Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Awards - 2003

Well...

The time is drawing closer... In a little over 2 months, some sets will go home winners... and some will just go home...

Last year, 6 sets were inducted into the innaugural Set Registry Hall of Fame.

T-206 King's 1909-11 T206 Baseball Set
Charlie Merkel's 1915 Cracker Jack Baseball Set
Charlie Merkel's 1952 Topps Baseball Set
John Branca's 1951 Bowman Baseball Set
Anthony Fioto's 1953 Topps Baseball Set
Don Louchios' 1935 National Chicle Football Set

The rules call for between 5-10 more sets to be inducted this year. Anybody want to make any predictions on who the next 5 might be? Do you know of any sets out there that you think will hit the registry before the Oct 31st deadline? Do you think that we'll see any big surprises with either major upgrades before the deadline? Will more sets outside of baseball get recognized this year?
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    1954 Wilson Weiners set will be added for sure. That collection will be very hard to beat and the award was handed out before this collection was acquired.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see William Gray's 1948 Leaf set get awarded. Out of the 98 card set, 88 of his are top pop, with many of those 1/1. Of the 10 possible upgrades, there are only 12 total cards higher than what he has. He has a 7.88 vs. the finest possible of 7.91, and it's a high-demand and TOUGH set.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I;d like to see 1954 - 55 Topps Hockey inducted. Those who know the issue will understand. TEEMU currently has every card in PSA 8 or better. Truly an astonishing feat.

Good luck to all.

Rob..image
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Without a doubt in my mind "The Smith T205 Gold Border Collection" should make it in. It is a new set that has been registered this year and has absolutely put last years award winner to shame.

Smith = 7.22 (Best set possible is within reach at 7.33)
    2002 winner EWH Memorial T205 Gold Border Collection = 5.91

I wish Smith would show his set,, but I understand as he is still upgrading it. I bet it would be a true sight to see if he ever put pics up....

1911 T205 Gold Border
  • Options
    Here's a list of this year's eligible award categories:

Each year, the number one sets in the following categories will receive an engraved award and a "Best of the Registry" icon by his or her set listing in the registry:

Best Collection of the Year

Best Set of the Year

Rookie of the Year - Best New Set in 2002

Vintage Set of the Year (1971 and older) -
    Per Sport (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)

Modern Set of the Year (1972 to present) -
    Per Sport (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)

Best Player Set of the Year

Best Topps Specialty Set of the Year

Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year

Best Regional Set of the Year

Best Non-sports Set of the Year

In addition, in each category the collector with the finest set with at a least 50% completion, will receive a certificate of recognition as well as a "Best of the Registry" icon by his or her set listing in the registry.

To recognize those All-Time Finest sets we will be inducting 5-10 all-time great sets into the PSA Set Registry Sportscard Collecting Hall of Fame every year. Hall of Fame collections and the contest winners will be selected based on a vote of sportscard experts.

This year's deadline for set registration and updates is October 31, 2003. Sets must be submitted for validation no later than 7pm PST. Please plan ahead when sending potential set registry cards to PSA for grading.

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Here is choices for the next HOF Class (I picked just baseball sets)

1.) John Branca - 1954 Wilson Franks
    2.) Andrew Kaplan - 1953 Bowman Color
    3.) Ron Ritt's Finest '68 Set - 1968 Topps
    4.) Robert L. Earhart Collection - 1969 Topps Supers
    5.) FB-1972 Topps Collection - 1972 Topps

John

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    John,

I can agree with your first 4, but not the 5th. I would stick Gemmintman's 70 Kellogg's set in there instead.

There are just too many mint cards left out there for the 72 set to get that kind of recognition yet. There are A LOT of much tougher issues prior to 1960 that should get their props first.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

Frank-

I am considering the sheer size of your set...to keep that level in a 787 card set....gets my vote.

John
  • Options

<< <i>I can agree with your first 4, but not the 5th. I would stick Gemmintman's 70 Kellogg's set in there instead >>

FB, are you sucking up? (It's working by the way). Thanks man.

Actually while I'm very proud of my 1970 Kellogg's set I feel that I've accomplished even more with my 1964 Topps Giants set (Highest Possible Set Rating).
  • Options
    Frank,

How about?

The Smith T205 Gold Border Collection - 1911 T205 Gold Border

or

one of RGOLD's Red Man sets......he owns that issue.

John

(oh yes...and thegemmintman's 1964 Giants sell will never be beaten....unless the his set is broken up).

John
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    My set should pull in a few!

Rookie of the year!!

Modern Set-Misc.!!!!

Gotta get some respect for the Venor's.image
  • Options
    One persons set that I think should be in the hall of fam by far, is Wes Verno's 1955 AA FB Set.

This set, is like 6 - 8 cards away from being a completely graded PSA - 9 set.

When was the last time you have ever seen such a masterpiece??
  • Options
    Frank:

Your 72 clearly will be a strong candidate for the modern set of the year, if not the HOF. I wonder if the definition of "modern set" will change each year? Next year a modern set should be 1973 - present, and each year advance one year. I also like Scott W's 1973 set. While he doesn't have as many 10's, there a couple of 8's that are very low 1/1 pop's (#217 Don Wilson is the only card graded and an 8).
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    I like to see my Hall of Fame Autograph set there....lolimage
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    1960's set over 9.3image The set Hall of Fame can't be taken seriously without this one.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    How are sets nominated for the awards? Just by PSA? Board members?

It would be hard not to vote for the sets which are graded at the highest possible, like Gemmint's 1964 Giants Set.

• Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    707 also has the finest possible 1965 topps football. Can't do much better than when no upgrades exist. Thats impressive.

1965 Topps Football
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    After reading what you guys have to say so far, I realized that robr1967 is right - I remembered Wes Verno's set being mentioned last year - but that was for Rookie of the Year. His set is DEFINITELY HOF caliber. So, I'm going to have to kick out gemmintman's 70 Kellogg's set and go with:

1.) John Branca - 1954 Wilson Franks
    2.) Andrew Kaplan - 1953 Bowman Color
    3.) Ron Ritt's Finest '68 Set - 1968 Topps
    4.) Robert L. Earhart Collection - 1969 Topps Supers
    5.) Wes Verno's - 1955 AA FB

gemmintman... sucking up? thats why your arse is outta there! Oh... but I'd like to add that at the set registry lunch that it was obvious that you were a man of character, taste and of great power. I felt it the moment we shook hands. Either that, or you were shuffling your feet on the carpet...image

Dave - I've got a shot at modern baseball of the year again, although I think that if Wayne makes it to 9.00 GPA before October (which he should) that I'll be one of those "Registry Has-Been's" skulking in the shadows at the local card shoes again! I also think that 72 AND 73 (the last 2 years issued in series- 73 one series anyway) should be moved back into vintage.

I think that when Chris Renaud finishes that 71 black bordered beauty his set will be a HOF candidate if he can get the GPA to near 8.75.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>gemmintman... sucking up? thats why your arse is outta there! Oh... but I'd like to add that at the set registry lunch that it was obvious that you were a man of character, taste and of great power. I felt it the moment we shook hands. Either that, or you were shuffling your feet on the carpet... >>

FB - dammit, I knew I should have been more humble and gracious image. Also, I may have exuded confidence at the Registry Luncheon, but that's only because I had just won at Blackjack image.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I vote RGOLD. His sets are the best. They should be better though. But it's not his
    fault they are not...

aconte
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    wes verno's 55 all american set is incredible, that must be a pretty set to look at
    that should be in the hall of fame
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

1961 Topps Baseball - McBride Collcection...is at 8.75 with no one else even close. He's also got the #5 set, if I'm not mistaken.

It's amazing when a guy could pass on a PSA 9 from 1961 'cuz he's already got one better!image
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Kellogg's collectors should be recognized somehow in all of this...

A couple of years ago, the little 3-D cards were almost non-existant. THEGEMMINTMAN, Zardoz, and a few others picked up on the fun and challange of collecting those fun relics of sporting years gone bye...

Now.........There are currently 179 Kellogg's sets on the Registry. Still fun and still challanging. Hard to complete in high grades, and a few "eye openers" along the way. Like the '75 and '81 set.

All in all, I would try to make my voice heard, in saying that the Registry should consider Kellogg's sets in their discussions on awards.

Great job to all the Registry collectors and especially the K Klub!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    It's good to see tunnel vision alive and well in the hobby.image
    Joe might have to turn the selections over to the Nippler.
  • Options
    Frank, Your 1972 Topps set gets my vote. Only another 1972 "Fab Five" guy can truly understand the horror and nightsweats that trying to complete a 787 card set brings. I've seen your set. Hell - I've traded you some cards to put into your set (remember the Schaal IA?). I may not have the collector's mileage that some of the other PSA collector have, but I understand this. Frank's set is the holy grail of a set to me and 88 other collectors. Neil
  • Options
    Well, as last year's T205 award winner, let me tell you that I feel no shame in my set being surpassed. I dedicated it to my late father and am very proud of the set. I've taken 12 years to build it, it was the first PSA graded Master Set ever assembled, is one of only two complete graded sets of ANY grade and I don't have Wendell's money. My hat's off to Wendell for building a remarkable set, one of the finest, most elite sets in the hobby. Regardless, I've thoroughly enjoyed assembling mine and I hope you have as much fun building yours.
  • Options
    Your T205 set is almost nearmint across the board. That is absolutely phenominal. Those gold bordered cards are near impossible to find in such fantastic condition and your complete set in such high grade is a quite an accomplishment. Awesome job!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    robr1967 said:

>> One persons set that I think should be in the hall of fam by far, is
    >> Wes Verno's 1955 AA FB Set.
    >> This set, is like 6 - 8 cards away from being a completely graded
    >> PSA - 9 set.

I might be a little partial because I also collect this fine set, but
    I'll throw in another vote for this set -- it is amazing! I wish the
    owner would allow us to see the set, though. It has been "hidden" for
    a couple months now. I think he's made some recent upgrades, too,
    because he now has an 8.94 set rating (finest possible set rating is
    8.94!). BTW, robr1967, I'm guessing that you're the owner of the '55
    AA "Rob Ruth" set...? if so, you're set is incredible also!

Here's an article from the PSA Library about the owner of the #1 All-
    American football set. Apparently his name is Joe Verno. Since there's
    a Wes Verno '55 AA set & another set on the list under the name Sarah
    Verno, Joe might be naming his sets after his children or something(?).

Article on Joe Verno & his collection

Betting that Ohio State will be starting out the season with a loss,

Chuck
  • Options

Betting that Ohio State will be starting out the season with a loss

Better that they end their regular season with a loss, don't you think?imageimage:joy:

UM Class of '79
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    i have to give frank smith some votes on his 75 set.he probably can't compete with those 60 psa 10's frank has in his 72 set but could be a close race. i am taking bets that frank wins best modern setimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Ditto,

On the Frank Smith, not only his 75's but 76's, 78's, 79's, 81's......All top notch quality not a
    dog in any of the sets. In the future he'll be the Fogel of the modern era.

Gator
  • Options
    Chuck:

To answer your question.

Yes.

I am the Rob Ruth in the registry, and thank you very much for the kind words about my set. Joe & Wes still dwarf mine though. Their set is huge. If any of you went to the National you were able to see it on display there in the PSA booth.

Wes's set by far deserves to be in the hall of fame. Being very close to being completely graded PSA-9. When was the last time you saw a set this old, graded completely MINT

Answer: NEVER

Rob
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    I agree with jackstraw and Gator5...

Frank Smith is VERY picky when it comes to adding another card to his giant sets. There is no such thing as a "low end" or "slider" in any of his sets. I've been with Frank many times during shows, and the cards available to him just didn't measure up, so he would pass... Great Job Frank.

Frank is just as picky on his Kellogg's sets ! Atta-boy Kid...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    >> Better that they end their regular season with a loss,
    >> don't you think?

Heh heh, very true, toppsgun! I watched the OSU/UW game today, and
    I gotta admit I underestimated the Buckeyes. Either that, or the
    Huskies are severely overrated. Whatever the case, maybe it would
    be best if both teams are undefeated when they meet in November --
    it will make a Michigan victory that much sweeter! image

robr1967 said: