Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Went to the Coin Shop Wednesday!!! And Lookie What Happened To Me!!!

Went to sell some PCGS Lincoln Cents. Handed the eight to two of the guys there and here is what happened. One grabs a buy agreement and writes down the dates. The second get a greysheet and starts telling the other what to write down.
1. 1935 MS65RD $4.00 - Actually a MS66 which I begin to protest Immediatly!!
2. 3 - 1950 MS65RD $8.00 each
3. 1995 DDO MS66RD $30.00

This is when I break it off. Grab my coins and out them back into the box.
I bought a Lincoln Cent book and ten Cent rolls. Thanked them.
The second guy (the writer) ask me if I wanted to keep the quote he wrote up. I politely told him no.
Now, I wish I had. There were two more coins, a 1934D MS65RD, and a 1946D MS66RD. The first guy tried to 10% me on them also!!
I guess I'm gonna have a surprise YN giveaway next week!! image

Comments

• Options
    you go boy......See...we all give the finger in our own little way.
  • Options
    How about a giveaway for the old folks here?....Ken...image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did "double nuclear" go?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I disagree with Cassius. imageimage
  • Options
    Hey KlectorKid, stay out of this, unless you want to see what Cassius was good at.......Ken... image
  • Options
    Come on, You guys can afford to buy your own. That is if The Boss says it's okay!! image
  • Options
    If you sell coins at the Numbnuts Exchange in Louisville,KY bring plenty of Vaseline!! image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Some people live by the greysheet to buy and get the shaft to sell. Greysheets are not a true report of the Lincoln market.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be uncomfortable offering anybody less than ten bucks for just about anything in a PCGS slab, unless it were a very generic modern coin or a piece of junk. Offering somebody less than the price it cost them to slab the coin is kind of insulting. If you ain't willing to pay that as a bare minimum, you should just pass. (Unless you're offering to buy huge quantities).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Was either of the two guys named Bob?
  • Options
    I'm not sure of their names but $4.00 for a 1935 MS66RD!!! I wish they sold coins like this. I'd be heading down there to get a 1909S VDB MS65RD for $400.00!!! imageimage
  • Options
    Now I'm looking for a new Dealer in the Louisville,KY area!! FC57 has already given me insight into a no nonsense place!!
    Thanks Frankie!! image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    If you sell coins at the Numbnuts Exchange in Louisville,KY bring plenty of Vaseline!!

Don't you mean KY jellie

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Glenn, did'ja look in their cabinets and see if they had any slabs comparable to your coins and offer them 80% below market for their coins?

Or, in the alternative, did you offer 80% less for the Lincoln Cent book and ten Cent rolls?

If not, why not?

Jim
  • Options
    I guess KY Jelly would be the appropriate stuff!! image
  • Options
    I've seen their slabs before. They are a NGC dealer but have only a handfull of IGC,PCI, etc.
  • Options
    They must have REALLY liked the 1950's to offer $8.00 each...... image
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    The 50's are worth more. This is the kind of stuff legends are made of. And I don't mean good legends. I have decided not to return to this shop ending a 31 year on/off relation!!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 50's are worth more. This is the kind of stuff legends are made of. And I don't mean good legends. I have decided not to return to this shop ending a 31 year on/off relation!! >>

Don't forget that, as you were leaving, they asked you to order 100 pizzas for delivery image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Great Jeremy!!image
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    For those who say that plastic is worthless, that PCGS grading artificially inflates prices, that the internet is a scam, and that the registry is all hype, read this story. WHO WANTS TO GO BACK TO THESE DAYS?

Greg
  • Options
    Greg, I agree 100%
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just love being insulted by "coin dealers"! Whenever this sort of thing happens to me, I just want to...
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    image I'm going back some day!!
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Read the thread about the guy who went to a local coin dealer and got insulted.
    Carl
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I have decided not to return to this shop ending a 31 year on/off relation!!

It took you 31 years to decide that these guys are wankers? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just paid $36 for a PCGS MS66RD 1995 DDO. I would be thrilled to get $30 to sell it without trying.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

<< <i>I just paid $36 for a PCGS MS66RD 1995 DDO. I would be thrilled to get $30 to sell it without trying. >>

I'm giving my PCGS 1995MS66RD to Ken for the YN July 4 giveaway!! image
  • Options
    BTW, the 1995DDO was worth $60 in Aug 2003.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Offering somebody less than the price it cost them to slab the coin is kind of insulting. >>

I agree!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Offering somebody less than the price it cost them to slab the coin is kind of insulting.
    I agree! >>

I disagree, people routinely slab coins that are worth less than the certification fee.
  • Options
    Gosh! A 1909 s VDB in MS65 RD? $400?....I'll give you 5, no! $600 for it! Am I generous or what!!! image
    (All these wannabe's out there) image
  • Options
    ttt!! image
  • Options
    Paging Mr. Dover

is Ben Dover in the building ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file