of catch and release was done. This one is about as Big as they get around here. I'm still holding out for the 6 pounder though. image

Also this is a Hobby that has Full Approval from the wife.....she really likes Pan Fried Smallmouth. Hopefully one day she will warm up a little about the Coin collecting also.

Ken
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nick,
    Fairlaneman needs to see some great toned roosies -- not "your stuff"!!!!!imageimageimageimage

Have another beer, it is Labor Day!!!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

Rainbowroosie, Show us your stuff??? image
  • Options
    A challenge?? OK Nick --- you're on:

Next year at Long Beach we display side-by-side at SIMCO's table; let's call it the "Great Roosie Challenge."

Now all we need is a judge....How about Mr. D, Craig, and a guest roosie "critic." Any suggestions for our third judge?? I'm open-minded, my only criteria is that he/she cannot have sold you the coins in your set!!!

Loser buys all the beers!!!

Maybe we can get other set owners to show off their stuff in similar "challenges?"

imageimageimageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Bring the Sets to the ANA show in Portland next spring.......Pleeeeaaaassseee ! I Wanna see them. image I'll view them with a completely Open Mind.

Ken
  • Options
    Bill, Your on.....

But I'm with Ken. I say Portland next Spring and I think we need 5 judges. Since you picked the first 2 (Greattoning & Colorfulcoins).
    I'll pick the next 2. My 2 picks are Fairlaneman & Wondercoin. We will have to come to a consensus on the 5th judge.

Now a couple Rules. I assume since your set consist of NGC & PCGS coins we will be allowed to mix to create our best set?.

How does that sound.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    I'd love to be a judge........course I'd also like to be a participant......but seeing that the great majority of collectors do not have a preference for bright and vividly toned BLUE dimes, I'm afraid I'm probably an also ran in this wonderful sounding competition. having seen both Bill's (rainbowroosies) and Nick's (onlyroosies) sets - this is going to be COOL. Way COOL.

Oh, and here's a coin where the reverse bands are full and also pretty clear for a photograph - and a toned coin!

Craig
  • Options
    Nick - especially cool 53S. Tough coin in FB and that one is down right gorgeous and appears to have "no brainer" reverse bands. I have a very cool gold and deep purple 53S in for grading now - and really hoping for a MS67FB! Should know by Long Beach........image
    Craig
  • Options
    I can state that I have not sold many (any?) silver Roosies to OnlyRoosies as he has always been the "competition" as I have assisted my personal customers on their great silver Roosie dime collections (including Registrycoin). There is no doubt I can be impartial image

BUT, I do hope to register a set in the not too distant future which may, or may not, knock out OnlyRoosies from his #1 perch (are you listening "Hulk Hogan Nick"?) . At the time of Portland, I can assure you, the Roosie race will be very heated up and perhaps we may need an exhibition of all (3) sets as I will likely be supporting the newly (and yet un)registered collection as the greatest Roosie collection of all time image This may create the "Roosiemania" everyone has been waiting for. Let's put all (3) sets "in the cage" and no one leaves until a winner has been declared and the other (2) gladiator sets are dead on the canvas. And, so will begin Roosiemania I (and if I lose, I demand a rematch in advance).

Wondercoin image

• Options
    My 3 coolest roosies were just recently sold to a board member. All 3 were graded MS68 by PCGS with outrageous toning. I sold
    them because they were not full bands and I have committed myself and my set to full band pieces. So if this is a color only show
    I say colorfulcoins needs to participate. If this is an all around greatest set competition then I say let the games begin.

I believe Mitch has just offered another challenge. I always knew there was another great Roosie set out there and Mitch just
    confirmed that. I say bring it on big boy!!. The set doesn't have to be registered to be entered. It just needs to be a world class
    set. I don't believe rainbowroosie's set is registered either. A showdown,,, I'm in.

I hope I'm not biting off more then I can chew here as Mitch has been registering some word class sets recently for his client(s).
    I've seen several top notch collections fall from there #1 spot recently and if I read Mitch's post right, My #1 spot is next on the
    chopping block. image

I still say I'm up for the challenge......imageimage

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Yee Haw.........
    Craig
  • Options
    I did find a Roosie set registered to a one... Rainbowroosie across the street. It includes lots of photos.
    Rainbowroosie's Set
  • Options
    Nick: I liked your violin playing guy better - you shouldn't have deleted it image

You can make it easy on yourself and invite us all over your place for a cook out. I'm even agreeable to having your neighbors be the judges image Are you sure you want to go all the way to Portland with your 48 kids? It's a long trip back home image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch, Name the time and the place and I'll be there with my "48+ Kids". Your last post sounded a little like,
    "uh oh" Maybe I shouldn't have challenged "Hulk Hogan Nick" publicly. image

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Registrycoin is from around Portland.....correct ? This will be way cool and will show the people around this area some Great Coins. Can't wait guys.

Maybe another person besides myself would work better as a judge. I'm really more of a Looker than a judge. Picking one of these Great Sets over another one would be Extremely Difficult for myself. Plus I just hate to pit one set against another as I know the owners have put much hard work and effort into thier set.

Maybe find one un-bias judge that really knows the series. image

Ken
  • Options
    48 Kids to the Cook Out and Portland. C"mon Show them of here also. image

Ken
  • Options
    "Maybe find one un-bias judge that really knows the series"

Ken are you saying your bias.... I would love to have Regestry coin as a judge. Bill Walser has the #3 set registerted I would say
    that qualifies his as a judge too.

I'm open to anywhere anyone want to go to display the sets.

Nick
  • Options
    Nick,
    Barring the US being at war in the spring, I'm up for intense, ego gratifying competition.....Clearly, it must be open to everyone, and open to coins in any holders -- as we will be comparing COINS NOT PLASTIC!!!!!..... I know what you have, what Craig has, and what I have....But, I'd really like to see what others have????.....So, Wondercoin, let's bring out the best!!!!!!........As a side show, I suggest we try to identify "the single finest" individual 46P (not that smudged up blue NGC MS 69 coin), 49P, 50D, etc....thus, beyond an overall winner, there will be opportunities for many people to "win" during this competition...Hell, I'll even bring my rainbow proof set of roosies just to show it off!!! Roosies Rule!!!!!!!imageimage

If he is willing, I'll nominate Larry Shepard to be the fifth judge.

• Options
    Rainbow and Nick - The judge(s) need to be the very best of the very best in identifying TRUE quality Roosies outside of the plastic they are in. For this difficult task, we need someone who knows how to grade the Roosie series inside and out (almost) as well as we do (or don't). image And, the judge(s) need to be totally impartial. of course.

Based upon that, here is my short list of qualified judges:

1. David Schweitz (world class 20th century grader)

2. Miles Standish (world class grader at PCGS)

3. Rick Montgomery or Mark Saltzberg (world class graders at NGC).

If you add anyone to this list that has graded or slabbed as many or more incredible MS Roosies than these guys, I will likley have little objection considering them. But, what do you think of - Dave, Rick and Miles as the (3) judges - could it get any better than that?

Wondercoin

• Options
    No I'm not bias.

What was suggested was one Judge that does not own one of the sets but is a well versed person within the series. Heck it was suggested that a White Set would not stand a chance. If myself, who knows little about the series, was a judge probably a little bias would be shown toward a colored set seems how I like color. Thats not right when it comes down to picking the Greatest Roosie Set.

This showdown could be very interesting and frankly the only one I have been interested in. Would have loved to see the sets in other show downs but this one for sure has more appeal for a fellow dime collector. image

Ken
  • Options
    Wondercoin,
    Seems like we are getting into appropriate details...Balancing PCGS and NGC biases is good....Also, Dave Schweitz clearly knows roosies -- but he better choose my 54D given what he charged me for it!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    Rainbow - What's worse is I passed on the coin 10 minutes before you bought it. WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch, It could not get any better then that. But would the three be willing to do it?. I'll put my Roosies up
    againse any set anywhere.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I volunteer to be in charge of beer distribution to the winners-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Remember Nick, we are comparing COINS not PLASTIC...................imageimageimage
  • Options
    Damn... Thats why I picked you Ken. Color, color, color... I wanted the color guy.
  • Options
    "Mitch, It could not get any better then that. But would the three be willing to do it?. I'll put my Roosies up againse any set anywhere."

Craig: I don't know - but, it would be a nice reunion for Miles and Rick and Dave usually has little to do at a major coin show

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I'm loosing track of things, let's keep this in ONE string....Nick, how much do you think a keg of Beck's will cost you?????????????image
  • Options
    I also passed on that 54D and have regretted it ever since
  • Options
    Try to name another series that brings out this kind of response?? Roosies are the most popular set to try to complete...Anyone can build a real MS 67 set...try that in another series!...Of course, all 67s are NOT the same....image