Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POP REPORT ON MATTE PROOF LINCOLN CENTS

I just received the new August ANACS population report. The last one I got was dated June, 2000. Since I treasure my nine Matte Proof Lincolns, I decided to do an analysis of the populations as reported by PCGS, NGC and ANACS during the past three years. I have the hard copy July, 2000 PCGS Population report and the July, 2000 NGC Census report for comparison. The US Mint produced a total of 15,314 Matte Proof Lincolns from 1909 thru 1916. They produced a total of 420 of the 1909VDB matte proof Lincolns in 1909.

My analysis of the pop reports very much supports how difficult these coins are for the average collector to get. Here are the numbers:

August 2003........June/July 2000.......Change

PCGS
Total Matte .....2084, .........1781,............303
Total VDB ........84, ......... 81,............3
NGC
Total Matte......1138,..........967,............171
Total VDB........41,...........39,..............2
ANACS
Total Matte........764,............631,.............133
Total VDB........23,............18,................5

Grand Totals
Total Matte.........3986,.............3379,.................607
Total VDB.........148,.............138,................10

If you collect Lincoln proofs, and particularly if you own one or more of the Lincoln Matte Proof cents you can be assured you have a very scarce coin. The current prices don't currently reflect this difficulty. If you are currently in the Lincoln Proof Registry but not in the Matte Proof section, I encourage you to "go for it". I think you will find it challenging AND rewarding. Steve image

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, thanks for posting the info. I will tell you that I know of one PCGS 1909 VDB in 64red that is really not a VDB. It says it on the holder and comes up on the cert number lookup as a VDB, but there is no VDB on the coin. To my knowledge, the coin has not been sent back in for correction.

No telling how many of those listed have been cracked and resubmitted, and I'll bet there are not too many out there that are still raw that could actually get in a holder.
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Doug, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure that 10% to 20% of the population numbers are duplicates caused by resubmission. I KNOW that one of the ANACS 1909VDB Matte Proof coins is a duplicate because it is now in a PCGS holder. (my coin) I really should send the label back to ANACS so they would (supposedly)reduce their pop number, but I just keep the label for my record. I know you are really proud of your super matte proof set. Steve
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, it's my favorite set, and the last I would part with -- except for upgrades of course!
    Doug
  • Options
    Hey thanks Steve for the VERY interesting information....

Judging by how few matte proof cents have been made during the last three years, can there really be a lot of raw coins left that can be holdered? I don't think so. And presumably a lot of the crackout activity is behind us too, unless grading standards change. Heck I know I'm responsible for at least a half-dozen duplicates along the way -- ANACS to PCGS, and PCGS upgrades. And don't forget, authentication is an issue with matte proof cents, so many of these cents have been holdered by now to assure their buyers they are actually matte proofs, irrespective of grading considerations.

Hopefully the scarcity of matte proof cents will support even higher prices as we move closer to 2009.......

My two matte proof cent sets are not only my favorite registry sets, they are my ONLY registry sets. As you can see I just upgraded a couple coins, and I have a 1910 upgrade to Liston Two on the way. It's becoming almost impossible to upgrade either set with coins that match the set.

FYI if it matters at all I have some VERY old ANACS and PCGS pop reports at home, maybe ten years old.....
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Tim, thanks for commenting. You sure have two of the finest toned Matte Proof sets around. Regarding the 1909VDB and its 3 key diagnostics, I'm sure that in reality you can probably count on two hands the number of raw genuine coins out there. My guess is that everyone who has one of these either wants to keep it in their collection or will sell it ONLY for mega dollars of profit. Good luck on your upgrade efforts with Liston One and Liston Two. Steveimage