Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 Topps PSA 8 record

Well this is the highest price for a PSA 8 I have ever seen in the 61 set, with the exception of a rare very high end Mantle card. With shipping, it is over $1000. The pop for this one is 32! I sold one about 6 months ago from my web site for $140!!

Two people wanted it real bad.

1961 Pirates Team
Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Whoops! Sorry about the blank post. Got so excited, I hit return too soon.

Looks like somebody played a pup, as we used to say around the poker table. The #2 guy must be RELIEVED he didn't win at that price!
  • Options
    I don't think so Toppsgun. I believe he would be happy to have it, although I expect he was hoping to win it for under $300. He regularly pays astronomical prices for cards he doesn't have. It is just this time, someone else wanted it more. Perhaps I will offer him the card from my set to see how serious he is.

• Options
    This one didn't do badly either! SMR is $22, and there were 4 bidders over $400!

Ralph Houk

• Options
    You think the high bidder is smiling now, I think it's pretty funnyimage

---------------------------------------

Buying 1956, 57, 58 and 1962 FB PSA 7-9
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    ouch
    i sold a pirate team too...
    about 9 months ago.
    couldnt have been for more than yours Rob.
    maybe i should get those 400 ungraded
    8s and 9s graded...
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Buck,

I almost fell over on the Pirates card. He won the 60 Pirates team card for $30.00. Quite the differenceimage

Glad to see a good guy get the Houk!

Howdee, Mr. Toppsgun...I haven't talked with you in quite some time.

72leadfoot, I think either one of the top 2 bidders would have been and is happy. The winner has done this in the past. Like Buck said the #2 bidder is always over the top, bigtime. Primeimage

PC, yes you should, and call me when they get posted. Rob's telephone has been disconnected. I'll let him know what you get for grades.

mx'er

Isn't vcw5 one and the same with a certain other '61 collector we both know? You know, #5 on the "R" is the alter ego of one of the giants of the hobby?

Also, what happened to your '63 quest, as therapy? There are probably a handful of cards from that set I may never get in 8. Tho' I picked up a toughie last night.

TG
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Mike,

I am fairly sure that VWC = Buckwheat.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Wow!

That Pirates team is not that well centered and appears to have some discoloration along the right border, unless the scan is bad.
    The Houk is even more unremarkable. Bad centering, a diamond cut and the ususal bubbles in the banner that for some reason rarely and arbitrarily get the PD qualifier.
    I'm sorry, but that Houk is a case of someone buying the holder-- assuming the corners are razor, it's still a weak 8 IMHO. I'm definitely re-examining my Houks for submission!

Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    TG,
    my 63 set is sitting in limbo. That's next to "how hard is this set to complete"!
    I don't think I have anything you can use, but if I do LMK. I'm talking with Greg B. at legacy about my 54's and 63's.
    My 70 set is going up on ebay in the next few weeks.

TG, your detective work on the Houk card was very good.

Hi, Alan!!

curmudgeon, The Pirates card was one of those wierd anomalys that happen once in awhile.

The Houk card is for real. Of the 9 graded 8, all are with printer defects(bubbles), the centering is poor, the reverse is bad. I personally don't think a 9 will ever show. Of the 5 or 6 I've scrutinized over the last 3+ years, all are very similer. The 3 or 4 that were graded years ago are probably worse. Definitely dig deep in your raw cards. While there, look for #'s 119, 126, 128, 137, 306, 310, 523, 559. Get all 8's and make a good profit, get 9's and you can take a nice vacation to Aruba for the entire winter, no joke!imageimage

mx'er

No question that I bought the holder on the Houk card. It is the first one to ever finally go off on Ebay ever. A couple have been listed, and bought before the auction closed. Like the one that Motocrosser has! I now have 2 more cards to get in PSA 8.

Buck (vwc5)