Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinions on Sniping vs. Placing Max Bid

Before I start, I want to ask everyone forgiveness, if this topic has been discussed in other threads prior.

I wanted to get the group's opinion on philospohy for bidding on an item, on eBay.

How do you feel, or what is your preference on snipeing at the last minute versus placing your maximum bid at some point during the life of the auction?

To me, it seems that each bidder has either one or the other bidding "personality." I have even seen some folks change their approach over the last couple of years and become aggresive snipers, where they used to not be as aggressive and stand on a max bid placed prior to close.

One of the reasons I bring this up, too, is that there seems to be an ebb and flow, to an extent. The snipes will slow for a while and then, all of a sudden explode again.

Just want to hear others' two cents. Thanks.

Chas
Chuck

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I only snipe unless the opening bid is at or near my max. that I am willing to spend.
  • Options
    I only snipe "must have" cards, but on a general scale, I think it's best to bet 50% of your "max" on the cards you're willing to lose (because sometimes you get it) and max out on the cards that you have a strong want...and snipe the "must have's" - my personal opinion, of course.
    Bill "diamantedude"
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I only snipe. I'm convinced it has saved me a lot of money over the years, and by entering a snipe I'm sure not to miss out on bidding (unless the snipe service goes down). I've stayed up late to snipe Mastro's as well, but with the irrational exuberance on this one I"ll be going to bed early Friday nite!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Snipe Everything!

JEB.
  • Options

I also only snipe.It allows me to not have my bidder ID show up on an auction.It also does not allow anyone else to do a bidder search and see what I am looking for.I have done many bidder searches and found cards that I might not have otherwise seen.This is just one way of achieving anonymity.It also has saved me money in my opinion.The only time that I don't snipe is if I would like to track something and my tracking is at the maximum.Then I put in a bid that I know will be outbid.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    I snipe some auctions because if I put my max bid on an auction early it gives someone else more of a chance to raise the bid higher with multiple bids until either they reach their max they are willing to pay or they outbid me. By sniping that keeps someone else from overbidding you at the last moment when they realize that they didn't bid enough to win auction.

Dave
  • Options

SNIPE OR BE SNIPED!!!

mx'er

I live on the east coast and I will usually bid manually on any card ending between 7 -11:30pm. I usually bid with anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes left on the auction. I am not chasing registry points and bid on some oddball stuff so the competition isn't as intense. I have more fun bidding the old fasioned way. Plus, I am not competing against big spenders so I'm not taking a big financial hit if I bid early and someone bumps my bid up. I track ending prices of previous auctions and bid accordingly so I never pay too much (my wife would tend to disagree)image

However, if an auction ends at an odd hour - or it is a card I have to have, I'll snipe. I have better things to do than stay up till 2AM trying to sync my watch to official ebay time. I only snipe about once a month and use AuctionHelper. From what I have read AuctionHelper is not a favorite of this message board, but they have never let me down.

I also do bidder searches to find auctions I may have missed. I used to have board member sch1st bidding list bookmarked because he was buying some PSA/DNA stuff I liked. He only snipes now - his bidding page is almost always empty.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I snipe nearly everything. The only reason I see to place a max bid is to hopefully "scare off" any potential bidders or in hopes to stake claim to the item. Many times price is not an issue with these types of bidders.

John
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    The only time I don't snipe is when I "buy it now".
    Sniping is the only way, whether you do it manually
    by hitting reload or by using a sniping service.
    And to be really effective, a snipe needs to be fired
    not within the last minute, but in the last 10 seconds.
    It prevents someone else from jacking up the bid on
    your max bid, and it also helps you avoid getting into
    an emotional bidding war which might make you pay way too
    much for a card.

I snipe, therefore I am.

Chuck
  • Options
    I think most everyone here is a sniper. It makes the most sense if it's a card you really want On anything that's worthwhile, nothing means a thing until the last ten seconds. There's nothing worse than seeing a much needed card end $5.00 above your price after you've been leading the bidding for eight straight days and have three seconds to go until closing. A little bit of experience will teach you this. All the people posting are intelligent collectors and their strategy is the correct one. Take their advice. It will save you some tears on your pillow.

Also, actually sniping the people you know you're up against with conventional weapons can help keep prices down so it works on all levels.

Best,

Satan

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I'll snipe almost everything UNLESS its a relatively easy card where I WANT to let others know that I'm interested in it. In that case, I bid a lowball bid early and let people know I'm interested. Most friends will shy away so the price stays lower. But, if I get outbid, I know that I need to set up the ole snipe!

95% of all the auctions I win are sniped.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I used to bid manually late in the auction. I would either get sniped or outbid by the bidder that I outbid. now I just snipe unless there is a buy it now or a high opening bid. i place an initail bid on cards with "buy it now " that I want but don't want to pay the buy it now and then snipe it at the end.
  • Options
    I snipe pretty much everything, although sniping is not without its problems: about a month ago, esnipe failed me on about a dozen bids, each of which sold for considerably less than my snipe. I was depressed, and ignored eBay for a while, but now I'm back in the game.

POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I snipe. As Ron Popeil would say, "Set it and forget it!"
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Ditto FB's comments. Also will use "Buy it Now" when offered for the "gotta have" items.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Another advantage to placing an early, very small bid is that if somebody comes along and offers the seller money to end the auction early, he might be inclined not to do so because somebody has already bid on the item. The cards I chase is from a modern set that are all serial numbered to 30. I usually place the minimum bid (2 bucks or so) and then put a big snipe at the end. There are a couple guys making this same set I am so I don't want them to be able to convice the seller to end the auction early.
  • Options
    Wow, great input on the topic. I appreciate everyone's input.

There is only one thing that I did not see mentioned. What about a given sniper (the lot, not referring to one person) that bids $500.00 for that $50.00 card? I mean, without giving away your closest secrets, is that how much you typically "go over" when sniping? Is the snipe within line of what the card is worth and what you think is fair, or is the snipe outrageous?
    Chuck
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Chasman,

Some folks might bid way, WAY over what the card is worth just to have it. I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. I did it once and paid $155 for a $25 card and the other sniper bought the next one a week later for that $25 figure. Since then, I've vowed to buy the 2nd (less expensive) one.

Only set your snipe up for what you'd REALLY be willing to pay. If you're collecting anything newer than 1959, the cards should come up from time to time (for the most part). But, you should also become knowledgable of your set or sets and get an idea of whether particular cards come up more often than new collectors join the fray. If the card is pretty difficult compared to others in your set - then ramp your snipe up. If the card comes up often, back the snipe down and wait for a perfectly centered one or a low priced beauty!

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Only set your snipe up for what you'd REALLY be willing to pay

That's become my gospel. I used to hate snipers but now I have joined the dark/snipe side.
    Since sniping: I no longer over bid on items.
    I no longer get involved in emotional bidding.
    I'm no longer the subject of shill bidding.
    I'm winning items for less than what I used to pay
    I'm getting more sleep now.

Trust your feelings and come to the snipe side.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    FabFrank,
    Thanks for the info. I snipe myself, already, at times.

I guess my concern is other snipers that bid $500.00 for a $50.00 card. I guess it is just a matter of the have and have nots. In that case, I am a have not.

I am willing to overpay for a card that I must have or desire. I may be inclide to pay $100.00 for a $50.00 card. But, I cannot compete with folks that bid several hunder over...I have only run into one or two bidders that do this.
    Chuck