Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Kellogg's Question

I've never submitted any Kellogg's cards before. I have some early 70s material that might be submission-worthy but I'm wondering if there are any red flags to watch for beyond the obvious like cracks, centering, etc. I have some well centered cards with nary a mark.
The backs do show some white along the back edges but it seems like this is unavoidable given the way these cards were produced and cut (sort of like OPC). Any tips from some Kellogg submitters?

Comments

• talk to the King!!! "King Kelloggs"
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Ripken...

Here's a few tips on the K Kards...

1) Never submit ANY Kellogg's cards with any kind of a "Krack". I don't care if it's a "drop dead" eyepopper. That little crack will cost you dearly...Best I've ever seen with a crack....PSA 5 !!

2) Look for pure white color on the card stock. Where corners and edges seem to be paramont on most cards..."eye appeal" is the benchmark on Kellogg's.

3) Don't worry so much about the back colored borders showing a little white. Remember that Kellogg's cards are seperated from panels that leave a little "chaffing" and "chads".

4) Speaking of "chads"...DON'T TRIM THEM !!!...PSA knows the difference.

5) Centering, corners, and edges all fall under the PSA grading guidlines.

6) Always check for surface scratches.

7) MOST IMPORTANT TIP !!...When the cards are returned to you from PSA.....Remember....Send all your 1970 PSA 10's, immediatly, to THEGEMMINTMAN and all 1971 through 1983 PSA 10's to KING KELLOGG for large payments.

I hope this has been helpful.......

Have FUN collecting Kellogg's cards !!!!!!!!!!

KING K

(Larry)
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Larry,

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to help out on this thread...lol

Carlos
  • Carkim...

Hi Carlos.

Actually, I tried to break the "land speed record" getting back to Ripken. I did a little background work along the way........Did you know that Cal Ripken has never been on a Kellogg's card ??? That seems odd, because Kellogg's made card sets in 1991 and 1992 (even a spanish version...). Maybe Cal was endorsing "Post" or that "General Mills" guy......

So many great players year to year....Such small sets....Only so many holes.........ha'

(hope you are getting stronger each day..)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • One thing I always have found helpful is to take a K card and put it under a table lamp - preferably halogen - and look at it from an angle for horizontal scuff marks. The production process for K's leave the surface with top to bottom "ridges" that stick up enough to be easily scuffed even under gentle handling. Usually it's the storage process that produces scuffing. Looking at the card undfer direct bright light from an angle can reveal scuffing that is sometimes, but not always apparent from head-on viewing.

Just be sure not to get the card too close to the lamp! image

Steve

PS - The complete run of raw K's in the Mastro auction is now at $2,700
  • Oh, and by the way - King and Gemmy have far too many 10's for their own good, and there is no need for the rich to get richer. Send me ALL of your 10's and the world will be a far better place......
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    King & All,

Thanks for the input. I wasn't planning to grade any K's but came up a little short of 100 so I went thru my complete sets & found the '72s especially were wonderful. '71s not so great. The other years very nice but I know it's proper to be picky on these. I'm kind of mixed on sending them in, however, because I'll have to replace them with ungraded ones (I usually sell the graded stuff because my own sets are displayed in binders and I'm not completely condition-conscious there).

Man if you guys are only after 10s, you are focused! My 73s are still in the panels as shipped from the factory. Any cards in particular from '70-up that have proven tough in high grade?
  • Contrary to myth, 1971's are not the toughest cards in high grade - a little more scarce overall, I'll grant you, but for my money the 1975's and 1979's (plus the 1981 Winfield, which might merit a whole different thread on its own) are even tougher.

You almost never see any 1975 and 1979 graded K's for sale. I have opened dozens of 1979 factory fresh boxes and have never found a consistent series of cards worth grading. For some reason, 1979's never aged well in the factory box. They all seem to come out discolored and just plain nasty looking.

The 1981 Winfield is like playing bad golf - it frustrates the hell out of you without really knowing why. King, Stump, myself, and others have sent in what to our experienced eyes look to be PSA 8 or 9 or 10 cards, only to have them all returned miscut. As a group none of us are rookies at pre-grading, but the position of that particular card on the cutting sheet seems to make it a bad luck charm.

I could go on, but as you can tell, collecting K's has a challenge and charm all its own. The 3-D idea is a great concept, the sets are small enought to collect, and are loaded with HOF'ers. However, there are even some questions the King cannot answer, such as why Hank Aaron never appear on a K card when his equally gifted contemporaries did (Mays, Clemente, etc..) As for Ripken, he really didn't register on the baseball consciousness until 1983, which was the last year for K's as most of us accept them.

Anyway, food for thought. I have other theories about K's but please don't call me Oliver Stone....

• << <i>Send all your 1970 PSA 10's, immediately to THEGEMMINTMAN and all 1971 through 1983 PSA 10's to KING KELLOGG for large payments. >>

That sounds about right KING KELLOGG image.

You know I think PSA should present KING KELLOGG with a Kellogg's Life Time Achievement Award image.

<< <i>King and Gemmy have far too many 10's for their own good, and there is no need for the rich to get richer. >>

Machodoc - yes, but think about all the money we spend to prop up the economy image