Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1967 cello results...

Invoice popped yesterday. I have mixed feelings on the cards as I expected to do better in terms of the number of 9's (compared to 8's), but it didn't happen this time. There will be 5-7 resubmits for sure. That said, 23 cards submitted yielded 17 8's, 5 9's, and 1 GM 10 (Tony Oliva). Of the 9's, Sparma is 1/2, Oliver is 1/6, Simmons is 1/1, Stanky is 1/12, and Horlen is 1/4. All in all, not too bad. The Oliva will probably go up for auction in 2004--just need to decide what is best method.

Incidentally, Invoice also produced 1965 TOPPS one PSA 9 1 of 2, three PSA 9 1 of 3, and another PSA 9 1 of 4.

Eimage
"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.

Comments

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    EJ -- Congrats on the Oliva and those 9's aren't shabby results either!

I'm one those who believe unopened material should be opened and enjoyed and should not be simply a nice conversation piece nor an investment in the future. Keep after those cellos and packs my friend!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    EJ,

Auction the Oliva here! I'll offer 10 bucks!

Let me just finsh by saying that you are a far braver man than I. The last 2 - 1972 Wax packs that I opened were SO far off-centered from top to bottom, that I didn't have one card to send in. That was $275 down the toilet with zip, zero, nada, nothing in return.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>Auction the Oliva here! I'll offer 10 bucks! >>

Being the kind of guy I am and not waning to see Frank take advantage of you I will offer $15.00 - That's 50% more!!!!

Very nice results indeed ... Just curious do you feel like buying the pack was worth it? Or would it have been cheaper to buy already slabbed?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll up the ante to $20.00 ...... truth be told I'd rather have the sparma in a 9 ..... so its your choice $20 for the sparma or $20 for the oliva....

congrats on the 10 - know you know how it feels !

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    excellent results
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

What cards were the 1965 PSA 9's ?

John
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    HAHA. Thanks for the generous offers. Ate dinner last night with Ray B. Shotz up here in Maine. He offered some roadkill, and I was so hungry, so he has dibs. NOT!

Steve--I do like the feeling of having submitted a 10--but I'll feel better when I actually get it back. I know you know the feeling (about 10X, right)?--I will bring it to Ft. W for viewing.

I'd really doubt I'd ever get the stones to spend (or open) a vintage wax pack. That is a total gamble. At least with cellos, one can examine corners and centering on 1 front and 1 reverse. I look forward to my next adventure ripping a 67 cello. Would be interested in a series other than series 1--to date that is all I've ever encountered.

E

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    So the unit of trade you prefer is dead side-of-the-road animals!
    OK - I'll up Ray B's offer with MORE road kill .....

I have you addresss - I'll send 'em up; just let me know how many it would take to get the sparma !
    Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    John:
    1965 PSA 9 from this last group I had lying around and finally decided to submit--

Also, submitted an AL pitching leader on a seperate invoice that drew a 9--card is # 7 maybe?

48, 125, 171, 393, 518, 537, 594. Also picked up another 32 psa 8's including my 2nd PSA 8 Siebert. Now I really regret having sold the 15% of the set (8.15) with many low pop 8's and 9's in February. image

E

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Where can one find a 67 wax or cello, and how much are they? Does anyone have a 1967 Alston available?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    The more things change - the more they stay the same!
    EJ wavering on his 1965 set plans .....

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
  • Options
    Steve,

Eric is such a nice guy I think we should both send him the road kill gratis! To expect cards in return just isnt right. :-)

EJ - Felt privileged to get first hand reporting on the invoices and enjoyed the chow. Hope to see the Oliva in person before you send it down the road to auction for a ten year supply of 'kill. :-)
    Keep in touch.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Eric,

I haven't seen that many 5's since I was trying to find a date at Georgia Tech! All kidding aside...that was a great submission. The Oliva PSA 10 alone will be worth it.

BTW - The lone 1961 Topps (Schmidt) was mine...I thought it was a lock 8 or possible 9...came back a 7! My eye's just aren't what they used to be.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    ej , nice results overall. I'll chime in on the 2 66 philly cellos I opened . submitted 12 of the 24 cards. The centering was way off on the others like the majority of philly's . results 4 - 9's , 7-8's and i am still not sure how but I got a 7 on one. also got 3 gem mint 10's on 64 philly football which are my 1st on vintage cards. I have the same feeling as ej, great but can't wait until they get backimage
  • Options
    Good luck PackCollector!image

Neal--Depending on "showing" cards, graded cellos can go from 375 to whatever you want. Steve at BBX seems to have his hands on them on a regular basis.

E

• Options
    EJ-

Nice pick up on the Siebert PSA 8....he is a monster in that set. (as you know)

John
  • Options

Dang! I'm missing so many low pop. '65s, by the time they're high pop., card grading will have become a passing fad. (Hula hoops and Pet Rocks.)

My last strong pickup of raw '65s was at last year's SF Labor Day show. This year, I'm 2500 miles away. I hope somebody out there is fishin' for commons, 'cuz if'n I wuz there, I'd be.
  • Options
    Toppsgun-

Why not sell your low-pops now...then wait a few years and buy them back when they are high pops?

John
  • Options

Basilone, give me some examples of what I should be selling. What is considered a low pop in '65? BTW, don't PM me.
  • Options
    Take a look at the online POP report. Make a list of anything under 10 pop in PSA 8. List those cards (if you have them) on eBay. Repeat. I would show you examples from my auctions but I think its been longer than 30 days. Well you might want to hold on to them...because I think Sheewulf and TapTap have already bought most of mine. heh.
    John
  • Options

That's interesting, John. However, what you suggest would result in a very short list, to wit:

14-Gabrielson (pop.7)
    21-Blasingame (9)
    22-Smith (3) forget about this one...but maybe Davalillo will sell his 9
    25-McBean (7)
    44-the other Blasingame (7)
    96-Siebert (7)...congrats to ejguru
    109-Bond (9)
    164- ?? (9)
    291- ?? (7)
    447-Javier (9)

I have a feeling that those who own these are predisposed to hanging on to them.

Such strategy would be very unlikely to result in success. Here's why:

If, after four long years of massive submissions (>40,000) cards, only ten commons have achieved a pop. of less than 10, it stands to reason that these ten cards are simply in extremely short supply, graded or raw, that could meet the PSA 8 standard. It might me near impossible to buy them back, ever.

A more lucrative strategy would be to (a) determine how many current, active '65 set builders there are, (b) search out the cards with populations less than the number of active set builders, (c) list them on ebay with much pomp and fanfare.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Toppsgun,

I don't see the prices of low pops going down in the 1960's right now - if anything they are going up. Unless you need the money for something else I would probably hang on to them. The population of many of those cards hasn't changed for almost 2 years which makes me skeptical of how many more of them there are left ungraded. If you have plans on keeping the 65 set then my guess is that they will only cost you more money later to buy them back.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Toppsgun

Go ahead and list them. I will be right there bidding strong.

Daveimage
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Hey Guys....

POPs are a two way street and timing is everything. For example, Joe Gibbon was a very tough card about a year and half ago. Now he was a pop of 20. A year ago there were a good number of PSA 8s that had a pop under 10....from Toppsgun list below you can see that number decreased.

If you look at the 1965 landscape you will see a number of sets completed or near completed and those owners seem to be the type to be able to afford to hold on to them (ie. not break the up to reinvest into another set). There are also a number of guys who are not on the registry that pop up time to time to bid on the hard stuff.

To maximize your results..I have found it is best to do you homework and see what the guys that are 50% plus actually need for their sets. Those gentlemen (like Stump) will be glad you are offering up the tough ones and will bid accordingly. I have sold over 150 PSA 8 1965's this summer and started them all out at $9.95 and the tough cards will get noticed...trust me. No games to play...just offer what collectors want and the rest will take care of itself.

The list that Toppsgun provided below basically represents the real tough commons in the set. I would of added Bubba Phillips but Ive sold 3 of his this summer so I think all of the top guys have gotten theirs by now.

In addition to the low pop commons....I would also add in those elusive Yankees.....Tom Tresh, Joe Pepitone, Elston Howard, Al Downing, Pete Mikkelsen, Roland Sheldon, etc.

Here are several more cards that are STRONG sellers in addition to what Toppsgun listed:

#24 Twins Team
    #30 Jim Bouton
    #71 John O'Donoghue
    #127 Frank Lary (sold mine for $36.01)
    #157 Zoilo Versalles (sold mine for $37.00)
    #200 Joe Torre
    #208 Tommy John (sold mine for $75.01 - I would not expect that every time though)
    #209 Pirates Team (dont let the POP fool you...sold my PSA 8 for $108.50)
    #218 Dick Schofield (I sold my PSA 8 for $102.50 )
    #223 Dan Osinski (sold my PSA 8 for $41.03 )
    #327 Denis Menke (sold mine for $32.00)
    #340 Tony Oliva (this is card is a monster card in the 1965 set)
    #377 Willie Stargell (sold mine for $90.50...this card sold for $60.00 a year ago....time to update the SMR)

John

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BASILONE - I agree w/ all that you say BUT you had a couple of new bidders that came into the fold when you listed your cards this summer. The bidders battled on just about everything w/ the frenzy that a new set brings. Once they re-do their budget and set their strategy w/ SMR in mind, things will cool down a bit. I'm not saying that the Sieberts, Fairlys & Gabrielsons wont get the high bids they deserve, but the higher pops that you had musta set records. I saw many cards that the '65'ers would have easily got for under smr and even in the $10-$15 level, reaching double & triple that, I remember easy stuff like the Red Sox Team card bring in good money, so your auctions hit at the right time with the new blood. Others may not be so lucky...jay
  • Options

Jay-

You are right about that....I just started another thread that shows the data on approx 104 PSA 8s I sold this summer.

John
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    JOHN - Timing is everything, which of course most of timing is luck. I remember before I even started my '65 set about 3 years ago I eBay'd a Richie Allen '65 PSA-8, it hit over $100 (maybe it smr'd for $35-40, now its $60) and having that knowledge of its new found value, I picked up another one a month later for like $40 knowing I should easily double my $. I put it back on eBay and it went for in the $30's - Sometimes you just don't know!...jay