Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1798 Silver dollar ... Fake or Real

Hi,

I was bidding this up until today when somebody emailed me and said this coin which I will link you to is a fake....I've done a boat load of research and to me it all checks out....you more experienced collectors might catch something that I missed but as far as I can tell this is a high 8 with 13 stars. I sure would appreciate somebody taking a look at this coin before I continue my bidding.
1798 silver dollar

then here is what I know is a fake that I did not catch before I bid on it and that is a 1796 silver dollar that you would think was the real McCoy until you look at the reverse....the 1796 came with a small eagle on the reverse...the heraldic eagle did not start until 1798 and here is the link to check that one out
1796 silver dollar

Can you folks take a look at the 1798 for me and let me know your opinions..the email claimed that the date and lettering isn't right but everything I've found so far about the coins says its real....coin prices magazine shows 8 variations of this coin for that year so maybe the person who emailed me didn't have all the facts needed.

Thanks again for your time

Matt

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both coins linked are replicas, and not very convincing ones at that. neither is worth anything.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    thanks for the heads up while I still have a chance to bail out of this...thanks again

matt
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you penguingenius? you should cancel your bid on the 1796 "coin" as well.
    these fake bust dollars are all over ebay, my advice is do not bid on one unless it is certified by Pcgs, NGC, or ANACS, and in any event, learn a LOT more about these before shopping for one.

there are some excellent websites, notably one by Cardinal, that I'm sure someone will link for you tomorrow.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a page on the most common fakes of Draped Bust dollars on the market.

Not only are the coins you linked to counterfeit, but they aren't even good counterfeits. Typical, obvious crap. And every day of every week of every month, people buy this stuff as real, and end up flushing hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars down the toilet. It's pathetic, and it's sad.

<< <i>I've done a boat load of research and to me it all checks out... >>

Then maybe you should educate yourself more. I'm not saying this to be snotty, really. I just think you'll be happier if you don't throw your money away. Maybe you should stick to coins in PCGS, NGC, or ANACS holders if you must bid on Bust dollars before you get up the learning curve. Sometimes you have to look at a few authentic examples first. We all have to learn one way or another. And with the Bust dollars, like the gold, there are not only crappy copies out there, but some damn good sneaky, dangerous ones, too. Like the 1799 die-struck counterfeit dollars with the broken "R" in in LIBERTY. Those would fool most experienced numismatists who didn't know better.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forums, Matt. There is a lot of knowledge here and you did the right thing by asking about those. Stick around a while!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thanks lordmarcovan.....the links will be useful and much appreciated....I'm basically doing this because through unfortunate circumstance I became 100% disabled and get a pretty decent check monthly from the VA.....I want my 3 kids to have a good future as far as school goes and I need something to fill my time so I decided to get into coins. I'm doing good so far when it comes to most nickels, dimes, halves, and current gold and silver eagles...I'm finding good buys...most stuff is rating ms63 and higher that I am buying and decided to try and dabble with some older coins....I sure am glad I got that email this afternoon about that being a fake because it got me on the board here to start learning which I'll admit I need and also you can never get enough knowledge.

Thanks again

Matt
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    cheep fakes

K S
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to be an expert in early dollars to see that both of these are fakes, and poor quality ones at that.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Well, kudos to whoever emailed you, then. Though it ain't technically kosher by eBay rules (auction interference and all that), it was probably the right thing to do. There are SO MANY of those damn fakola Bust bucks out there!

Glad to have you aboard. The folks here'll keep you straight.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    yeah I agree about the ebay rules...but then I got to thinking at the time I got it...before I do any complaining I will check out the guy's claim...well you guys proved him right so I think I'll leave well enough alone and this is one less fake that will be sold lets hope.

• Options
    I would say it's kosher... if someone is shilling fake crap, they deserve any nasty thing that happens to them..

May rabid gerbils nibble on their toes..

• Options
    You gotta watch out for 'dem rabid gerbils...

• Options
    heh are you sure that is a gerbil cause it sure looks like it could pass for a minnesota gopher image
  • Options
    It does look more like a groundhog.

The people who made that image don't seem to know either. The title has both "hampster" (sic) and "gerbil" in it.

Whatever it is, it's a big dang varmint. No wonder that unlucky tourist guy bit the dust on 9-11.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No wonder that unlucky tourist guy bit the dust on 9-11. >>

Actually, he survived. Different building. That giant mutant rodent in the picture swatted away the plane that was about to hit him.

The above image was shot just prior to the rodent's arrival on the scene.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grover1:

Judging from what I've read about you in this thread, I think you should restrict your buying of rare coins in a big way. First, you should not venture into the wild, wild west of numismatics so poorly educated (numismatically-speaking).

IMO, you should stick with slabbed coins by PCGS, NGC or ANACS because those three services offer a warranty. You should go to their web sites and find out for yourself the terms of the warranty. In any case, sticking with REPUTABLE slabs is also laden with dangers, but at least you get some financial protection.

Second, you should inquire as to which are the trustworthy dealers that serve the marget segment that fits your collecting interests and budget. Stick with those dealers.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must agree with all the responders here. Both of those EBay auctions are for common fakes!

Here's another auction where you can buy a full date run of 1796-1804 dollars with one winning bid:

THESE COINS ARE A FEW PIECES AMONGST A BAG OF COINS PASSED DOWN OVER THE GENERATIONS. WEATHER THESE COINS ARE VALUABLE I DONT KNOW. WEATHER THEY ARE REAL OR GENUINE, I DONT KNOW THAT EITHER. THEY HAS NEVER BEEN SUBMITTED FOR ANY FORM OF GRADING OR AUTHENTICATING. SINCE THESE COINS HAVE NEVER BEEN SUBMITTED, I CANNOT TELL U IF THEY ARE AUTHENTIC OR THE ESTIMATED VALUE. NOR DO I WANT TO TAKE THE TIME AND TROUBLE OF AUTHENTICATING AND A POSSIBLE LIVE AUCTION. THESE COINS ARE OLD JUDGING BY THE WEAR. (JUST LOOK AT THE PHOTOS)THESE COINS HAVE NOT BEEN CLEANED BY ME OR TO MY KNOWLEDGE. I'LL START THE BIDDING AT $500 FOR ALL 9 OF THESE COINS. ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT THESE COINS BEFORE BIDDING, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK.

The sellers of these things always claim they don't "know" whether they are real or not, that they haven't submitted them for authentication, and that they don't want to take the "time" to have them authenticated and submitted for a live auction. Well, I don't know how much "time" they would really need -- all they would have to do is look at the many other identical fake bust dollars being sold on EBay to know that their item is a fake. (Hmmm....1796-1804 Heraldic Eagle dollars, all using the EXACT same reverse as an 1796 dollar never that was never made for circulation with the Heraldic Eagle reverse?)Besides, with the rarity of bust dollars, a genuine coin would be worth the time and expense of professional grading.

In my opinion, these sellers already know full well that these are fakes and just figure they will sell better with the story (passed down for generations, from an old Indian, from an old estate) and the mystique (maybe it just might be real). I am glad that someone alerted you to the true status of these before it was too late.

Here is what a genuine 1798 High 8 bust dollar looks like:

imageimage

And here's a link to my website with lots of free information (and LOTS of pictures) of genuine bust dollars.

Welcome to the Boards, and Happy Collecting!
    --Cardinal
  • Options
    Nice site, cardinal. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file