Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A 1964 PR70 WASHINGTON ON EBAY

Here is a link to the ebay auction

link

I emailed the seller asking for the actual certification number of the coin in the auction, and find it curious that he would picture a different coin? anyone know this seller?

cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have not done business with them, but they put that " coin may not be one picture " line in every auction because thay must keep these auction descriptions in a database and it is easier to pull something up that they typed once than to repicture and retype.

What is the population report on this? -

Sometimes I wonder if they even have the coin or if they know they can get it in 2 days from -> EurekaTrading , CCE , coinnet??? -> other dealers on these exchanges that have offers for their coin at XX price.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They used to be Numismatic Consultants and are somehow affiliated with coin-slinger (he links all his images off their server). I did business with them back before they changed their eBay ID and had no problems at all.

They, and coin-slinger, seem to have an uncanny ability to score 70's at PCGS.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>They, and coin-slinger, seem to have an uncanny ability to score 70's at PCGS. >>

All in the numbers - they used to slab more coins every week than most of us will own in a lifetime....... volume, volume, volume imageimageimage

I've purchased coins from them (and off ebay) and never had a problem - nice coins usually with fair prices, good customer service and quick shipping - wouldn't hesitate buying from them again.
    ahhhh....... SODO MELVIN?????
  • Options
    Excellent coins and sellers.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    Here you go:

PR69 689 32
    PR69CA 137 0
    PR69DC 73 0
    PR70 32 0
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I actually did a transaction with them the day they changed their name, I forgot what their old name used to be. They also said the coins wouldn't be the ones pictured but the coins arrived and they looked great and I had no problems.
  • Options
    I also have dealt with this dealer in the past....have even been sent coins for my review with only a credit card to secure them.....no problem dealing with them at all..good service..excellent shipping, and most cases fair prices
  • Options
    POP 32 with none higher for only $199.00
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I was going to find this thread and TTT it. Thanks Bill.

I am curious why such a coveted item by registry folk went for what I assume is chump change???

anyone?
  • Options
    Goose3 wrote: "I am curious why such a coveted item by registry folk went for what I assume is chump change??? anyone?"

Well, I can answer this with AUTHORITY. Several years ago, about four years ago, you could have picked up the "common" proof-70s (1964, 1962, 1961) for prices ranging from $100 to $150 each; I know because I owned several of each date. The 1963 and 1960 with much smaller pops (5 each, if I recall) sold for as much as $500 each and I had one of each. Then the registry came along and the prices popped.

But, about a year or so into the Registry craze the "weightings" were added to the Registry sets, and collectors found that a PR69DCAM had MORE POINTS than a PR70. This caused an upheaval in the rankings. At the time I sold my #1 Proof Registry Set which had the date run of 1960 through 1964 in PR70. But today, that set only ranks as #4 in the All Time Finest list because the PR69DCAMs score more points.

This is why, I believe, PR70 Washingtons don't have the bucks chasing after them -- they don't score the points they used to score.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of a 1964 PR70 drop back to the $100 to $150 range.

cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    thanks for that explanation!
    I didn't even notice it wasn't Cam or even DCam!