Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Highest Graded 1887-S Morgan, Eliasberg, Wow!

Check it out at 1887-S NGC MS67 $1 Morgan Dollar ELIASBERG. Michael Casper is selling this one. He's probably the leading Morgan dealer in the world, and usually handles PCGS, but this one's in an NGC holder. I highly recommend him for obtaining registry set quality Morgans. His web site is Michael I Casper Rare Coins Inc. He also has the highest graded 1888-O Morgan at 1888-O NGC MS67 $1 Morgan Dollar ELIASBERG. PCGS hasn't graded either one of these this high. How's that for rare? There are currently 162 registered Morgan sets, more than any other!

Update on 9/1/03: I just happen to notice that the silver eagle circulation strike set is #1 at 171 sets vs. #2 Morgan regular issue (no varieties) circulation strike set at 162 sets.
Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
imageimage
Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.

Comments

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    you will also pay a great deal extra to have Mike sell you a coin. They are nice coins but sometimes 2-4 times the cost for the same grade average piece.

no doubt about it he has some nice coin though.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like morgans but that's a bit too high for my blood
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Yes, his Morgan prices are definitely higher than average for specific coins. Since he only handles the best of the best, you can expect to pay a premium for premium pieces. Examples include the Jack Lee / PCGS Tour 1878-CC MS67, the Wayne Miller / Jack Lee 1883-S MS66, the Jack Lee / PCGS Tour 1889-CC MS65, the Norweb 1895-O MS65, the Jack Lee / PCGS Tour 1891-CC MS67, and the Wayne Miller 1895-S MS66DMPL. You will pay way over greysheet for a specific coin. For ordinary coins, I think he is comparable to most other dealers. His expertise, service, and guarantee are outstanding also. An outstanding dealer like him will also ensure that you get the highest quality coins for the grade.

I also highly recommend Rare Coins of New Hampshire, L&C Coins, and PQDollars. Although I sometimes find bargains on eBay from individuals and at shows, I have found many more bargains with these specific dealers. I'll give a small example. I purchased an 1884-CC PCGS MS64 from Rare Coins of New Hampshire three years ago for $115. They cherry-pick only the best of the best, and now I've made about a 50% profit on my money in three years, and I am comfortable that it is MS64 -- maybe even MS65. Their expertise has helped make me a huge profit. Also check out the picture of the 1896-O AU53 I just bought from them in my registry set. It looks AU58 to me! I still need to add pictures of the ones Mike Casper sold me. It's like my last used car purchase. I shopped for months before I bought it. I shopped the internet, personal ads, and dealers. I thought I could save money by buying from an individual. I found the best bargain at a dealer. I bought it at about $2K less than what an individual was asking for the same exact car, and mine came with a warranty included at no charge. When I had problems with the brakes, I took it back to the dealer, and they put on new brakes for free. An individual would not have done that. It's also like buying a house. For-sale-by-owner houses are usually priced higher than those listed with good realtors. I am fortunate to own several rental houses, and I have always used a good realtor. They have helped make me a nice profit. The bottom line is that a good dealer costs you nothing, and may even help you make a profit when you decide to sell if you know what you're doing.
    imageimage
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    dollardude

Please take a look at my Ebay auctions below.
  • Options
    I looked at your auctions, and your pricing is very close to what I usually pay with the dealers I normally work with. You are a bit high in general, including your 1880-O PCGS MS63 (which I am looking for). I saw an identical 1880-O PCGS MS63 on eBay for a buy-it-now price of only $299 vs. $335. You have some very nice coins -- a lot of PL, DMPL, and attractively toned pieces. I think that, in many cases, the pricing is coin-specific, and a lot of the price difference is in eye appeal and not the dealer who sells it. Your pricing on proof sets is very reasonable. image I'm sure that as I gain experience in this forum, I will discover many other dealers like yourself that I would recommend.
    imageimage
  • Options
    if you want the 1880 in ms63 it is yours for $295 delivered. I won't make any profit on the coin but to show you what kind of coins I carry I would be happy to sell it to you at that price. Let me know if you are interested.

sorry to highjack the thread but PM's did not work.
  • Options
    Update on 9/1/03: Both of these POPULATION 1 NONE HIGHER Morgans are now SOLD! My congratulations to whoever bought them! The Eliasberg ownership is probably the most valuable of all pedigrees!

BTW, I bought the 1880-O PCGS MS63 mentioned above. Thanks for the deal!

imageimage