Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Your Most Memorable Sporting Event Ever Attended

This is my first thread posted ! I hope I'm not repeating something already discussed , but if I am , maybe this will give some of us new people to relate our most memorable sporting event that we've ever attended in person ! I'll bet in most cases , that one memorable sporting event probably helped determine what card sets and players we pursue in the Set Registry ! In 1963 , my Dad completed his 25th year of working for Montgomery Wards Service Dept. as the Manager ( If my Dad were alive today , I'm sure he would be sad to learn that Wards is no longer around ) , and the people at the store held a anniversary party for him ! He recieved 25 silver dollars and 4 tickets to attend Stan 'The Man' Musial's last game ! Musial was my boyhood idol ! Sept. 29, 1963 - Stan and the Cardinal's were Playing the Cincinnati Red's at the old Sportsmans Park - Pete Rose was leading off for the Reds that day ! Stan was batting 3rd and only had a .251 batting avg. that last season ! If memory serves me right , Stan singled in the 6th inning and they pinch ran for him so he could end that last at bat with a hit ! What a day ! Still have the original scorecard and several large color photos of Stan passed out that Day ! The biggest sport highlight that I've ever attended ! Robby
Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
1963 Fleer
Lou Brock Master Set

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Funny to mention that game, as my most memorable was 8/10/81. Pete passed Musial's NL hit record that night and I also received some photos - one of which both Pete and Stan signed later on. I have it framed with the stub. Eric Gregg who was the ump working first base that night now works at the Vet as a bartender and two years ago signed my ticket stub for that nights game. I looked at the auto after and realized that the game was 8/10/2001 - twenty years later.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    CAL breaks the record!!!!!!
  • Options
    MintstateMintstate Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Yaz's last game at Fenway....
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    1980 Winter Olympics Alpine Skiing Events
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    1999 All Star festivities & game at Fenway. I still look at the photos I took with my dad and shed tears. What a powerful, memorable couple of days. First McGwire goes nuts in HR Derby. Next night pregame tribute to Ted was just unreal. Also had All-Century team there on the field. Finally, Pedro whiffs 5 of 6.

E
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    1992 Game 5 of best of 5 series Suns vs. Lakers. Suns lost first two games and coach Paul Westphal said that they would go to LA, win two game and come home to win series. The Suns won in overtime. This was on Mother's Day. Four tickets to the game was my present to my wife and mother of two. This was a game that the whole family will remember well. This is also the loudest sporting event that I have been to.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    For me, it's the 2000 United States Grand Prix. Formula One had been absent from the United States for 9 years. To see it come back with a truly international crowd of over 200,000 made the USGP for me The Greatest Spectacle In Racing.

The only downside was that Ayrton Senna was unable to make it. Oh how I would have loved to see him drive in person.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    It would be hard to pick just one. I've been to three Super Bowls, many major college bowl games, one World Series, one Stanley Cup finals, three Winter Olympics, four Summer Olympics, World Cup soccer, Wimbledon and French Open tennis, an NCAA basketball championship, an NBA final... I've been very fortunate.

Skycap
  • Options
    the 2001 holiday bowl where UT came back and won 47-43. probably my favorite sports game period.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Gotta go with the "ball through Buckner's legs" in the 86 series.

As a Met fan, I don't have too many of those memories to cling to!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Game 1, 1988 World Series at Dodger stadium.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    1985 Super Bowl XIX SF vs Miami and 1993 Super Bowl XXVII Dallas vs Buffalo as well as the AFC Championship games between Buffalo and LA Raiders, Buffalo and Denver and Buffalo and KC.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    My most memorable sporting event was December 2?, 2001 at Cincinnati. Bengals vs Steelers and what made the day so memorable besides the Steelers blowing a 20 point lead to loose the game but it was 11 degrees at game time with 30mph winds! I froze my a$$ off!image

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Lions winning a freakin playoff game in the early 90's - only one in like 300 years.

Yzerman scoring his 50th goal against Buffalo, then running into the goal post later in the game and tearing up his knee.

Yzerman scoring his 500th goal.

Jerry
  • Options
    The 1998 Daytona 500 - Dale's victory. Even the people that hated him cheered that day. I will get that ticket stub slabbed if PSA ever gets the program going.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I second Skinsfan, the night Cal broke the record and then hit a homer, that was something, and I'm a Yankee fan.
  • Options
    September 24,1973 - Willie Mays Night at Shea Stadium absoloutely priceless 9 years old and on the elevator ride up to the Diamond Club... Goit to meet Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy what a thrill!!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess mine would be Barry Bonds' 600 HR. The place went nuts!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I would have to say:

1. SuperBowl XXX (Pittsburgh vs. Dallas)
    2.) 1996 AFC Championship Game vs. Indy (Steelers Win)
    3.) Last Steelers Game at 3 Rivers Stadium
    4.) 1995, 1997, 1998 AL Championshp Games (Indians)
    5.) 1995,1998, 2002 AFC Championship Games (Steelers Lose)
    6.) First Game at Jacobs Field (Cleveland Indians)

edited.....Sorry Wolfbear for showering you with beer....no hard feelings. image

John
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I've been to World Series & playoffs, Super Bowls, NHL AS game and MLB AS games. Seen Mantle, Clemente, Reggie, Munson, Ripken etc.. play. But the quickest thing that stood out of all the games I attended was a decade ago at the MLB AS game in Camden Yards where Randy Johnson as a Mariner did his comedy routine w/ his partner John Kruk of the Phillies, they made the game fun and indeed memorable...jay
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

January 15, 1995 at Three Rivers - as the 4th quarter clock ticks down to mere seconds,
    Neil O'Donnell's forth down pass is batted away by the Charger's Dennis Gibson to seal the Steeler's doom,
    as we Bolt fans joyously rush for the turnstiles amid a shower of obsenites and beer.
    Ahhhh ... football.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i forget dates but...
    bottom of the 9th.i'm seven years old.
    mantle hits one into the black over 463
    feet.i cried.

other events of memorable note,
    murcer hits 4 home runs in a double header.
    fosse gets a cherry bomb in the back of his foot
    from someone in the 3rd deck behind home plate.
    colavito pitches the 8th/9th?...and becomes the last
    position player to get a win.steve hamilton throws folly
    floaters and guys K and crawl back to their dugouts.
    69 knicks championship @ the garden who remembers
    which game...all wrestling matches @ MSG with Bruno
    Sammartino and later Pedro Morales...20,000 people going
    crazy and waving country flags!...sitting in the bullpen during
    yankee games with sam mcdowell whitey ford and more smoke
    and beer than any bar ever had....dream team 1992 barcelona
    with drazen scoring 12 points in 45 seconds vs USA and Sir Charles
    taking charge and making EVERYONE forget Michael Jordan....
    between the mid 70s and the 92 Olympics i there seems to be a void
    or a loss of "short term memmory"...heheh...
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    December 1980, I was a freshman in High school
    and our local team was a ragtag bunch of little
    nobodies who went all the way to the state finals
    and won over the heavy favorite (4 time champs)
    with a last second field goal!
    I lost my mine along with about 20 thousand others!
    (6A level finals - played at local college stadium)

really. It was the biggest, most exciting game in my life,
    especially at the time!
    imageimage
  • Options
    My first big league game I attended with my dad and brother at Washington's RFK stadium in 1970. Saw the Senators and Twins play. Missing a Frank Robinson homer in Baltimore in 1971 because I had to go to the bathroom. My first Big Red MAchine game on June 2, 1974 in Cincinnati against Pittsburgh. Seeing the Reds fall behind 10-1 to the Cubs in Wrigley in 1976 only for them to come back and win 13-10!

On a personal note, I played on a semi pro team in 1984 when we got to play an exhibition game against the '84 Olympic baseball team. I played third base that night against Mark McGwire, Barry Larkin, Will Clark, BJ Surhoff, Chris Gwynn, and many others that played in the bigs plus I got 2 hits (single and a double) but we got beat 6-0. My other biggest personal thrill was hitting homers from both sides of the plate against Ole Miss in 1985. I played for Univ Of Memphis.

David
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    1. NCAA Hockey Final - 4/6/02 Minnesota Gophers 4 Maine Black Bears 3 OT
    1. MLB - 10-26-1991 - Game Six - Minnesota Twins 4 Atlanta Braves 3
    1. MLB - 10-27-1991 - Game Seven - Minnesota Twins 1 Atlanta Braves 0
    4. MLB - 10-25-1987 - Game Seven - Minnesota Twins 4 St. Louis Cardinals 2
    5. MLB - 10-24-1987 - Game Six - Minnesota Twins 11 St. Louis Cardinals 5
    6. NCAA Hockey Semi - 4/4/02 Minnesota Gophers 3 Michigan Wolverines 2

Many Gophers Hockey, Minnesota High School Hockey, and Twins games, then

17. Super Bowl 1992 - Washington 37 Buffalo 24
    18. NCAA Final Four 1992 - Hoops, didn't really pay attention.

Worked the events in the early nineties as a hot dog vendor. Great money and great games.

• Options
    In chronological order:

1. 1972 NL Playoffs - Moose wild pitches Foster home - Red win the pennant!!!
    2. Game 6 1986 WS - I was sitting 4 rows behind 1st base and saw the ball go 'tween Billy B's knobbly legs.
    3. 2131 - Got to the ballpark at 5pm and left at 1am - sat 5 rows up from Cal's HR spot.
    4. WVU 17 - Miam FL 14 - Nov. 1993 - Hey, us success starved hillbillys gotta have something to remember!!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    yo PC
    here ya go.
    Now don't start crying on us image
  • Options
    thanks for the pic you should have been there.
    nice to see a card that recalls that day.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    In no particular order:
    Roger's last game at Fenway
    Pedro's first game at Fenway
    Hollyfield vs Moorer heavyweight title fight - quite a spectacle
    Villanova Vs Princeton in the first round of the NCAA's
    Tribute to Larry Bird night at Boston Garden
    First time watching Bobby Orr and the Bruins in Buffalo
  • Options
    1. Catching a Carl Yastrzemski foul ball down the first base side at Cleveland Stadium.

2. I attended Nickel Beer Night (actually they cost a dime) at Cleveland Stadium and Cleveland ended up forfeiting to Texas cause people kept running on the field.

3. My son's little league game. 3 and 2 count - two on - last inning. My son hit one between shortstop and third base and it scored the winning run. Had the ball signed by all and put it in a container which still sits on his shelf.

4. Having a picture of my son and Mel Harder of the Indians showing my son how to throw a slider.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    Game 2 1999 World Series where they also announced the MasterCard All-Century Team. Was a very emotional pre-game ceremony.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    hopefully it will be today when pedro no hits the mariners and manny hits 4 homers. go sox!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game 1 of the 1995 ALDS at Yankee stadium. It was the Yankees first playoff game in 14 years, more importantly it was Don Mattingly's first playoff game. About 30-45 minutes before game time the place was already about 2/3 full. Mattingly came out of the dugout to do some sprints in the outfield and the place went nuts. For over 5 minutes people cheered and chanted Donnie, Donnie, Donnie! It was really amazing. The Yanks went on the win the game, but we all know what happened in the series. It was definitely the most "electric" atmosphere I've ever experienced at a ball game.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    While getting to see Games 1 & 2 of the '88 World Series was fantastic, I think even better was getting to see the 1968 All-Star Game with my father has the best memories. We were on our way back to Louisiana from a road trip family vacation (from Hell) to the Grand Canyon. My father timed it so we would stop in Houston for the game as a surprise.

While the game was a pitcher's duel, what I remember most was getting to the Astrodome early and getting my program autographed by what seemed to be an entire Hall of Fame lineup. It was so much more casual and fan-friendly for a twelve-year-old then, without the middle-aged dealers with duffle bags of stuff to get signed.

Check out this incredible line-up and you'll see what I mean.

1968 All-Star Game
    Always looking for PSA 9 or 10 Pete Maravich cards!

#1 Pete Maravich Master Set AGAIN!

The Ultimate Pete Maravich Card Collection
  • Options
    As a broker I've been fortunate to have attended many memorable games. Everything from Rangers winning the Cup, to D. Wells and D. Cone perfect games, Clemens 300th win, World Cup Soccer, Knick playoffs etc. The most memorable was the 96 World Series Yankees Game 6. In short, I was supposed to get tickets for me and my son and got screwed out of the tickets. I mentioned it to my boss and he asked me how many games did I think the Series would go. I said "Yankees win in 6". He said "If there's a game 6, you're going"
    Well, Yankees drop first 2 games at the Stadium, but sweep Braves in Atlanta for 3 games. Game 6 can now be the clincher. That Friday I don't mention anything to my boss. In the afternoon he walks over and gives me 2 primo tickets to Game 6. He took his son and I took my than 6 year old son to the game.
    The best part is that during the game MLB Baseball comes up to me and my son (we were both dressed alike in matching Yankee pinstripe Jerseys). They tell us to act natural and watch the game. They were looking for footage for the World Series video. Well this is the time in the game were J. Girardi hits a triple over the CF's head and drives in the first runs for the game. Without thinking I start yelling out play-by play (Go to third!) and high fiving my son and the other fans.
    A few weeks later the World Series video comes out and me and my son were on the video for 15-20 seconds. The funny part is my boss went to get sodas for the kids at the time and missed being on the video.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Nice Topic!!!

I have a slightly different twist however.

My most memorable Sporting event was my first Card Show.

The show was held in Strongville Ohio, some 70 miles from where I lived, and as a 14 year old it seemed like we were driving cross country.

I still remember walking in the room...WOW...cards everywhere!!! Back then I have my cards in a photo album. You know the ones, where you peel back the cover and place you photo onto a sticky surface. Dealers kind of chuckled when I offered some of my "sticky" cards up for trade. There was this one dealer who showed me how to store my cards and explained how to keep my cards in good condition.

The first card that I every bought from a dealer was a Jim Kaat 1962 Rookie Card (paid $0.25). I'm not really sure why I chose that card, except it was an old card of someone that I knew.

Fond memories.

Carlos

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>Funny to mention that game, as my most memorable was 8/10/81. Pete passed Musial's NL hit record that night >>

Funny that you mention that game, I was there too.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Mine would have to be Darryl Kile's no-hitter in the Astrodome against the Mets in 1992. I still have one used ticket stub and two unused tickets. I'll have to send them to PSA one of the these days to get them graded.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Wow, you guys all have me beat with all these great games. The most memorable one for me was a game in Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, where Steve Crawford beaned Brady Anderson, who charged the mound and summarily whupped Crawford's butt. People were duking it out everywhere.

I guess the only one of any significance whatsoever nationally was a game in 1994 where Nebraska lost to Iowa State in football, which was ranked as the #1 upset of the decade in college fooball by Sports Illustrated.
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Posts: 107 ✭✭
    1989 World Series, Game 4.

Thanks
    Dan
    SF Giants from the 60's & 70's in PSA6-9. dwdominguez@hotmail.com

"Just when they think they got all the answers, I change the questions."
    -- Roddy Piper
  • Options
    1987 WS Twins Cards gm 1

and

Dec 4th 1977. Its my 9th B-day and I go with my Dad to see the Vikings play the 49ers. Its 24-0 going into the fourth quarter. My Dad and I are freezing as its about 5 degrees so we decide to leave early. We are in the parking lot listening to the game on the radio. They bench Fran Tarkenton in favor of rookie Tommy Kramer. Kramer throws 4 TD passes and the Vikes win 28-27.

I'll never leave a game early again.
  • Options
    just occured to me i was at the dodger game
    where tatis hit 2 grand slams in one inning but
    he's been such a disappointment that it doesnt
    seem to matter though memorable....
  • Options

<< <i>...The first card that I every bought from a dealer was a Jim Kaat 1962 Rookie Card (paid $0.25). I'm not really sure why I chose that card, except it was an old card of someone that I knew.

Fond memories.

Carlos >>

Carlos,

Sorry to disappoint you, but whatever dealer sold you a '62 Kaat as his rookie card, took you for a ride. image

Here's my earlier version of the Jim Kaat Rookie (1960 in case anyone is interested)

As far as my most memorable sporting events, I would have to say any of the games I went to at Three Rivers Stadium in the summer of 1979. I didn't get to go to any playoff or World Series games that year, but just the thrill of seeing my Pirates in a World Championship season is something that I will treasure forever.

"We are Family"

JEB.
  • Options
    The current X games in Los Angeles, dude. It's rad and gnarly. Downhill luge was thunderous. The half-pipe was a pipe dream. Nothing will ever compare. - Derek Goldstein 24, Junior College Dropout still living with his parents

I really love the kids out there today!

Satan
  • Options
    Dude,

I was at that game as well. Kile's no-hitter was the first and only one that I have ever seen.

David
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    bballjunkie -- That was an awesome game!

Another game that stands out in my mind was the last game in the Astrodome for the Houston Oilers. At the time, the owner, Bud Adams already committed moving the Oilers to Tennessee, so no one was going to the games. As a result, a friend of mine knew some corporate executive that had a luxury suite on the 45 yard line with a pre-paid buffet and bar, but no longer had any interest in going to the games. As a result, 8 of us got to use it for free. We had a fantastic time! There was Bar BQ, shrimp, a huge deli spread and more other types of food and drink than we could ever try to consume. The game was against the Bengals and was pretty uneventful until the next to last play of the game when one of the officials started projectile vomiting in the middle of the field. I'll never forget as we looked down at the field watching that happen, with the Dome almost completely empty and then someone commented that it really seemed like the ultimate symbolic gesture on behalf of the Houston fans regarding how they felt about Bud Adams. It was truly priceless!
  • Options
    The Greatest Comeback in NFL history(Buffalo and Houston),and I was there for the whole game!Also,the AFC Championship game between Buffalo and KC.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Jeb,

Your right...Sorry for the typo...I meant to say 1960.

Carlos
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1993 Holiday Bowl (Raymont Harris runs wild, Ohio St. holds off BYU on 1st and goal from the 6 to win 28-21)
    1990 UCLA-USC game (with each team scoring several times in the last few minutes, a last-minute TD pass from Todd Marinovich to Johnnie Morton gives USC a 45-42 win)
    1992 UCLA-USC game (UCLA wins 38-37 when a USC 2-point conversion attempt pass is knocked down in the final seconds)
    Sept. 1983 Dodgers-Braves game (in L.A.) (Dodgers come back from 6-3 deficit in 9th inning to win on squeeze bunt by R.J. Reynolds)
    Sept. 1983 Dodgers-Braves game (in L.A.) (Dale Murphy wins game in 17th inning with HR and becomes the only visiting player I've ever seen get a standing ovation for a game-winning HR)
    April 1986 (I think) Dodgers-Padres game (in L.A.) (1-0 game which Tony Gwynn wins 1-0 with a 9th inning HR off Valenzuela)
    June 1983 (I think) Dodgers-Astros game (in L.A.) (Nolan Ryan pitching - my seat was near the Astros bullpen, so I was about 15 feet from the bullpen catcher during his warmup)
    Game 2, 1983 NLCS
    Feb. 1988 (I think) Kings-Red Wings game (in L.A.) (my first NHL game, and still the wildest game I've seen in person or on TV - first period stopped and remaining time added to 2nd period due to brawling, Wings goalie Glen Hanlon given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for slapshotting a piece of octopus/squid at the referee)

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    2000 Ironman California. My first and most intimidating.

2003 Tour de France
    -------------------------

Still need Jabloski, Fox, and Ennis 54 Wilson Franks
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable