Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First submission to PCGS, soon

Well, I'm starting to get organized for my first submisison to PCGS (or any slabbing company for that matter). I have my Freebies for joining Collector's Club and my Freebies for reaching 90% for two of my registry sets, and I'm very curious about what PCGS will say about several of my coins. It's probably time. I think I understand the mechanics (2 1/2" flips, separate forms for everything...), and I've decided I'm going to deliver the coins to PCGS at the Long Beach Show. Are there any "surprises" a first time submitter should expect?

As most of us, I really like some of my coins, but I won't be surprised if PCGS doesn't give one or two the grade I think they deserve. I won't be surprised, but I won't understand either. Therefore, I'd like to know more about the mechanics of the Presidential Review process. It seems to me the Presidential Review is the only way to actually learn something from a submission. Would someone enlighten me as to how I would go down this road? For example,

I find out my 1940 Jefferson that I think is at least PR 66 Cameo PCGS grades as only a PR65 no cameo. Do I email/call them (who?) before they return the coins to say I want a Presidential Review? I'd prefer to minimize any shipping time if possible. Or do I need to wait until I receive the coins back (which might not be a bad idea)? Or? Are there "surprises" I should anticipate?

Thanks for your assistance.

Richard

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Richard, can I make a suggestion that you just go thru the submission process and don't try to second guess what grade you will get. Don't try to assume that the Presidential Review will get you anything except take more of your money. First decide WHY you are slabbing the coins. I assume all your previous coins were purchased in PCGS holders. You now have some raw coins like your 1940 Jefferson Proof that you want to slab. I assume you got that coin for $40 or $50 or less and you think PCGS will make it a $150 coin for you. You may be right, but don't get mad at them if for some reason they bodybag it. I have found that in most cases you will get some coins back that YOU think are overgraded (if you are honest with yourself) and some back that YOU think are undergraded. Believe me, grading is in the eyes of the particular graders who examine your coins. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    I believe the presidential review costs a lot of money. There are a few 1940 Jeffs with light cameo contrast, I have one but mine is no where near the level of frost needed for a cameo designation. Nice early proof Jeffs that are gem with a little cameo are great coins.

I just got my 1951 back as 65 Cameo. I thought it would get DCAM for sure. It seems more frosted than some DCAMs I have. PCGS seems pretty strick on the Cam/DCAM designations. Please do let us know if you get the cameo designation on your '40.

I think one great way to learn more about how PCGS and others grade these coins would be for us proof Jeff guys to get together and compare coins. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be going to Long Beach this Sept. Perhaps others can meet there?

Another way to learn is to bring your coins to the show as you are planning. Then show them to whoever you can get to look at them. Sometimes David Hall is available by the PCGS booth. There is usually somebody at the NGC booth.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    ManofCoins, Thanks for the information - that's what I had feared. It's hard to let go of my coins, particularly if it will end up being twice as long. And cost twice as much.image

Steve, My apologies for the apparent over contingency planning. I'm in IT and contingency planning/diasaster preparedness is very big and important now. What if there is an earthquake, a flood, a fire, a blackout, a worm, a hacker attack... I should just go with the flow for nowimage It's more my style. As for my goals, if the 1940 nickel comes back PR66Cameo, then it is a pop 1, 0 higher coin and will disappear into my Registry set, perhaps never to return! image And there's only a 50% chance the PR67 non-cameo it would replace would become "available". Even if PCGS doesn't agree with me on the grade and designation, that's ok. I'll still like the coin and will still keep it. I'll submit a few other coins that are "keepers" regardless of PCGS's opinion of them. My other goal is to learn something from the effort and expense. If all I receive are numbers I must draw inferences as to why. As you indicate, in most cases I can infer which factors were more important to them than to me. But it would be easier if they would just tell me! And I'm willing to pay something for that learning experience. I'm not yet sure how much.

Carl, I have a couple of frosty 1940's, but this one is very special. (IMHO) It has at least as nice frost as my 1942P PR66Cameo nickel, and the mirrors are better! And the 1940 is made of nickel, not silver! As I said, I really like it and will keep it, regardless of what PCGS might say.

I also have a 1951 (and a few others as my registry indicates) that PCGS has graded Cameo that I think are real close to dcam. I have come to believe I weight the frost more highly than PCGS does, and I weight the depth of mirrors as less important. That's ok with me, but I'd like to know if my inference is correct image

I've done the "sit at Heritage's table and examine their auction coins" routine for a couple of years now, and it does help (and I'll continue). I'll also see what the people at PCGS and NGC think. Since I'll actually have some coins to submit (yes, if I have time, some for NGC as well), I'll feel less guilty about taking up their time.

I'll be at Long Beach on Thursday during the day (it's a bit of a drive) and would love to meet up with members of the Jeff Gang. Who else expects to be there, particularly on Thursday?

Richard
  • Options
    I wish I could be there to meet you! I also wish I could check out your proof Jeffs. They sound great! PCGS does tell us some things. There is a book they published, "Offical Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection". You should buy one if you don't already have one. The last time I looked they were out but you can buy a used copy on eBay or from board members. Have a great time at Long Beach!