Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Congratulations "Just Having Fun" On The New #1 Jefferson Set!

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
Congratulations goes out to "Just Having Fun" on the new #1 Mint State 1938-1964 Jefferson Nickel collection! What an incredible collection it is. The 1938-1964 collection with varieties will also be registered in the near future, as well as the Mint State 1965-date series.

A significant portion of the coins in this 1938-1964 collection I believe pedigree to the landmark PCGS MS Jefferson Nickel collections of Steve Heller (Registrycoin), Steve Pierce (golfpkg) and Mr. Mint. All three of these individuals were pioneers in the pursuit of the very finest PCGS MS Jefferson Nickels and I believe greatly contributed to the success of the Jefferson Nickel Registry, each in their own unique way. This "Just Having Fun" Jefferson Nickel collection is just another chapter in the great story of how top grade MS Jeffersons were placed "on the map" as great classic coins to collect.

Congratulations again Just Having Fun! image

Wondercoin

New #1 1938-1964 Jeff collection

PS - I know Just Having Fun will be preparing a special comment for the collection in the near future as well.
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• What a GREAT COLLECTION.
    Superb.
    Tony
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig: The set belongs to "Just Having Fun". I registered it as his agent.

Yes, the set is incredible. My personal favorites are the complete run of MS68FS coins, as well as the block of coins from 1952-1956 (they are so tough).

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    54-s in ms67fs???????????

wow

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely superb set.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Magnificent taste, coins and pocketbook ... to beat Frank by that much is testament to the quality of this set, which indeed appears unbeatable. Kudos ... I would hope the owner would join us online in discussing this under appreciated series...
  • Wow
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    An amazing accomplishment by "just having fun". And I'll bet he is having a lode of fun.

Nick
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Can't wait to see the later date coins!
    Tempus fugit.
  • BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Absolutely incredible! (I wouldn't have even thought it possible!!)
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
    "as well as the Mint State 1965-date series"

Well after checking the registry for the 1965-date series. IMO It would be impossible to over take Ray Overby's # 1 spot.
    Ray currently has 12 pop 1/0 coins in that set and there are only 11 upgrades possible to better his set. Am I seeing
    this wrong?.

Onlyroosies
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Great Job!
    Nick - You are probably reading it right. I know for a fact JHF's intention of posting a 1965-date Jeff collection is not centered around winning anything, but, rather, to have a complete collection of MS Jeff nickels.

Up until a few years ago, it was my experience that only a few serious 1938-64 Jeff collectors pursued the modern nickels. For example, neither Registrycoin nor Mr Mint cared to collect them seriously. Ray, on the other hand, had the foresight to "get in early" on the modern nickels and has put together a world class modern MS Jeff collection. However, I know for a fact that JHF's modern nickel set is also, overall, a first rate collection, with many pop 1 coins. It should be a lot of fun building upon the modern collection in the years ahead. As I mentioned on another thread involving building sets today, modern MS Jeffs are one of my personal favorite "sleeper" collections. I believe there are several "five figure" coins in the set already in gem FS grade and the series has not even begun to get "hot" yet.

Wondercoin
    Mitch, with so many fantastic JHF Registry Sets in such short order, how many more new JHF sets should we be expecting to see in the near future?image
    Craig
    Craig: I suspect there may be a few more JHF Registry sets posted before all is said and done. One can never have" too" much fun when collecting coins image

Wondercoin
    Mitch, I'm sure the 38 - date complete jeff set will truly be a work of art. Let us all know when and where it will be displayed.
    I would travel anywhere to view "JHF" Quarter or Jeff. set.

Mitch, What an incredible opportunity you have to be working with such an elite collector and having a hand in building such
    great collections. My hats off to you....image

Nick
  • I heard about a SUPER SET from another collector. I didn't even believe it could be this SUPER....
    The best accomplishment so far. It would be impossible to surpass without some other collectors
    giving up their prizes, and for this set to dissolve.
    I've only hoped to get in the top ten someday with an FS heavy set.

I love my Jeffersons!

Boston Bob

BOSTON BOB'S
    Bob: Thanks for the comment. You have a very nice set of Jeffs going yourself. Coins like your 65FS 54(d) and your MS66FS 1950(p) are truly great Jeffs to name a few. The great thing about the Jeff series is it is truly a series still within the reach of the collector on a modest budget. It is possible to still go down to the local coin store and pick off a gem FS nickel for a buck or two. In fact, the tough 1959-64 coins are probably the most ignored in the series (and the easiest to cherry-pick for $1 or $2) and contain several of the most valuable dates in the series.

No question, there is great things ahead for the Jeff series. image

Nick - Thanks image

Wondercoin
    Mitch, how soon before we all have some more fun with Rosy's? I figure its just a matter of time........... image
    Craig
  • For Wondercoin...

Thanks for the acknowlegement of my set. I still have a real kicker to come for this set.
    Won't say until it is in my hands.

Bob
  • Thank you everyone! I really, really appreciate the positive feedback.

Hey guys, for what it's worth, some history on this set: I was merrily collecting Jefferson nickels, buying one by one, upgrading by grade and by steps, just having an absolute gas on my own. I was making occasional smart buys and a ton of dumb mistakes. That's my style.

And from nowhere I got an e-mail from this guy asking me if I was a serious collector of Jefferson nickels. I answered something like "yes, and who the h_ll are you, and how in h_ll did you get my name and e-address?"

That was how Mr. Wondercoin and I met one another.

Anyway, I had put together a pretty nice collection by then and Mitch said he had (or was agent to sell, I don't remember which) the #1 set of Jefferson Nickels in the world. A Mr. Mint had built a great collection ... sold it to a Steve Pierce who upgraded it and sold it to a guy named Steve Heller who upgraded it. I was skeptical because I was having so much fun collecting the coins one by one, I hated the idea of buying a collection like that complete. It would sort of stop the fun.

But I loved the historical way Mitch spoke about the set and thought it would be interesting to see it and get a feel for how that set blended with mine. He flew to my home town to show me the set. The two sets blended well and after some heated and at times acrimonious debate on the quality (and hence the price) of some of the coins, I bought the set. And that combination of the Mr. Mint/Steve Pierce/Steve Heller set blended with mine was the basis for the set you see posted.

I was wrong about killing the fun. Since then I've been continuing to upgrade the set one by one and it's been a bear. One of the problems has been some of the upgrades really aren't upgrades and I didn't want to buy plastic; I wanted the coins. When Mitch puts my set up on exhibit, you'll be able to judge for yourself how well I've succeeded. Gosh I've sure tried hard.

Oooops. Some business associates (not numismatists) just popped into my office here in Bangkok, and I have to go. Gotta make the money before I can spend it. So I have to go now. I will be back later and answer everybody's questions and speak to everyone's comments.

Thanks again guys and gals and ...

Enjoy!

Just having fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
    "And from nowhere I got an e-mail from this guy asking me if I was a serious collector of Jefferson nickels. I answered something like "yes, and who the h_ll are you, and how in h_ll did you get my name and e-address?" "

And, it was also fortunate you had been recently referred to me by someone you trusted image

Yes, upgrading coins within the same grade, especially Jeffs, where the pursuit is always towards as close to "6 steppers" as possible, is as important an endeavor often times as achieving a numerical upgrade. The pursuit of great "strike" coins is why one might never stop "having fun" with MS Jeffs.

Wondercoin

P.S. Nick - I have also registered about 3/4+ of the modern MS Jeff collection now, however, a number of the coins I have been unable to register because the system is rejecting the cert numbers (and there are several slots where I had to register a coin in a lesser grade than the set truly contains). I'll have to get with Gayle on Tuesday.
  • Thank you! Cool Karma...

Dear Man of Coins: No, the set's mine, not Mitch's. And no, it's beatable and it will be beaten. I'd like to get it up to perfecto at one time or another, but even then it will be beaten.

PCGS keeps on making new top of the line coins and only some of them are grade inflation. Many if not most are genuinely great coins. Lots and lots of great coins hiding out there raw and in NGC slabs. As these get graded, my collection will get pushed aside, hopefully by someone who's having a lot of fun doing it...

Thank you, Tony. Appreciated.

Dear Mitch: When I viewed the Registry Set listing, I was a stunned as Cool Karma, Man of Coins, and Tony Har. To see all those zero's in the "Better" column was a shocker to me, too. We done a good job, eh?

Enjoy!

Just having fun!
    "We done a good job, eh?" Yes we have. image

JHF couldn't be more correct in his assessment of the Registry situation. We are like in the bottom of the 2nd inning right now of a 9 inning "coin ballgame", when considering which Registry sets can and will be surpassed as "All-Time" finest. From memory, I seem to recall the 1999 written soft cover Registry book (there was no internet Registry just 4 years ago), in which Steve Pierce (golfpkg from ebay and these boards, although he hasn't been around here for a while - anyone know why?), had a fabulous MS Jeff nickel collection which was essentially described in that book as unbeatable. I am sure you can still view it in the All-Time list somewhere off the first page image

I have no doubt in my mind that it is possible with MS Jeff nickels, with enough hard work and dedication to the series, that a collector of modest means can assemble over a reasonable period of time a "five to six figure+" impressive collection. And, this is due to the fact that, IMHO, many of the truly great Jeffs are still sitting in rolls, bags, 2x2 flips in dealer stock, etc. to be discovered. This is a series with incredible opportunity. Happy hunting! image

Wondercoin

• Dear PontiacInf: Yes the '54-S in MS67 Full Steps a genuine rarity in the series. It's close on both counts but both grades are real. It's a heart stopper.

Thank you, Mr. Colorful for the pat on the back and for that great little motto: "People without vices tend to have annoying virtues" Alot of truth there.

Mitch: You have a scan of my 43-D in MS68 Full Steps. Do you think you could post that on my Registry Set? I think Mr. Colorful would love that coin with its incredible rainbows front and back.

Dear RGL: <<Magnificent taste, coins, and pocketbook>> Thank you! Yesm the coins make a magnificent set! And yes, they did cost a pretty penny, but not nearly as much as you'd think I'd have to shell out to piece together a world-class collection. Heck, one of the two reasons I started collected the Jefferson nickels was that they were inexpensive.

I was at a point where I was stuck on my Three Cent Nickel collection -- that had gotten up to a nice level and the new coins and upgrades were becoming few and far between. So I was getting bored with them. I started casting about for an interesting challenge to that wouldn't be expensive. I did my homework, and soon afterwards started digging into the Jefferson full steppers. It was exactly what I hoped for: An interesting challenge and one that didn't break the bank.

But let me be precise here about what I meant when I said "inexpensive." By that, I mean "undervalued." WAY undervalued.

Heck, consider my 54-S in MS67 Full Steps, the rarest and most expensive coin in my Jefferson nickel collection. By way of comparison, I was offered a single Buffalo nickel -- a key coin and a rarity, but not nearly as rare as the 54-S in MS67. And the asking price on the Buffalo nickel? From memory, I think it was 8 times what I paid for the 54-S. Eight times as much!

Now that's why I collected the Jeffersons, not the Buffalo nickels. The Buffalos -- which I loved as a kid and still do love -- are fully valued. The Jeffersons are way, way under the price levels that they'll command in 2 to 5 years.

That's all for now, guys. It's morning where you are; it's past midnight where I am.

Have fun and I'll see ya in the morning.

Just having fun!

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From memory, I seem to recall the 1999 written soft cover Registry book (there was no internet Registry just 4 years ago), in which Steve Pierce (golfpkg from ebay and these boards, although he hasn't been around here for a while - anyone know why?), had a fabulous MS Jeff nickel collection which was essentially described in that book as unbeatable. I am sure you can still view it in the All-Time list somewhere off the first page

Seems like a very good reason not to pay too much to acquire top pop modern coins! image

heh, heh, heh! Couldn't resist! image
  • Very nice....Like all Jeff Heads I have been following your collection daily. A true bench mark of the series. By the way....what does the FS mean behind the grade? image

NICKEL TRIUMPH.....NO STEPS
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
    "Seems like a very good reason not to pay too much to acquire top pop modern coins!"

TDN: Agreed.

But, I will tell you this. When I put the deal together to buy S. Pierce's 1938-64 Jeff nickel collection several years ago, my buyer at that time (not JHF) passed on his 1965-date collection (if I am not mistaken, R. Overby likely bought it to form the core of his current spectacular collection). That modern nickel set, as well as the classic 1938-64 collection has, to date, increased in value on an annual basis as nicely most classic coins have, to be sure image

I think we might agree that there are great opportunities in MS moderns, as there are great opportunities in MS classics and that there are, undoubtedly, also terrible modern buys and terrible classic buys.

Wondercoin

• Just Having Fun:

What a magnificent collection!! You are being very modest by saying this set may one-day be surpassed. I know how difficult it is finding full steppers to upgrade my collection. Upgrading your set will be far more challenging.

Congratulations on a truly fabulous set of full step Jeffersons.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    those sure are nice - any chance of pictures sometime in the next few months?
    This set may be beaten in the future but it will never be easily beaten.

It's the bottom of the second but this is a six run lead.
    Tempus fugit.
    "It's the bottom of the second but this is a six run lead."

Cladking - I'll give you that image

A good portion of the modern collection is up by the way CK.

Wondercoin

• A superb set! Congrats!

Looks like there are only 9 possible upgrade coins at this point in time. Seven
    or these are pop 1 coins! Wow!

Ken

<< <i>

A good portion of the modern collection is up by the way CK.

>>

There are lots more great coins in this set. link

link added
    Tempus fugit.
    CK: That 1970(d) in gem FS is one rare (yes, I said rare) modern coin. Also, there are a few other super low pop coins which I could not post because the serial numbers did not register properly for whatever reason. The modern set should be a nice compliment to the #1 and #2 sets Overby and Corso will also likely exhibit. image

Wondercoin
  • Glad to meet you, Clackmas, and thank you!

Dear Mr. Only Roosies: Yes, it's been a lot of fun and I agree with you: I doubt I'll be able to overtake Ray Overby's #1 spot in the '65-to-the-present Jefferson's. I got into the second half of the series pretty late in the game and by the time I did, many of the top coins were nailed down by others. But I'm going to enjoy the hunt for the top coins in the series nonetheless. To me, it's not competitive. I get enough competition in business to last me two lifetimes. I like to relax and enjoy myself with coins.

And my hat is off to Ray; he's a thoughtful and intelligent collector; it's nice that someone like him has the #1 slot in '65-to-present.

Dear Clad King: I have a pretty-good collection in the Jefferson nickels 65-to-present, but I think I'm much better in the clad quarters.

Nice to meet you, too, BNE and thank you for your nice comment. To tell the truth, when I first visited the Registry Set that Mitch (Mr. Wondercoin) posted for me on the Jeffersons, I was as stunned as you to see how few coins away from "perfection" I was. Perfection in quotes because the schtickt of the Registry Sets is that none of the NGC (or ANACS) coins will top the ones in PCGS slabs, and I know that ain't true. At least one of my best nickels came from an ANACS slab and it not only crossed but upgraded. I've had the same experience with NGC slabs, but not in the nickels.

Thank you, Datentype. CAn I take it you like hockey?

Best from Bangkok,

Just having fun

• <<Mitch, with so many fantastic JHF Registry Sets in such short order, how many more new JHF sets should we be expecting to see in the near future?>>

Dear Colorful Coins:

You don't see all of my collections because some of my best coins are in NGC holders. PCGS hasn't crossed them and I haven't seen their equal (or better) in an PCGS slab. I don't see the point in spending thousands or even upwards of ten thousand to get an inferior coin just to qualify for PCGS's registry set.

I don't want to get into an NGC/PCGS type of thing. I do prefer the PCGS slabs -- they're usually far more reliable. Indeed, when I buy an NGC slab sight unseen, I mentally subtract off somewhere between a quarter and a half of a point from their grade and bid accordingly. But that doesn't mean that NGC doesn't get some coins that are both dazzlers and accurately graded. I'm happy to buy those coins for my collection, regardless of the brand of plastic.

My best collection is of the US-Philippine coins, minted from 1903 to 1945, inclusive. They were the perfect US coins for me; incredibly scarce in any form of unc condition; so they were (and are) the funnest challenge I ever had in coin collecting.

And they were AMAZINGLY undervalued. I got a 1918-S Large S cent in MS 63 off E-Bay (Population 12 in UNC of any grade) for under $300. To put that in perspective, the 1918-S large S is the key coin in the US-PHilippine cent series, and is comparable in difficulty to the 1914/13 Buffalo nickel. But it isn't even 1/100th the price.

So I figure, as with the Jefferson nickels, the US-PHilippines have nowhere to go pricewise but up. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it surely will happen. Something nice to leave my kids.

Best wishes,

Just having fun!
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I beleive I have seen the 43-d fs in 8 and it's the nicest piece of "coinart" I have seen. Absolutely stunning and virtually unattainable and unmatched.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a very strong set!
  • Hi Boston and thank you. "I still have a real kicker to come for this set. Won't say until it is in my hands." I hope you get it, and I'll be looking to hear about it.

Dear Trade Dollar Nut:
    <<Seems like a very good reason not to pay too much to acquire top pop modern coins!>>

Isn't that the truth! Those pop's are born to rise; the prices of the 1/0 moderns, born to fall. You have to be nuts (like I occasionally am) to shell out the bucks asked for some of those coins when you know the population is going to rise. Not to say I haven't done it; but then I never denied I wasn't nuts.

Dear GQ. Thanks and your question <<what does the FS mean behind the grade?>> is a killer.

It means one thing to an ANACS collector, another to an NGC collector, and a third to PCGS collectors. And if you ask the Jefferson Nickel Full Steps (FSNC) people, you'll get still a fourth answer. Won't don't you start a thread with that question and watch the fur fly? And if you don't want to, let me know and I'll start one.

Enjoy!

Just having fun!

• Dear Mr. Nickel Collector:

Thank you so much. The thoughtful way you put your collection together was a genuine inspiration to me.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun!
  • <<those sure are nice - any chance of pictures sometime in the next few months?>> From Sinin

Dear Mitch:

Ugh. That sounds like a project and a half. What would need to be done on my end to enable you to post the pictures on your end?

Best,

Just Having Fun!
    JHF: I'll send you an email later this week.

Wondercoin
    JHF, I have pitchers of all my dimes on my set. I did them all myself and would be more then happy to do your entire set
    at no charge. I live near Mitch and could coordinate with him. It would be my pleasure.

Nick
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Hi JHF,

Congrats on the dream set of nickels. Do you know the pedigree of the 54-S? Bernard Nagengst has a beautiful fully struck 54-S pictured in his book (The Jefferson Nickel Analyst). I have wondered if that is the MS-67FS nickel that you now own.

Mark
    Mark