Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

For those folks who've seen original rolls of silver coins

Of those folks lucky/rich enough to have seen original rolls of silver coins that were 75 years old or older, were there many (or any) that were blast white? We all know about GSA Morgans being blast white. I'm curious about all of the Barber/Standing Liberty/Seated Liberty/Bust/Mercury coins.

Tom
Tom

Comments

• Options
    I've had several rolls of 1940's mercuries, all blast white.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    I've seen an original roll of 1942 Walkers all blast white!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a couple of dealers near where I grew up back in the '60's and '70's that had extensive stocks of original rolls from the '30's and '40's. If a roll was picked over and nearly gone, sometimes they'd break open a new one for me. In those days, there was no differentiation in price between the gems and the dogs in a roll - you paid your money and took your pick. The coins were almost always undipped blast white.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Tom,

I have seen original rolls or partial rolls of the following types of coins, which were "blast white" or mostly so and which were approximately 75 years (or more) old :

Seated Liberty half dimes (1858)
    Seated Liberty dimes (from the 1880's)
    Liberty and Buffalo nickels (not silver but...)
    Barber dimes
    Mercury dimes
    Barber quarters
    Standing Liberty quarters
    Walking Liberty half dollars
    Morgan dollars
    Peace dollars

However, in the case of most coins other than silver dollars, dated 1916 and earlier (I use this cut off, to distinguish Barber and earlier type coin material), odds are, that if they are "white" they have been dipped.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the information. So it is possible that a 75+ year old silver coin could be originally blast white, but it would be rare.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    If you are talking about a bank-wrapped roll, I doubt youll have white rims or edges and you're like to find some toning creeping into the outside ring of the coin. A couple of weeks ago I opened a bank-wrapped roll of 1955-D washingtons and all but the end coins were white; the outer coins were well toned. the white coins all exhibited toned edges from exposure to the paper wrap, of course. But 90-percent of the coins were "white." cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    Of course, the atmospheric/climatic conditions of where the rolls were stored plays an all important roll. I've seen rolls of Roosies from the 60's in pretty bad shape, all ugly eneven toned that supposedly came out of Omaha, Neb.

And I've seen rolls of coins from the Chernobyl area of Ukraine that had a curious green glow when viewed in a dark room.image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website