Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Some pics from a wonderful Lincoln collection

I had the pleasure of imaging some Lincolns from a top flight collection last week, called The Thomas Irwin Collection. It's not listed in the registry yet as the owner continues to work hard completing and upgrading it. The images center on his great run of 1930's & 40's coins to compliment the photos I took of many of Stewart Blay's earlier dates. But they also include the 1917 DDO in both 66 & 67RD, a variety I'd never seen before.

Among the other highlights:

By my count I photo'd 11 pop 1/0 coins 1955 or earlier, and 3 pop 2/0 coins. There were many other pop 1's in the Memorials.

A 1964 PR70 DCAM -- I only included my lousy image of this coin because of its significance.

The 3rd 1914-D 66RD -- combined with Stewart's two I've been lucky enough to see all 3 of these over the past 6 months.

A 1909-S VDB in 67RD that's as nice as these come.

A 1990 no S PR69 DCAM that's so thick with frost I actually got a decent photo of a Lincoln proof (he had a few other dazzling proofs I won't even post the images of).

Until I add them to my gallery site all the images can be found on this temporary link page. A few of my favorites:

Comments

• Options

Wow! It sure pays to be the copper imaging expert. You get to see all the great coins. Thanks for sharing them with us.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely stunningimage

Thanks to you and the owner for taking the time and effort to share them. It's a real commitment!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Nothing short of WOW!

Both the images and the coins are superb!
    Dan
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures are awsome,as the coins.Al
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Shy
    I hate both of you.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Excellant images as usual Paul.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Killer coins and pics. K
  • Options
    NICE!!! Thanks for sharing!! image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    shylock, thanks for the super pics. You should put together a virtual set of the best possible IHCs and Lincolns.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

You are the master picture taker of copper coins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! ...and that goes double for the '40 and the no-S.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely awesome collection!!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    It's easy to take decent pics when the models are as beautiful as these. On a tight schedule, I barely had time to enjoy this collection in person the way I would have liked to. After working with the images I'm even more impressed by the gorgeous planchets his 1930's & 40's Lincolns were struck on. Color like that is why I like copper.

A big "thank you" to the collection owner for inviting a stranger over for the day and making him feel at home. All 39 coins are now plated in my gallery, a nicer format to view them in.

Steve - I'm going to add a database of gem IH images to that site, so combined with this set & the Blay Lincolns a "virtual set" of Indian cents and Lincolns will be starting to take shape. That's something I'd really like to keep adding to, hopefully I'll get a shot at some other great collections down the road.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool gallery - you've been busy! Those Lincolns are amazing, as are the other collections.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Wow! I am very impresssed. Those Lincolns are beautiful.
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Boy, I think Stewart, Irwin, and Hernandon's collections combined have all the pop tops, maybe except for the 09-vdb ms68rd. Who has that?

By the way, how does the 1917 DDO ms67rd get that grade with that huge mark or something above Liberty? Guess what, I've seen the other ms67rd 1917 DDO in person before!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Haletj

I have been offered the 1909 VDB on at least three seperate occasions and passed every time.The owner of the Tomas Irwin collection also passed on the coin.Just because it says ms 68 red on the holder does not mean the coin is properly graded.IMO the 1909 VDB in ms 68 red is closer to a 66.
    I also believe the 1917 DDO is overpriced and has been so for a long time due to the fact that it is not as rare in gem and superb gem as previously thought.It is a pop of two in 67 red,four in 66 red as well as four in 65 red.There is at least two examples in the Thomas Irwin collection and possibly more that weren't photographed.

Stewart
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: 1909vdb - Funny - a world class grader we both know and greatly respect just asked me to try to obtain the 09vdb from its current owner for a customer at a world record price (which the owner just passed on).

Stewart: Interesting how easily you can "bad mouth" someone else's coin but, make a big speech last week concerning Sunnywood doing the very same thing to your 1880 Shield nickel? Play fair Stewart image

Wondercoin

Haletj: Don't forget the greatest gem Lincoln of all - the one and only 1926(s), which I just assisted TM in placing privately to David Schweitz - a world class grader, who thought the coin was a wonderful gem.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Boys and girls...........its wondercoin........numismatic genius

I find it ironic how you tell me to pee on someone elses parade and you seem to follow me.

Have you told Sunnywood how he wound up in the position he did during the ANA? Yes play fair Mitch !!!

Stewart
  • Options
    Mitch - Can you tell us anymore about the 26-S that was placed? Can you give us an idea of the $$ that changed hands?? Can you tell us who the buyer or the seller was? Just wondering........since it (26-S) is the WONDERCOIN amongst us Lincoln collectors. Thanks, Marc (Kyle Patrick Collection)
    Marc
  • Options
    Stewart - No biggie. I just got a bit carried away trying to protect the helpless 09vdb coin. Its owner reads these boards.

Re Sunnywood: Unfortunately, I never even saw Douglas in Baltimore - not even for a minute, nor even spoke with him while he was there. I am sorry I missed him though.

Re: 1926(s) - there is nothing I can add. As usual, the new owner has the freedom and power to discuss purchase price, etc.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch,
    Is there even a picture of the 26-S that we could see?
  • Options
    JTK: At this point, I do not believe so. But, I believe that might happen at a future date. The coin is very special.

Wondercoin

PS - By all accounts, the Lincoln Collection covered in this thread is mega-world class. I sold a couple of the coins pictured to the owner - the one I am most proud of being the 31(d) in PCGS-MS67RD (still pop 1). What separates this collection from perhaps all other Lincoln Cent collections is the Memorial Cent holdings. Many years ago, this collector had the vision that the early Memorials would be very tough coins in high grade and he was so right image

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Duh, of course the 26-s! Yes it would be nice to see a picture. I bet Stewart and Irwin have quite nice ones too! No pictures of them though in Shylock's Gallery.