Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Should a 9 be this hard to look at?

I know this topic has been brought up in the past Guacmole? & Flawed Logic, but this is a HOF RC with a pop of 24 already. I have focused my collecting to the point where I am only after a few cards but this is one I need.

How can a card so hard on the eyes receive a 9. image
In my opinion, a mint cards should be close to pefect. Littledevildog auctions alot of nice cards but this isn't.
The last 2 Fisk PSA 9 RC's ended at $112.51 & $128.50. Maybe it will catch a bid at $99.99 but not by me

Take a look image
OUCH

Oh yeah the centering is off to probably should have been a 10!
collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs

Comments

• BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I thought this was his RC????

Anyway, a little bit too much guacmole on the 75 for a 9, IMHO.
  • Bob,

You are correct. 1972 is Carlton Fisk's RC.
  • Not sure how that received a 9- the centering's clearly off to the naked eye, the spotting is obvious etc. If I were looking for that card, I'd pass...If I'm paying $100+ for a 9, I want 9 quality...and that isn't it in my view.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I was considering bidding on that card, but not in that condition. I didn't bid on this one either . . .

1975 TOPPS #620 GARY CARTER RC PSA 9 MT 50/50
  • Another Jose Feliciano/Ray Charles slabbed beauty by our friends at PSA (Practice Seeing Already). I wouldn't want that card in my collection if I was doing strict 7s.

It looks like PRO is the minor league for PSA. Must do their recruiting over at that shop. Luckily, they only bring in the best.

These type of misgrades make me feel like I've been punched in the fireballs,

Satan
  • pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>I was considering bidding on that card, but not in that condition. I didn't bid on this one either . . .

1975 TOPPS #620 GARY CARTER RC PSA 9 MT 50/50 >>

cmon that's the famous bullet hole version.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.

• << <i>

<< <i>I was considering bidding on that card, but not in that condition. I didn't bid on this one either . . .

1975 TOPPS #620 GARY CARTER RC PSA 9 MT 50/50 >>

cmon that's the famous bullet hole version. >>

The ugliest thing about that card is not the bullethole, though that is bad, but the yellow and purple/pink?? coloring that Topps put on it.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Dave -

I passed on that Carter RC for the same reason - I don't want a spotted 9 any more than the next guy. This one went for a little less than half of the last Carter RC that was up a week or so ago (I was second bid at $451).

Guess you and I will be going after the next nice one that comes down the pike! image

Steve
  • KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    8 PD at best............

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • What about this card.............
    Cepeda.........

Three fish eyes on the front, back centering almost miscut.....I must admit I don't know much about this issue, but I sure wouldn't want this nine in my set........
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Alright, since we're bagging on 1975 Topps. how about this hideous example currently on eBay?

• Varghie,

That's a PSA 10 WIWAG. There are other new qualifications the rest of you should know:

PSA MJ - Grader smoked pot to get through the long day ahead. All cards look pretty good when high.
    PSA 9 ON - Orlando's nephew. As long as it doesn't go through the washing machine, it's a 9.
    PSA 9 - This is a PSA 6 done by a dyslexic person.
    PSA 6 - This is a PSA 9 done by the same guy.
    PSA 5 FU - This is a beautiful raw card submitted by a small collector. It tells us little guys not to ruin the bell curve and be a pain in the ass.
    PSA 0 - Priced as a PSA 4 when buying from Bleam
    PSA 4 + - Means your card sucks and your wife is pregnant.
    Evidence of Trimming - Possible booger the grader refuses to touch
    PSA 17 - Somebody didn't get a raise and they're not very happy about it.
    GPA 2.3 - What I graduated high school with
    PSGBCAI 8.478 - In five years once Baker and SGC have folded into PSA
    PSA PI - A polite way of saying your card is a 3.14 rounded to PSA 3
    PSA OJ - Blood and hair sample on the card
    PSA 666 - How all my cards are returned by my graders
    SPA 8 - Good for tanning if you have olive skin tone

Any other new grades I don't know about? Let's have fun because life is just sucky.

Satan

• Judging from these I'm getting my 75's ready for submission ASAP!image
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • PSA 9 WGKWH (pronounced 9-wig-kee-wah): Slang in the grading room for "9-we've gotta keep Walt Happy".

What's interesting is, slowly, over time, Walt is submitting more and more crap. I realize the 5000 cts. are getting thin, but he wouldn't even bother submitting those cards to SGC. When he started with PSA it was "10-fest" for him on the same stuff he was getting 92's on...just ask him. Now he's like, "Well, that mustard stain isn't that bad and, sure, someone wrote out a grocery list on the back, but they LOVE me at PSA...they REALLY LOVE ME!!!"...

dgf
  • purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    That's the first diamond cut 10 I've ever seen.
  • PurelyPSA,

There are three diamond-cut '77 10's...brutal sometimes ain't it. When I questioned it, I was given the typical technical acumen..." We measure from the worst point and if it falls within the standard you can get the grade." Oke-dok-ee...

dgf
  • PSAtan,

LOL. How about PSA 69 Grade for any Wilt Chamberlain card.
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • PSatan- That was the funniest post I've read in a long time. The sad part is I think I've received some of those grades.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion