Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Proof Jeff Gang: Prices from great Jeff group on Heritage last night

A mixture of strong prices and some good-buys in Heritage ANA Bullet Auction (online only) that closed last night. Here are the prices of significant pieces, all are PCGS graded proof Jeffs, and prices include the 15-percent juice. Comments on prices?

38...67...$345
39 Rev. of 40...66...$529
40...67...$345
40 Rev. of 38...65...$299
41...67...$345
42-P...67...$357 and $322
50...67 DCAM...$3,680
50...68...$322 image (yours truly) 16/0
51...68...$334 image (didn't want the '50 to be lonely) 13/0
52...68...$201 and $127
54...69...$299
56...68 CAM...$173
60...68 DCAM...$236
61...68 DCAM...$178
62...69 DCAM...$253 and $253
64...70...$213 (know where this one is headed)
71 No S...67 CAM...$891

Comments

• coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭

<< <i>A mixture of strong prices and some good-buys in Heritage ANA Bullet Auction (online only) that closed last night. Here are the prices of significant pieces, all are PCGS graded proof Jeffs, and prices include the 15-percent juice. Comments on prices?

39 Rev. of 40...66...$529

41...67...$345

60...68 DCAM...$236
    >>

Ok, I'll admit it. I didn't get to go to Baltimore, and I thought Heritage's Bullet Auction had some nice coins at attractive prices image I bought the above three.

From the picture, the 1939 rev of 1940 appears to have a frosted Montecello. If it does, it will definitely be a favorite of mine (anyone see it at Baltimore?). It also sold for $690 in the August 2001 Atlanta Heritage Bullet Auction so I think it was a good price. Certainly Heritage has made enough money off of it.

The 1941 will allow my 1938-1964 Jeffs to move up to page one (at least for a little while) so I'm looking forward to it. Obviously, I thought it's price and the price for the 1960 were quite acceptable. Overall I thought the prices were a little weak, with not as much last minute bidding as I had expected.

And Randy, I never thought of updating my sets by using the numbers from the Heritage pictures. You can guess where I'm heading now!

CoolKarma
  • I've been looking for a 1960 in 68 DCAM, I guess I just missed out.

I am pretty sure I paid more for my '39 rev of '40 and it didn't have any frosting.

Congratuations on the new purchases gang!
  • Some of those prices looked liked bargins. Looks like you guys made some great buys!
  • BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Congrats on the new purchases, everyone! I bought that '64 in PR70, to add to my brilliant set. Only seven of these, and I've been looking for one for a while.

Now, I just have to get a '41 in PR68, and magically obtain the one '42-P in PR69 (I doubt I could afford it, if it came up for sale), and I'll have pop top brilliants, in one set or another, for the '38-'64 run.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have bought the 50 in 67DCAM in a heartbeat, but, needed a little bit more special coin for my customer. Overall, top pop proof Jeffs have been coming down in price, especially 1938-42, as was fully expected by many. image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Randy;

I agree with your assessment - some of the prices were strong while others represented bargains. The proofs 38 -42 in PF67 appear to be trending in a simalar price range. Some of the varieties seem to be at bargain prices.

I also agree with Wondercoin that the 38 - 42 PF68s are trending down. Maybe it is time to add a few?

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    After some more checking, there were some definite bargains to be had at Heritage. As Frank notes, the 38-42 coins in PR-67 seemed to have settled in a range of roughly $320 to $350, but still up a good 25 to 30 percent from less than one year ago. The prices on the reverse varieties surprised me as a bit on the low side, as well. The PR-68 1950 and 1951 I won, while they do not often surface, were going for around $500 each some time ago, so I guess that is good news when you are buying. (A PR-68 1950 went for $190 on TT on Wednesday, but looked like a dog to me with a spot on the bridge of Tom's nose and other problems.) I sincerely believe ANA sapped a lot of demand and cash from the market and post-convention is a good time to buy. Meanwhile, some top coins continue to roll out of Newport Beach. Another 42 Ty. 1 in 68, now 5/0, has been pointed out to me, and 1938 in PR-67 took a noticeable six-coin jump this week.
  • Cool Karma wrote:

<< <i>

From the picture, the 1939 rev of 1940 appears to have a frosted Montecello. If it does, it will definitely be a favorite of mine (anyone see it at Baltimore?). >>

My coins from the Heritage Bullet Sale arrived today. It was worth the wait. The The 1939 Reverse of 1940 does have a distinctly frosted Montecello. The reverse is solid cameo. Nice contrast. Even the obverse has a modest cameo. I love it.

The 1941 is a nice steel gray. Under dim light you can see just the beginnings of a ring of gold toning around the rim. Beneath the steel gray, the 1941 also has frost, particularly on Montecello. However, there is minimal contrast because of the steel gray toning.

The 1960 has an incredible obverse golden dcam+. The reverse is only cameo, not dcam - it is impressive at some angles, but not at others. Although the obverse is incredible, I might not have purchased this one if I had gone to Baltimore... I think I'll look at Jefferson and not Montecello on this one!

In spite of the detailed descriptions, none are for saleimage The descriptions are in lieu of a camera and pictures. Any camera recommendations?

CoolKarma

CoolKarma
  • Congratulations on that '39 reverse of '40. It looks like a really great coin! Very nice indeed. I notice you also have a '42-P in 66 Cameo registered in your set. I think we have similar tastes image

I do recommend getting a camera. I have a fairly cheap one and am considering upgrading to a Nikkon Coolpix 4500. I hear there is a newer model and I'm hoping to buy a used one early next year for cheap image