Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If You Are Bidding With Mastro, What Will It Be?

Thought it might be interesting to get a feel for what in general people might be bidding on, if bidding at all. For obvious reasons I wouldn't expect people to reveal exactly what they might bid on, but of course that's up to them!

Myself, I'll be shopping in the game used bat and vintage unopened wax box departments (those antique rifles in the Americana catalogue also look mighty fine.... image )

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Probably nothing . . . but I'll be lusting after plenty, that's for sure!
  • Options

Ditto
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    why buy super retail?
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    How about that unopened topps box from the 60s???? That is really something.
  • Options
    Because some things are just not available anywhere else, especially with older game used stuff where you can trust the pedigree.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Certain items in the hobby seem only to surface through Mastro.
    albeit at "super-retail". Not so many years ago there were occassionaly "deals".
    especially from today's perspective....like all those Wilson Franks in psa 8 that I thought were just crazy.
  • Options
    Gotta love those Old Judge Cabinets though
  • Options
    pc

I've seen you get bargains at auctions, (i think even including Mastro, but perhaps not) and flip them on Ebay for a nice profit!!
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    I'm with the others....much I want...less I can afford
  • Options
    mastro is the only place ive never bought a bargain-ever.
    my largest losses also have been from purchases there.
    i suspect those items belonged to principals.
    as to their wax i wouldn't bet it was all as one might
    expect.
  • Options
    More like stupor retail

I figured this would go for about 3,400 plus the juice. So much for the soft market, at least in Mastro-land anyways.
    Maybe I need to sell image
  • Options
    Obvously, Murcerfan knew exactly what lot I had my eye on. I'd sure like that set of 3D Topps. However, I'm not spending that kind of money because I think it's excessive and I don't have any money right now. I don't understand how everyone is so rich out there. Look at those Mastro prices. That's a lot of money. The Superior auction made things look like it was time for a readjustment. Now, Sportscards + and Mastro seemed to have rebounded.

Can someone explain where all this money is coming from? Is it all Peruvian dwarf money? Circus money? I don't get it. This tax system wasn't set up so people could drop twenty grand on baseball cards. It mystifies me and I'm rich.

Also, I'd very much like to finish my 1952 Topps set. I have 15 cards leaving me only 392. One of those complete full sets would probably go a long way towards helping me get all the cards.

Starting to bore even myself with my own posts,

Satan
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <This tax system wasn't set up so people could drop twenty grand on baseball cards.>

I was talking with my neighbor, Leona Helmsly, and she told me that rich people don't have to pay any taxes. If people would just stop paying their taxes, they would have a lot more money left over for baseball cards.

At these prices, there could very well be plenty of capital losses to write off on future tax returns.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    I was talking with my neighbor, Leona Helmsly

Small world . . . my neighbor is Willie Nelson, and he suggests that you should pay your taxes, if only because it saves you money in the long run. And Willie agrees that some of the prices in the Mastro auction are extremely high.

I think Satan is on to something - it must be Peruvian dwarf money. The dwarves always have a lot of coin . . .

POTD = 09/03/2003
  • Options

<< <i>it must be Peruvian dwarf money. The dwarves always have a lot of coin >>

While Peruvian dwarves do have a lot of coin Columbian Dwarves are the uber-rich of the dwarf world ... They have been buying cardsunder assumed names for years....... Satan you're slipping....You brain must be riled by your attempts to acquire that 58 Hires Test Mays

That being said I have very rarely seen an auction without a bargin ... Most lots in Mastronet do go for obscene prices but with all the high priced goodies a few are bound to slip through at lower prices ...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    The good thing about Mastro is that you get to pay them $75 to register for the priviledge of paying obscene prices. And they don't even send you any free grades!

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

$75.00 is a small price to pay for a lifetime of those catalogs...(just make sure you at least bid on the items though).

John
  • Options
    I've won selective "purchases" from them and was satisfied with the price paid. I bid there the same way I bid anywhere else. I set my limit and then don't exceed it.
  • Options
    I totally agree with Vargha, like any other auction (Ebay, live, mail, internet...) Everyone should set their "limit" and bid by it... although i am the first to admit it, I exceed those limits on a regular basis. image

I have bids on 3 items still i am watching, though 2 are already maxed out. I've never won anything with them and i think it is because everything gets some hefty prices.

good luck to all bidding.
  • Options

<< <i>Because ... especially with older game used stuff where you can trust the pedigree. >>

you sure about the trust part?
    i know i am.
  • Options

<< <i> Look at those Mastro prices. That's a lot of money. The Superior auction made things look like it was time for a readjustment. Now, Sportscards + and Mastro seemed to have rebounded. >>

i'm sure you've seen dead cats bounceimage
  • Options

<< <i>I've won selective "purchases" from them and was satisfied with the price paid. I bid there the same way I bid anywhere else. I set my limit and then don't exceed it. >>

hey at 4 in the morning if it aint theirs it's yours!
  • Options
    Noooo... but I have seen cheese bounce.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Noooo... but I have seen cheese bounce. >>

HeHeHe

aconte

• Options

A nice little jump in lot 752 today...from the $170's to $411k.

John
  • Options
    they find one and get 150k for it.
    then they miraculously find the others
    and the original buyer is &%$#@ ed,
  • Options

I thought one of the balls sold for approx $60k.

John
  • Options
    I wouldn't take $60K for one of mine, that's for sure.
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    Vargha, I am approaching social security with a depleted IRA stocked with deflated mutual funds....60K sure sounds like a good deal to me to part with one of my less active body parts. I'm sure the other one will be able to handle the job on its own.

Edited to complete thought....darn Alzhiemer's is kicking in again.
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Is it just me or do some of the prices on non-sports side of Mastro seem a little out of wack:

Abraham Lincoln 1858 Handwritten and Signed Legal Opinion = $9,500 (OK, I would pay that if I had the money- I mean that is true history)

The Ultimate 1962 Topps "Mars Attacks" Complete Set (55) (PSA Graded) = $25,000 (Ummm--- Is this really worth some $450 per card!!!)

I guess this proves 2 things:
    1)There are some really really rich people out there
    2)One mans junk is another mans treasure
  • Options
    MRC -

I also collect presidential autographed materials and the Lincoln item is worth that and more. It will likely exceed $15k. Can't speak to the Mars Attacks cards, but I am always in the market for a NM set of the 1962 Topps Astronauts complete set, which is absent from this Mastro auction.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell you what I will be bidding on, but I can tell you what I am not bidding on. A 1968 3-d set missing one card and all in VG condition. Someone is over paying by only three times. Not a bad deal

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    The funny thing to me is..
    whenever i look back through the catalogs I find myself wishing i had a time machine.

The prices didn't seem quite as ludicrous as this current auction, but i remember grumblings to the same tune: "Great stuff but overpriced"

I have still made some of my best buys and bought some of my favorite stuff from Mastro over the years. But alas.........I will only be cheering you guys on from the sidelines this time 'round.

Rah! Rah! Go Team.

• Options
    I've heard that former mlb players bid on stuff. Did you guys read how gary carter has an extensive card collection of sets, etc.? And I remember Orel Hershiser had an extensive collection. Except for uniforms/jerseys, etc., I bet many of these guys plunk their baseball money on some of this stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if it was a joke or not, but I do know of one guy who doesn't pay his taxes (heck, I think he even bought one of those ebay "don't pay your mortgage" deals) in order to pay for his baseball habit.

bill "diamantedude"