Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Whats Going On Merc Folks.

Heck its really been Quiet from everyone. Dog days of Summer got everyone down ? Some folks have not posted here at all for the whole summer it seems like. Dimeman and Quattro come to mind. Is everyone just looking for coins and cannot find them ? With the influx of newer collectors the pieces sure seem to be hard to find IMO.

Rick with his NB Set probably wonders what the heck is Fairlaneman doing buying all of these NB coins, the last 5 I have bought have been NB coins. Hmmmm......

Al and Marc are making Great progress with thier Sets. I am just waiting for the day they shove my set into the depths of obscurity (SP) ? Others have made progress also but these two seem to be the most active.

Back to the thought on not being able to find coins. Yesterday I talked to a National Dealer of coins, one that does not have a Web Site to speak of, and asked him to check for a 40S Merc in PCGS 66FB with some color. He said no problem let me go to the Warehouse and find one for you. I gave him a call back a hour later and to his amazement he said only one was in stock and it was a ANACS coin, I passed. I guess this coin does not exsist with the Tone I desire. BTW if anyone has a line on one let me know. The darn thing is almost as bad as the 25D search that was in motion a year or so ago. Oh yea.....If they have a Warehouse for Coins I have got to go see this and take a casual strool through it. Sounds like Coin Heaven to me.

Anyway throw some of your thoughts out here and let us know what the heck you have been doing. Jeez we cannot let these 2 centers, Lincolns, Jefferson and Modern folks take over OUR Forum.

If I missed anyone on thier Set Updates just slap me around a little and go ahead and Flame me also.

Take Care and have a Lovely Week.....I willl I'm on Vacation....Sort Of. image

Ken

Comments

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

I am certain you are warehousing those nice NB coins for me until I can afford to take them off your hands. As for me, I just picked up a nicely toned (IMHO) 37-P in 68 on eBay. I will have more comments when I have the coin in hand.

I thought that I might have competition on this one as it ended up being the same price as some 39-Ps for sale here by JB. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, thanks for not driving up the price JB!!!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick

RP is you on Ebay ? That coin was on my Watch List also. Be sure to let us see it when you receive the coin. I was a little suspect of what the Tone really would look like. Cautious I guess. Maybe someday on the NB coins.....have to win the old Lotto first. Anyway you have most of these dates I have been getting. Sure glad you do not hoard these. image

Had another thought that was not in the original post. Man I sure miss not seeing a Python1 set in the Registry. Maybe I will send him a Nicely Toned Merc so a New Toned Set can be started. What do you think....will he go for this Toned Set idea ????????? Atleast a Set will be started......who cares if it is Rated # 10,000,000,000....atleast it is in the Registry !!!!!

Ken
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken,

While we are making this a generic Merc thread. Where are all the 1942-D NB MS68 Mercs? There are 12 listed in the population report and I have never seen one for sale. Has anyone else seen any of these? JB, when you read this I hope you respond as you are searching for NB coins in 68.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

• << <i>thanks for not driving up the price JB!!! >>

I already have one of those. I sure took a look at it.

BTW I have 4 1939's in ms68 no bands image

I am at #29 for now and will be moving up a little soon. I have a 40s in ms68 no bands in my sights.
  • I can say I have not seen any 42's for sale either. I do have a 45p in anacs ms68 coming soon. If I crack this one out and submit raw and it comes back a 68 it will be a pop 1 coin. image
  • Have been very busy with my volunteer activities, but still
    Try to find time to look for merc’s to add to my collection.
    I have been able to make the following progress:
    DATE ------- RANK --------- %COMPLETE
    05/23/03 ---- 33 ----------------- 40
    06/20/03 ---- 20 ----------------- 61
    07/26/03 ---- 17 ----------------- 71
    08/26/03 ---- 14 ----------------- 77

It looks like I have my work cut out for me if I expect to
    Locate the remaining 18 dates in grades I can afford! image

I have learned a lot from the contributors to this forum and
    Read it every chance I get. image

Thanks,

Richard T.
    Guardian
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Ken,

<< <i>Anyway throw some of your thoughts out here and let us know what the heck you have been doing. Jeez we cannot let these 2 centers, Lincolns, Jefferson and Modern folks take over OUR Forum. >>

I guess I have to let the cat out of the bag. A couple of months ago the "non-Merc collectors" from this forum held a meeting. We decided to pool our money and buy up all the available Mercs so no more sets could be added. image

I guess it's working. image
    Dan
    Dam

A Ploy to keep the Merc Folks off here. You Weasels you. image It will not work but a Nice Try anyway. image

Richard

Darn I missed your Set. Great Progress in a short time. Slap Me for the over sight. image

Ken
  • Well Ken,
    The only coin I bought lately was for my proof merc set. I bought a Pr67 1942 from Carl W. Otherwise I cant seem to find any
    coins I want to add to my short set. Dont tell anyone , I've been hanging out on the darkside forum. Shhhhh !

Walt image
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mercateers!

I have added several coins through the summer and have sneaked into the # 10 spot. Someone else has been sneaking up on me. Marc, turn your brights off and remember to give passing signals!

I have reached 90% completion and have received the authorization code to get my four free gradings. I'm combing my raw set for suitable candidates that will fill the remaining holes. Hope to get them sent off in the next couple of weeks.

Ken, I miss Python1's set also, but 5 of his dimes now live with me, so it's probably not as hard on me as it is on you. image

DAM, that's despicable! Probably running up the prices while you are at it also. If this is the case, I will probably slide into the obscure void of the second page.

Richard, good work, you been sneaking too! I know Richard is a real Mercateer because he has a shirt that says so.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Ken
    I have only been able to purchase one of your coins to add to my set,
    but I like your coins and look for your coins that are for sale. image

Thanks,
    Richard T.
    Guardian
    Hey Wayne

Who all received the shirts on the first go around ? I want to make sure that those 2 Centers are not counterfieting your product. image I know there is atleast one of those characters here in the North West. Such a shame. image

Ken
    Ken,

Official PCGS Mercateer shirts have been sent to: Tap444, Dimetime, Fairlaneman, Python1, Grip, remumc, PTVetter, DeepCoin, CarlWohlforth, and Guardian.

Honorary PCGS Mercateer shirts were sent to: Clankeye and BJ. These two were gifts from me.

I have a second order on the way which should be received by next week. These will go to: Marcmoish, JBSteven, Fcloud, Joshua II, and Sumo.

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

If anyone else wants one, PM me and I will tell you where you can get it made yourself.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only Merc I've added recently is the '19-S. I see that Wayne is hot on my heels, though, so unless I find something soon, I could slip into 10th place. Of course, I expect the courtesy of a passing signal from Wayne. image I also decided that since I was having difficulty finding Mercs, I'd register a set of her big sister (1933-47 Walkers). I have over half of the coins in that set, which I had acquired over the past 15 years, and figure I can complete the set in MS65 for around $15k (considerably less if I opt for some keys in MS64). That's not much more than a '16-D Merc in 64FB, and I feel that I'd get a lot more "bang for the buck" with the Walkers.

Fear not, guys. I'm not abandoning the Merc set, but it may grow more slowly than if it was my only focus.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
    Hey Folks

Want to see something Way....Way....Way Cool ? Go to my set and look at the owner comments. Cosmicdebris (Bill) did the Picture and explained how to get it entered into the set. This is as Great as adding a coin.

Ken
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Now that's neat!

I guess I'm going to have to start a Merc set. You guys have all the fun. Heck, no one else has T-shirts. Just the Merc boys and girls.

Here's to Mercs! image
    Dan
    Hi Ken,

I saw it earlier today as I was taking a peek at your set. It really is way way cool!!! I want one too!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it up to Ken to wake us up from a merc slumber huh image

I admit I've been bad. I moved up a couple of notches without any obvious hand signals - only some hints here and there - and now comfortably in right behind Wayneimage whom seems to be quite happy and accomodating to find me there indeedimageimage ........

I'll try to get a post up of what I'm up too hopefully tonite..........

Marc
    Ken, BTW that is indeed a cool trick - looks really nice too- I'm still trying tp perfect the photo end of all this.......it just doesne't register in my brain.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best I did reciently was to upgrade one dime. Just can't seem to find nice dime that I need at a fair price.

I do have a 1921 just sent in to PCGS if it grade AU I will fill one of the holes I haveimageimage
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• I appreciate the kind words...I am going to be back one day....in fact, at the last coin show, last weekend I met with Ed Hipps(buyer of my set), he still has most of them in the case, for sale, and Dang, I almost bought one of them back right there.....but due to the timing of a few things...I must refrain for the moment...I was thinking, Man those are some real killer coins he has!!!!!!
    I am sure, if I am careful in keeping up with the cert numbers, I could actually buy back all of the same coins, which is my intention (Wayne)...lolimage
    I am having a much better time now, just watching ya'll.....
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Hi Dennis,
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Nice to see you do some posting again.
    Keep in touch.

Walt image

Oh by the way I seen Ken did some posting on the darkside. Come on over, very interesting topics on that forum.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    dennis

you will have to pry the 18s from my fingers image

I almost bought a few more from him a few weeks ago but will probably buy some from him soon.
  • JB,
    yep..the 18s was a good one, but I am a little partial to all of them, they were all nice to me....
    at least I can keep track of them...image

Thanks for the lift everyone.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
    Dennis you should really consider just letting those Blast White coins go. I know this would be a very hard task to under take but shucks how can you not like this..........

Well maybe that was a little too much Tone. Maybe untill you get broke into Toned coins examples like this........

just might fill the bill.

Of course this is just a suggestion for a fellow Merc collector.image

Take Care and Please remember "Tone Rules"

Ken
  • I'll be the first to admit I'm not doing anything. Bought several coins for my various sets over the summer and now I'm going to analyze my sets to see whats next.
    Merc collector.
  • I am not doing anything now either, I guess I will
    sit back for about 6 months and wait to drop in the ranks
    as you other guys climb, but don't forget passing signals
    Timimage
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
    Tim it will take some very good luck, finding the coins, and a pretty thick wallet for anyone to blow by your Great Set. Yours and Al's are still my picks for being ranked #1 or #2 Alltime at some date in the Future. image It has been a real pleasure watching both of you putting the sets together.

Ken
    Hi Guys,

Tim, I'm with Ken. I can't see anyone passing you in only 6 months unless they win the lottery. I also know that you will not be dormant that long!

Al is building a really top notch set also. He is much more patient than I am. Just take a look at his set sometime!

I count Tim and Al as among my Merc mentors. Their advice has really impacted my direction in collecting, and I thank them both very much!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Not much going on here. I did manage to get my 1923-S NGC MS61, graded at PCGS MS63! That was exciting! Other than that, I have a group in for grading, but after getting my 1925 returned for cleaning??? I'm not too sure. I don't see why the coin was BB. I went off to a show a last weekend. Did't find a single Mercury Dime that I need. I did see a few circ coins, and a few common date uncs, but the ones I have left are tough.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

I just got the dimes I won @ Baltimore from B&M - looks like I may be moving again - I'll get to really work on them over the weekend, and perhaps I can post some of the pictures I meant to last week too. Working up on some tips (thanks Ken) and hopefully I'll get it right.

I know I have some admirable sets to get close to... - I hope I can hang on - its monster company indeedimage

Marc
    Hi Marc,

Uh oh! Looks like I'm in trouble, and probably Jim too!

It has been nice for the brief time I have been in the top ten. image

Quick, someone sell me a Merc I need so I can out run Marc for a little while longer!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

• Wayne

I should know next week if I can help you out with those double secret coins you saw recently at my office image
    Yeah JB!!!

I have rebuilt up my Merc mad money this week and am about ready for a buying spree!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

Wayne,

I was gentle - your still in the top 10 image

Marc