Home Q & A Forum

Sporadic Grading from Multiple Companies...

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mr. Hall,

At Baltimore, I showed ANACS one of my favorite coins- a fully toned 1987 Eagle (I wasn't at the show to show you image)... They told me MS66/67, however, it's been certified... here's how it faired:

PCGS- MS63
NGC- BB/AT
ANACS (last year, verbal) AT, net AU.

People that have seen the coin agree it's a 66 or 67, and the toning on eagles seems, if nothing else, to be getting into slabs easier than any other modern series.

Other than different standards, do you know of any reason for such different grades? Was last year (April/May-September) a time when the services were only just seeing the toning, and then decided how to approach it?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jeremy,

We really have no control over what other grading services grade coins. And we really don't pay very much attention to what they do (though I believe they pay a lot of attention to what we do.) We just try to grade the PCGS submissions according to the PCGS standards. I'm trying to be glib about your question, we just don't have many comments about what the other guys do.

David