Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS POP reports on Modern American Eagle gold coins- What's up with that?

Modern American Eagle gold coins:

July 31, 2003 to August 10, 2003
1988 $25 MS69 102 to 500 an increase of 398 in one week
1989 $25 MS69 47 to 147 +100
1991 $5 MS69 209 to 314 +105
1991 $50 MS69 364 to 463 +99
1992 $25 MS69 397 to 529 +132
1999 $5 MS69 1709 to 2003 +294
2000 $5 MS69 1817 to 2097 +280
2003 $5 MS69 5060 to 5174 +114
2003 $10 MS69 5292 to 5729 +437
2003 $25 MS69 5801 to 6346 +361
2003 $50 MS69 12451 to 13829 +1378

Hey PCGS, are these figures correct? Or is it just a mistake in the post. I would appreciate a response, or at least the name of someone I can call at PCGS to talk to.

Thanks,
John
My web site www.DenverCoin.com
My eBay About Me page DenverCoin on eBay

Comments

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone submitted a whole crate of them...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap! It also shows 209 in MS70 for the 2003 $50, 194 for the $25, 197 for the $10, and 228 for the $5. That spigot is sure wide open.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable, just unbelievable!
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Look at the ad for David Hall Rare Coins in the current Coin World!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    I guess The Coin Vault is getting their Eagles back this week!! image
  • Options
    Jonesy,

Funny you should mention that. Last night, they were selling complete sets of the proof SAEs. But, instead of the usual NGC, they were PCGS.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    The modernists are shaking in thier boots. image

• Options
    Maybe these were crossed over from NGC?
  • Options
    scary...
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QVC running a special on MS70's
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Jonesy' guess......Shop at Home Coin Vault!
    Stay up late at night and watch for the GREAT deals that "can't be guaranteed to be here for the next show. Only a couple left". image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    PCGS on QVC. The end is near.
  • Options
    Another reason why Pop-Tops are a bad investment decision...
  • Options
    If this keeps up they wont be rare anymore. image
  • Options
    They sold a Ton of PCGS last year. I had this on a post earlier as a reason the service time was slow. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another reason why Pop-Tops are a bad investment decision... >>

I have to say that on that quote, I have come to agree with it. I think the only way to do the pop-top/top-pop thing is if you get yours from the mint early, get it graded HIGH (MS70/PR70) early and then SELL it immediately.
    If you really want it to have then buy one later when the prices come down. Heck you might even get your original back at a lower price image

I, personally, like some of the moderns, but, I am not big on slabbing them at the moment.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Any coin can be a bad investment decision. Just look at all the older couples at shows trying to sell the common date Saints they bought for $2500 as an "investment".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jonesy,

Funny you should mention that. Last night, they were selling complete sets of the proof SAEs. But, instead of the usual NGC, they were PCGS.

Russ, NCNE >>

Damn now the turn around times will really suck if those people start using pcgs image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are a bad investment decision. Stock and bonds are good investment
    decisions. If you know about real estate it can be a good investment decision.

Coins are a great collectible decision and can bring lots of enjoyment. Pop tops
    too can be a lot of fun to collect. If you must invest in anything then you should
    do your homework rather than just buy what a broker, advisor, or dealer suggests.
    None of the pops on any moderns are done going up. Some are going much higher
    and some will go significantly higher but most all will be going higher. Those who
    are familiar with these coins are hardly surprised and hardly concerned. Indeed it
    would be of far greater concern if the pops were to hold steady since it would indi-
    cate a lack of interest.

A high grade coin with a population of a few dozen or even a few thousand will look
    rare if there are even more people who want them. People who know these coins
    know that some are rare and this won't change. They also know that changes in one
    sector of the market has no real influence on other sectors of the market. People who
    desire a high grade '87 Kennedy half will not substitute a SAE even if it's cheaper.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Stay up late at night and watch for the GREAT deals that "can't be guaranteed to be here for the next show. Only a couple left". >>

They have been trying to sell their 40 year Mint Sets for about 4 months now and its always the same "not enough to go around so buy now we cannot gurantee they will last until the next show". They were selling the 4 piece gold SAE in NGC MS69 for $1599.95 I think.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I don't see where this comes as a big surprise. I think most of these coins are high grade and really not worth submitting. If everyone of these was graded by PCGS how many would be MS70? Say if it's just 10% that's a rather large amount of coins! mike
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it is purely a coincidence that the supply of these coins has suddenly increased just in time for them to be promoted by XXXX.

pure coincidence.

just like it was pure coincidence that the population of slabed rainbow-toned morgan dollars suddenly increased just as they began to zoom up in value.

K S
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just like it was pure coincidence that the population of slabed rainbow-toned morgan dollars suddenly increased just as they began to zoom up in value. >>
      Karl, it's nice to know I am not the only one that realizes most rainbow toned morgans are AT. mike
    • Options
      TWQG, If you were on the open forum, you would have won a POTD award for your quote!! image

<< <i>PCGS on QVC. The end is near >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file