Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Most Surprising Result from Mastro Auction?

Though there are 10 hours to go -- my initial thought goes to the following card:

1914 CJ Mathewson SGC 40

An incredibly tough card to find in any condition, there have been but two or three examples of this card to hit the auction circuit over the past five years. The pose is absolutely classic and Mathewson is definitely a significant HOFer. Nonetheless, a result like this truly catapults this card into a "HOF of Cards" type category. There are but a handful of cards that would commad into five figures in "only" Very Good condition. Most notably cards like Doyle NY Nat'l, Wagner, and Freddy Lindstrom. Not too many others cross that threshold.

I wonder if this auction will produce a few more examples of this card into the public auction circuit. The last example to see was sold with a large number of 1914 CJ cards.

Though there are many surprising results from the auction (and the final few hours are always a site to behold....), this is one I thought I would point out here. I would also speculate that Mastro is a bit surprised as well -- they typically would not start a five figure item at $500, with over 30 bidders with hours to go

Any others to discuss here?
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    The Reds trophy ball collection is awesome, but for half a million?

$60,000 for a 1903 World Series program that's written on AND restored?

The 1967 wax box is going for nearly double what the 1960 wax box is going for.

I think this is still a bargain.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    TWo really suprise me :

1888 Scrapps CArdinals in NM condition

I thought for sure this would go for well over 10K, I have NEVER seen a set this nice.....

1912 T207 Buck Weaver PSA 7

Rookie Card of Buck Weaver Highest graded example 1 of 1 Thought would it go much higher than this....

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Yes, I could see the Trophy Ball set going for that much, or more. There's nothing else to compare it to, and the quality for the age looks outstanding. That's real Christopher Columbus type stuff there.

My favorite lot is the group of 1939 Play Ball autographs including Moe Berg, Ted Williams, Carl Hubbell, and an awesome Arky Vaughn. I don't understand, though, why they only show 6 cards out of a 26 card lot.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I was just scurrying around, trying to place a bid on something so I get my free catalogue next time. Not to be redundant but, How does Mastro do it?
    How does he consistantly get the high price? I was marveling at the prices as I punched in the lot #'s
    Does he have a different clientel?
    I bid on the lot of (17) T205 PSA 7's almost reluctantly. If I win it, I'll be a sellin' machine before I can pay for it! (It'd be nice to have though).
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    smoke and mirrors
  • Options
    I was very surprised to see this item in the first place, and I feel justified that I didn't over pay for my set. As I paid 1/2 of the current high bid.

1973 Topps 53 Reprints

As the only person currently listed on the registry for this set, it's really hard to gauge the value. Especially without the SMR. These are very rarely seen on EBAY or at shows. You really have to hunt for them. Big Thanks to "anj" of these boards, he really did all the leg work to round them up. I just threw in some upgrades. But I was collecting more with my heart because these show the 53 artwork in it's full glory. I'll be happy to have another person listed with me on this great set. And maybe I can convince them to trade me that Peanuts Lowery 8, the only upgrade I could use.

I was also surprised to see both Maris single signed balls pulling a strong $2600.00+ each!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭

Is it just me or did PSA miss an OC qualifier on the McCullough? The upper corners look like 10/90.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    The53Kid.. I was also surprised to see the high bids for the 53 reprints!
    Thanks for the props. Enjoy the set!
  • Options
    Frank,

Yes, the McCollough looks really bad left-to-right. So bad it makes me wonder if there is an issue with the scan. But it is definitely a weak 8 and slightly diamond cut.

By the serial numbers they appear to be recent submissions so we can't blame the infamous "starts with 0" serial numbers. I have noticed that anything 50's related I have sent in recently has really been looked over well, and nothing slides through.

Want to watch another really cool lot? Check this one out, 10 - 1953 Topps PSA 9's. You never see a big group of 53's 9's together in one place, ....except in Anthony Fioto's set! These are beauties.

Big Money 9's - currently around 5x book

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Well.....the 1951 Bowman Mays in a SGC 96 went for essentially $46,000.

I wonder if this is a record for a non-PSA graded sportcard.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    incredibly low.
    HR#70
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Interchanges,

The highest paid for a non-psa graded card I believe was the 1933 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski SGC 96 sold by Wentz. Somewhere around 80K
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    ic + cdc,

The Mays at $52,854 is a pretty good price in comparison to the Psa 9 version that John Branca
    bought for around 110k.

The highest non Psa card sale at the highest price that comes to mind is the 1951 Sgc 96
    Bowman Mickey Mantle. I believe this went for around 105k. Maybe a little more; maybe
    a little less.

aconte
  • Options
    Well, we may have a winner here.
    wieghing in at a hefty $9,825.00 perhaps the SMR of $550.00 is a just a touch low.
    I mean that is only 1,783% of the valuation PSA's extensive research has come up with.

Boooooog

edited to clarify: I included buyers penalty and shipping
  • Options
    I agree with Murcerfan - the price on the 68 3-D Powell is unbelievable. Combine that card with the 11 card partial set of 68 3-D's that went for $11,831 plus the juice and you have a complete set of 68 3-D's with one PSA 8, one SGC 50, and ten SGC 40's for well over $20,000. Just for reference, SMR on this set in this condition would be around $4,000.

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Dang!! It's not even a very nice 8.
  • Options
    It IS nicer than mine (scanner added the blur).
    but is it really $9,100 nicer ?????.
  • Options

<< <i>Dang!! It's not even a very nice 8. >>

They don't have to be when Doug and Bill submit. image
  • Options
    I just settled for Boog's autographed 1968 All Star game used bat for about $7k cheaper....
  • Options

<< <i>They don't have to be when Doug and Bill submit. >>

You've got that one right. That's why I feel like it's the holidays everytime I place a bid -- just your typical Christmas come early (very early) for the Mastro clan. image

There have also been rumors of price fixing and auction tampering for years. That's why I love these private auctions so much. You never know how many lumps of coal you're going to get in your stocking. image
  • Options
    Every auction I am amazed at the prices realized. This was one of the first auctions that may have actually produced a couple lots, out of the nearly 2000 lots, that could be picked up just over retail.

MBT
  • Options
    "Just over retail" for Doug and Bill submitted cards? Sure seems like a bargain, does't it? Too bad some of the cards can't have a "Mastro" pedigree on them. I'm thinking that would bring an extra 25%.......below retail. image
  • Options
    I always look at the auctions but never bid. Do not want to contribute.